Jayden Bogle - Left for Sheffield United

Rev

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Walker-Peters is 23 though. 

I agree he has a head start on Bogle. That wasn't the point I was making. I'm a big fan of Bogle. Others are suggesting that we cash in on him. What I'm saying though is that - if Walker-Peters is as cheap as 10 million - we wouldn't get that much for Bogle.

I think Bogle is worthy of his place in our side and will only get better. It's not worth selling him on the cheap.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I agree he has a head start on Bogle. That wasn't the point I was making. I'm a big fan of Bogle. Others are suggesting that we cash in on him. What I'm saying though is that - if Walker-Peters is as cheap as 10 million - we wouldn't get that much for Bogle.

I think Bogle is worthy of his place in our side and will only get better. It's not worth selling him on the cheap.

Walker-Peters is valued at only £10m because of his age and Spurs want to sell. 
Bogle is younger, possibly higher potential, and at a club who don’t want to sell him.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bogle is younger, possibly higher potential, and at a club who don’t want to sell him.

Plus Walker-Peters is coming out of contract 31 July (according to transfermarkt)

Bogle has a problem, the problem being he has no real competition for his place. This can lead to complacency.

The solution isn’t to sell him, cash in,  we need to find competition for him, create a fight for the position.

He’s 19, probably still gets ID’d when buying a box of matches, would be foolish to write him off already.

1 hour ago, David said:

Bogle has a problem, the problem being he has no real competition for his place. This can lead to complacency.

The solution isn’t to sell him, cash in,  we need to find competition for him, create a fight for the position.

He’s 19, probably still gets ID’d when buying a box of matches, would be foolish to write him off already.

He might be good enough for Spurs or AC Milan, but he surely ain't good enough for Derby.

Right?

19 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We want watertight defenders who run like the wind and can produce pinpoint crosses

This is one of the things which frustrates me

On the LHS we have Fozzy and Malone who are both very decent crossers of the ball - The key thing being whilst they only produce a 'killer' ball every now and then the 'bad' crosses they send in are still in and around the right area for strikers to take a half chance on

When Bogle produces a 'killer' ball it's amazing - But his bad crosses are so wayward they're as likely to hit the roof of the stadium as anything else

So - On the basis our style of play is to get our fullbacks putting in crosses from deep - Why is Bogle not being nailed to the training ground for an extra hour every day whacking crosses in? I always remember Beckham being asked about his crossing ability and being very clear about it - He put in 2 extra hours training every day just taking freekicks and putting in crosses - It's not a natural ability it's a learned skill

You can learn it over years in the game obviously - But why not get a head start on it by putting in some extra work?

Massive caveat - He may well be doing this - But I've seen no evidence of a comprehensive improvement over the last 2 seasons

38 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

On the LHS we have Fozzy and Malone who are both very decent crossers of the ball - The key thing being whilst they only produce a 'killer' ball every now and then the 'bad' crosses they send in are still in and around the right area for strikers to take a half chance on

When Bogle produces a 'killer' ball it's amazing - But his bad crosses are so wayward they're as likely to hit the roof of the stadium as anything else

So - On the basis our style of play is to get our fullbacks putting in crosses from deep - Why is Bogle not being nailed to the training ground for an extra hour every day whacking crosses in? I always remember Beckham being asked about his crossing ability and being very clear about it - He put in 2 extra hours training every day just taking freekicks and putting in crosses - It's not a natural ability it's a learned skill

You can learn it over years in the game obviously - But why not get a head start on it by putting in some extra work?

Massive caveat - He may well be doing this - But I've seen no evidence of a comprehensive improvement over the last 2 seasons

Yes Bogle in particular is guilty of massively over-hitting crosses which means there is no hope of a Derby player getting on the end of them. 

I would be happier with him playing a gentle cut back which would at least keep a late runner interested. 

So easy to improve upon as you say with a few words of advice and practice. 

38 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I have to massively disagree with you. Malone and Fozzy are unreliable with their crossing, often going into the stand behind the goal. Malone does it the most, Fozzy the least, with Bogle somewhere in between (closer to Fozzy than Malone)

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I have to massively disagree with you. Malone and Fozzy are unreliable with their crossing, often going into the stand behind the goal. Malone does it the most, Fozzy the least, with Bogle somewhere in between (closer to Fozzy than Malone)

I think you and I are watching different players - But that's your opinion so ?‍♂️

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Walker Peters is currently a better defender.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Walker Peters is currently a better defender.

And his value is reflected by his age, not being wanted by his parent club, and having only 1 year on his contract. 

Those are just three reasons why we can still value Bogle more highly than Spurs value Walker-Peters. 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And his value is reflected by his age, not being wanted by his parent club, and having only 1 year on his contract. 

Those are just three reasons why we can still value Bogle more highly than Spurs value Walker-Peters. 

As I say, currently Walker Peters is the better defender, seen him 4 or 5 times for Saints and he is very good. Talk of a 10 million permanent move to a prem club...be surprised if we got 10 million for Bogle.

Is he better than the majority of the Championship right backs, yes. Could he play for England as a full back, possibly.

I think people need to remember he's only played as a right back for 3 years? He's still learning the role. 

On 17/07/2020 at 11:40, cheron85 said:

The thing is if you just glance at the number of assists it screams that Bogle is far more effective at producing that final ball than any other full back at the club. He's currently sat on 14 assists in the championship in two seasons whereas Malone has 14 assists since 13/14,  Forsyth 18 since 13/14 and Wisdom 8 since 13/14 (obviously there are some mitigating circumstances with Wisdom).

Assists are by no means a perfect statistic but I think they are a valid means of comparison here given how we play and what it suggests is Bogle is a fair bit ahead in terms of directly influencing goals all ready. 

14 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Is he better than the majority of the Championship right backs, yes. Could he play for England as a full back, possibly.

I think people need to remember he's only played as a right back for 3 years? He's still learning the role. 

It's crazy how many matches he's played for his age. As soon as he becomes a better defender, he's really going to propel himself. Because he's currently shackled his biggest asset, being great at driving forward in order to develop as a defender.

He'll develop considerably next season at Derby because I think the back 5 (keeper included) will be so much better and more comfortable on and off the ball.

Coccu needs to ensure that he doesn't implant a fear into Bogle though. He shouldn't fear driving up the pitch. He shouldn't get caught in two minds. 

Bit of a controversial opinion but i think bogle is overrated at the moment. 

He's just alright, he's good for his age & is a prospect. Im not denying he's one of the better championship right backs & has potential. 

Just his crossing needs to improve, see a lot of over & underhit balls. Positioning needs to be better & all round defending, stopping crosses etc. 

He's good but he's got a long way to go to before he is anywhere near as good as some people on here rate him 

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Bit of a controversial opinion but i think bogle is overrated at the moment. 

He's just alright, he's good for his age & is a prospect. Im not denying he's one of the better championship right backs & has potential. 

Just his crossing needs to improve, see a lot of over & underhit balls. Positioning needs to be better & all round defending, stopping crosses etc. 

He's good but he's got a long way to go to before he is anywhere near as good as some people on here rate him 

For a 19 year old he is doing very well and we need remind ourselves of that sometimes ( I do think we would sell him if we need the money ) 

Archived