v QPR (H) Match Thread

peachmyster

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Our attackers are so frustrating. Marriott strolls about, not doing a lot, and then is completely careless with the ball. Waghorn scores a brilliant freekick, and then loses his mind completely and gives away the dumbest penalty of the season, the guy is not going towards the goal, why he did what he did doesn't even make sense to me. All he had to do was not dive in. 

Martin has to start. He's our only striker with a brain. The other strikes are optional extras, Martin is the best footballer we have in our squad.

And that is the biggest reason to criticise Cocu. He has seen what happened when Marriott has lead the line before  and ignores what he has seen, especially in contrast to the first half against Preston, when Martin starts the game in that position. Martin helps other players to raise their game and Cocu himself has acknowledged that.

Cocu has been very unlucky regarding injuries and the impact on selection but he shows little sign of successfully evaluating his best eleven.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

And that is the biggest reason to criticise Cocu. He has seen what happened when Marriott has lead the line before  and ignores what he has seen, especially in contrast to the first half against Preston, when Martin starts the game in that position. Martin helps other players to raise their game and Cocu himself has acknowledged that.

Cocu has been very unlucky regarding injuries and the impact on selection but he shows little sign of successfully evaluating his best eleven.

Martin has had well documented fitness/illness issues. I think we all know he is integral to the team but we cannot become reliant on him. Home game against fellow midtable side, third game in a week, seems a fair time to try something else up top. We have to have an alternative to Martin, there is no way he can play every match over the festive period.

When you get an opportunity you have to take it. Martin and Shinnie are great examples of this. Marriott, sadly, is not. You won't get the best out of him on his own up top but he has to offer more. His super sub play off heroics have masked a longer standing period of poor form. 

9 hours ago, Coconut said:

We didn't have 3 at the back though, because of Beilik's injury. Maybe for 3 minutes at the start?

Effinghell -  my friend sat next to me identified early on, after 3 minutes, that we were playing with a back 4 despite what the team sheet implied, 40 minutes into the first half some people behind us to the left started saying "this looks morelike 4-2-3-1 than what I expcected, Wisdom is playing RB". After 75 minutes and the final subs some fuckwits declared "we've switched to a standard back four" but it had been that way for 70  minutes already.

Please excuse me if I think the majority of football fans are slow witted, intellectually constipated morons.

Even the most dim-witted fan will have correctly determined we didn't play well yesterday and the several formations used didn't suit the players on the pitch except in the last 10 minutes. 

Do you see much of the match in your self-elevate position? Did it look like we played well from up there?

Spent yesterday creating memories, living away from Derby my role has Uncle has been sporadic at best.

Got down to Pride Park early, got him kitted out with a shirt and scarf, printed with his favourite player.

Watched him stood there open mouthed as Rooney walked on to the pitch, looked a little star struck, as I was to be fair. 

Think he spent most of the game watching the dugout and the guy to our left stood in shorts frothing at the mouth at every pass which didn’t go forward.

I usually leave a couple minutes early, beat the traffic but stayed till the final whistle before guiding him through the grumbling crowd.

Not read the match thread, but I would guess many noticed it wasn’t a great game, but this kid loved every minute of it. For me that made the afternoon even though he declined the offer of free sweets outside the ground they were handing out, could have given them me?

Asked if he would like to go to the Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday games, his head almost fell of enthusiastically nodding.

Will contact the ticket office Monday, see if I can relocate the seats, for all the good the South Stand does there are some venomous mouths in there which you can sense have waited all week to eject the bile.

Each to their own. I can’t wait for Millwall.

CA0B30A4-308B-4E71-8C86-511C7C076E38.jpeg
DF7DE112-8345-43AE-991C-A04C2CE1584A.jpeg

28C16F27-8016-4C49-A63B-F438EE03ED20.jpeg

8 minutes ago, David said:

Spent yesterday creating memories, living away from Derby my role has Uncle has been sporadic at best.

Got down to Pride Park early, got him kitted out with a shirt and scarf, printed with his favourite player.

Watched him stood there open mouthed as Rooney walked on to the pitch, looked a little star struck, as I was to be fair. 

Think he spent most of the game watching the dugout and the guy to our left stood in shorts frothing at the mouth at every pass which didn’t go forward.

I usually leave a couple minutes early, beat the traffic but stayed till the final whistle before guiding him through the grumbling crowd.

Not read the match thread, but I would guess many noticed it wasn’t a great game, but this kid loved every minute of it. For me that made the afternoon even though he declined the offer of free sweets outside the ground they were handing out, could have given them me?

Asked if he would like to go to the Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday games, his head almost fell of enthusiastically nodding.

Will contact the ticket office Monday, see if I can relocate the seats, for all the good the South Stand does there are some venomous mouths in there which you can sense have waited all week to eject the bile.

Come on David, where’s your smile???

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Come on David, where’s your smile???

I was frozen, how I even moved my arms to take the picture I’ll never know. Not sure how we got back to the car, didn’t feel a thing. Is this old age? Have I reached it or was it really cold yesterday for everyone?

It's great to see the football through a young person's eyes; makes you appreciate the things that many take for granted.

We are so desperately disappointed with our experience in West Stand Upper so far. When players came out yesterday we only witnessed one other person clapping. Everyone is busy catching up with family news and the latest political situation and the football is a sideshow.

I hope that I never take being able to afford and having the good health to attend football for granted.

Good on you for bringing on a new generation of fan, @David - what a great way to get to know your nephew better. 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

We are so desperately disappointed with our experience in West Stand Upper so far. When players came out yesterday we only witnessed one other person clapping

You stalking me? I was clapping, AND sang Steve Bloomer! Think you're a little unfair about the West stand clapping, there was quite a bit near us, although to be fair, that may have been to warm up. Anyway why are you watching the crowd?

Thing is football is a social occasion so people do catch up and talk before the game start., The pathetic walk out behind the ref and fake bonhomie handshakes are just tedious and no-one gives a darn, then you get the nonsense in the middle before toss-up, just get on with it! 

Football is the main show or should be but yesterday was just awful, sitting there in the cold.

But I am really pleased for  @David and his nephew even with a poor game.

33 minutes ago, David said:

I have but two regrets in life...

Not being in a financial position to go to the match through the bulk of the 80's/early 90's, and take my 2 boys with me, when they were "at the right age", and later, being in such a position to take my grandson every week... which I did... but him just not "getting it", so now I don't, anymore!

Get laddo over in the NE corner, where the atmosphere is much less "aggressive".  (I may even get you both a nice warming bovril, if I bump into you!).
Looking at his pic (age-wise), he'll be begging to go back into the South Stand in a couple of years anyway... with his mates, not his uncle!  ?

Oh... and a massive well done.  I'm jealous!  ?

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I have but two regrets in life...

Not being in a financial position to go to the match through the bulk of the 80's/early 90's, and take my 2 boys with me, when they were "at the right age", and later, being in such a position to take my grandson every week... which I did... but him just not "getting it", so now I don't, anymore!

Get laddo over in the NE corner, where the atmosphere is much less "aggressive".  (I may even get you both a nice warming bovril, if I bump into you!).
Looking at his pic (age-wise), he'll be begging to go back into the South Stand in a couple of years anyway... with his mates, not his uncle!  ?

Oh... and a massive well done.  I'm jealous!  ?

One of my biggest regrets was missing Lampard’s tenure through health, some health situations are unavoidable but mine wasn’t, I just avoided the doctor.

Not a chance I was missing this.

As @angieram talked about, many appear to take football for granted when many can’t attend for financial, family or health reasons. 

My sisters a single parent now, 3 kids, no way could she afford a shirt as anyone with kids will know, if you buy for one you have to buy for all. 

With zero interest in football herself matches would be a no go, so for this kid to walk into school on Monday morning and be able to talk about the match will no doubt give him an extra bounce in his step.

Staying in the area for a week on the 9th so there will be a +1 on the attendance clapping away. 

(other 2 are a bit young, and one has a few issues with autism for me to handle)

5 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Thing is football is a social occasion so people do catch up and talk before the game start., The pathetic walk out behind the ref and fake bonhomie handshakes are just tedious and no-one gives a darn, then you get the nonsense in the middle before toss-up, just get on with it! 

Football is the main show or should be but yesterday was just awful, sitting there in the cold.

But I am really pleased for  @David and his nephew even with a poor game?

happy gael garcia bernal GIF by Mozart In The Jungle

Agree with your sentiments, Unfortunately that's the nature of todays football, Keep the show going to fill a little void in the game(a void made by footballs dim wits)

I do not applaud when the teams jog onto the pitch, I show my support by buying a season ticket, If people choose too or not too no big deal.

As age creeps along and the cold sets in my enthusiasm wanes a little, For the very younger generation in todays game enjoy your time at PP you might be lucky, Very very lucky and see a trophy, When I leave this earth(not for a few years yet)I can say I was there when we were good...no, Really good.

From a curmudgeonly old timer ?

A few thoughts from the game:

Cocu might as well of played Martin instead of Marriott, especially in that first half, because we were mostly booting it long. Marriott has not had a good season so far but we aren't exactly playing to his strengths, he is looking for quality crosses and passes so he can run in behind but most of our players cant provide that and the tactics are right for him

The midfield was a mess. Holmes had an alright game but often he was far too deep and when we lost the ball he was the only one in the midfield.

Outside of his goals, Waghorn has been poor for weeks, I would rather see Knight, Sibley or Whittaker given an opportunity.

Lawrence worked hard at the start but when things weren't going his way he went quiet for the rest of game.

I thought Wisdom and Forsyth both had decent games but I don't know why Malone started and not Lowe

TobyWanKenobi

Cocu now really cant win with attackers.

Doesn't start Martin: "But he's the only attacker with a brain!"
Doesn't start Marriottt: "But he's the best goalscorer we've got!"
Doesn't start Wagorn: "But he's out top goalscorer!"
Doesn't start Whittaker: "Why aren't we giving youth a chance?!"

Never change internet Derby fans.

2 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

Cocu now really cant win with attackers.

Doesn't start Martin: "But he's the only attacker with a brain!"
Doesn't start Marriottt: "But he's the best goalscorer we've got!"
Doesn't start Wagorn: "But he's out top goalscorer!"
Doesn't start Whittaker: "Why aren't we giving youth a chance?!"

Never change internet Derby fans.

All of our best performances have come with Martin on the pitch. 

Usually try to find the positives in most matches.   The only one from yesterday was that we didn’t lose.  I’ve not read the match day thread, but I’m sure it contains a lot frustration.

Apologies if this has been said before, but it seemed such a lethargic performance.  Second to almost everything.  We were also so much weaker than them.  We were just bouncing off their players.  They were (generally) able to break play up much more than we seemed to be able disrupt their play. Too many anonymous players - particularly Lawrence.  Felt sorry for Bogle being expected to play out of position.  Looked lost.

Oh well.  

I’ve cooled down now ( just about) from yesterday’s game. Derby are infuriating at the moment. Really thought performances were going in the right direction and then Preston was a great win, since then it feels we’ve taken 2 or 3 steps backwards and it’s only been a week!!

Yesterday was extremely poor. Too slow on the ball, no plan, draw was absolutely the right result. We deserved no more. Too many changes were made - I agreed with most of them but dropping Lowe I just didn’t get. Bogle further forward didn’t work. 

The impact of the injuries has been a big factor. Evans can’t cut it as the sole holding midfielder - Holmes is a 10 or a wide player he’s not a box to box midfielder - we dont have any in fact - shinnie is the closest we have one and it’s no coincidence he’s been in the team when we’ve started winning matches.

Injuries, lack of the right personnel, whatever - this team right now is nowhere near good enough to challenge and without midfield signings in January it won’t challenge. Think I thought deep down early season we wouldnt challenge but now the reality is setting in it’s hard to take. And the playoffs only being 6 points away is just a tease!!!

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yet again, ONE individual error costs us 2 points. If we don't give away the penalty we win the game. Simple.

Add QPR (H) to Swansea, Stoke, WBA as games where we deserved more than we got.

Yep, lots of fine margins. We could easily be a very unimpressive team with a terrible away record somehow sitting 4th in the table.

As for yesterday, with Bielik in the team and sticking with the 3 at the back rather than dropping it three minutes into the game we win it easily.

Bogle & Malone actually playing as wing-backs, Marriott & Waghorn up top and the job's a good 'un. Bogle & Waghorn as the wingers, George Evans getting nowhere near to making a tackle forcing Duane Holmes to come deep, make the tackle instead and then try to start and end the move all by himself, central defenders having nobody to pass short to because Evans is hiding behind an opposition player and... eurgh.

I understand the logic that it was stupid for us to change the formation & team up after 5 home wins, coming up against a terribly out of sorts QPR but in a way it's also the ideal time to try something different. What better chance are you going to have to experiment?

This season is all about finding out what works and what doesn't, which players have a future at the club. We've got a £4m right back in Andre Wisdom, but to give him game time we have to drop Bogle, do that we'd have to suffer a load of people complaining about the manager being negative and not choosing an attacking RB, ignoring that Wisdom has previously been part of a very attacking team under McClaren.

Yesterday was supposed to be a way of killing both of those birds with one stone - Wisdom gets a full game and Bogle can concentrate on his attacking play, but then Bielik gets injured, we throw what we'd been working on for the game out of the window. Despite an awful performance we were still one stupid decision away from recording a victory.

Martin should always play, but maybe he wasn't up to a 90 minute performance? Let's not forget he's still got some fitness issues. Lowe vs Malone - Lowe is a better all-round player but I never really expect him to provide a killer final ball. Malone carries a greater attacking threat as shown when he was at Fulham, and occasionally has done here. If the original intention was to play with a back 4 then Lowe would probably have been slelected, but we were planning to play with wing-backs, so Malone was chosen.

That Bielik injury ducked us over big time. As soon as the change to the line-up was announced I regretted my pre-match prediction of an easy victory!

Archived