v QPR (H) Match Thread

peachmyster

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not sure the point in that formation. To make it work you need to be comfortable on the ball at the back and be confident in hitting the diagonals into the space behind their winger for the wing back. We are neither of those things. Disappointed Cocu didn’t change it earlier, but unfortunately, he’s not displayed an ability to alter a game at half time yet. 

Referee wasn’t great but can’t blame him for this one. I think it was a penalty (happened right in front of me) but I do think it should have been retaken. He was wildly inconsistent through the rest of the game though. 

Malone very very poor again. He’s leaving a lot to be desired at the moment. The amount of times he has an opportunity to move with the ball and be positive and he checks back is frustrating as hell, let alone some of the blindly wayward passes. 

Marriott anonymous... and I know we wanted a goal but he had every right to be taken off. Looked lazy and a bit plump today in all honesty. 

Bogle looked like he’s never played wing back before. Maybe he could do it in time but he did look lost unfortunately. 

Bielik a huge huge loss but I’m not sure that would’ve changed much of the lethargy and lack of creativity. 

Hamer is not better than Roos. He’s no better at the high ball and worse with his feet. 

Bright spots? Whittaker and Knight. I have never not been impressed with Jason Knight. 

All in all... not a fun day at the office. 

Disagree on the ref, thought he was sound and consistent, didn’t have a deal to do.

Nothing wrong with the run up to the penalty as well. All perfectly legal 

Agree with everything else 

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I think the system change is a result of Shinnie's injury; we didn't look all that balanced against Preston, especially in the second half. And especially not against Fulham

As for the changes to personnel; if players are good at home but awful away, you can't drop them after playing well at home; if you also didn't drop them after awful away performances because they've played well in past home games they never lose their place despite being crap in half of all games.

??? its the best we've played all season 

8 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

But what shows you so far that next season will be any better than this we’re watching now 

It’s a fair and valid point 

I’m really trying to find positives but really struggling 

Barr minimum for this year was see a stable core of players that might be able to take us forward 

hard to see when there’s no stability from one week to the next 

1 minute ago, sage said:

??? its the best we've played all season 

Playing well =/= being balanced. 

If we could bring the energy levels we had v Preston to every game, the balance of the team would be irrelevant. As would, the shape, excluding any absurd formations. 

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

Cocu clueless again. Changes the whole formation and then changes it again 25 mins in because it was awful. A lot of pressure on a result at Blackburn now which doesn’t look likely 

It seemed obvious to me we lined up as a 4231 from kickoff. Their full backs pushed up (particularly their LB) and made it like like Bogle was RWB and Wisdom RCB. Our 4231 was very close to a 4411/442.

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

What happened to Bielik? Thought he was in the starting XI.

Only just noticed? ?

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree on the ref, thought he was sound and consistent, didn’t have a deal to do.

Disagree on the penalty should have been retaken under the latest law..run up was fine but you cannot now stop and then strike the ball after the keeper is committed which is exactly what he did.

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I think there was a clear yellow on a late tackle from behind on Forsyth first half, and that youth certainly should’ve had a second yellow for kicking the ball away. Think the linesman missed a couple of handballs first half, and the opposite one missed 2 foul throws. 

Didn’t enjoy that but with the injuries we have I have to stomach it but QPR are a poor side and we looked one as well 

Hamer - what I expected- no improvement on Roos 

wisdom - did nothing wrong at all 

davies - ok 

forsyth - ok

malone - poor in my opinion

Evans - he’s just another Butterfield without the ability to shoot - I thought he was very poor

bogle - tried but looked lost 

holmes - sorry he is just not a central midfielder and unfortunately he is more dangerous to our defenders than the opposition defenders - I would play him wide 

Lawrence- we needed more from him today

waghorn - lovely free kick and he has the best delivery from a set piece but we hardly use it - stupid penalty against him

marriott - waste of time when he is on his own 

subs- Martin - little time ( why didn’t  he start after his last 2  home games 

knight - a bit of urgency 

whittaker - a bit of urgency 

Cocu - I would have liked to have seen us with mobile central midfield ( knight sibley? Perhaps) do we need a defensive midfielder sitting on top of the central defenders and please 2 actual centre forwards playing next to each other 

5 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Disagree on the penalty should have been retaken under the latest law..run up was fine but you cannot now stop and then strike the ball after the keeper is committed which is exactly what he did.

He didn’t stop 

Not sure why the chopping and changing from Cocu has been put down to tinkerism. 

Perhaps there's an element of Cocu not knowing his best team, but even if he did, the amount of injuries, suspensions and off-the-field goings on have ensure that putting the same XI out week after week has been virtually impossible.

You have too be still in a forward motion or it is classified has a stop which he wasn't.You can stutter your run up has long has you are still  moving forward but a pause before striking the ball no matter how long is not allowed.

The officials claim he was still in motion according too Cocu, he disagrees has do I and various others.

It is the way of football differing opinions even var causes it and that was suppose to provide clarity on decisions.

19 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Sorry, ref was inconsistent. Booked Malone in the first half, then Lawrence gets clattered badly. No card. At around 30 minutes throw in on the left. Their defender has his arms round Marriott neck in the box, blatant penalty. Sorry, I hate being narky about refs, they have a tough job but despite lots of shirt pulling and dodgy tackling we got less than half of what we should have in the balance of decisions. Peno was spot on though. No excuse though. Draw was a fair result. 

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Really poor.

Ill back Cocu and will continue to do so, but his in game management today has to be questioned.

1st of all, he changed the system which he chose to start the game (3-5-2) after only 10 minutes of the game back to 4-2-3-1. This resulted in players playing out of position and it showed. Lucky to be 1-0 ahead with a bit of magic off a free kick, however QPR deserved to get level. The substitutions second half for me didn't make sense when we need a goal. No problem bringing Whittaker on, however I would personally have replaced Wisdom and shifted Bogle to full back. Wisdom had a good game, but Bogle provides one of our best athletes tacking options, which is showed by his assists when played as a full back. Again, agree with he introduction of Martin & Knight, however taking Marriott off and leaving Evans on is ridiculous. Evans was negative all day and got himself marked, where as while Marriott had no service, he has to stay on when we need a goal.

Really missed Bielik in midfield today and also the legs of Shinnie.

Your final sentence was the reason for all of the rest before it.

With Bielik in that team we're playing with 2 up top and wing backs, and it probably looks and plays a lot better than what we got.

With Bielik replaced by the awfully ineffective George Evans we couldn't play the way we wanted.

Am I alone in getting to hate this word transition. We are stuck on the treadmill of transition. It doesn't worry me too much if we lose provided we go down fighting to the bitter end.  However this current group all too often seem to lack the desire, passion, fighting spirit, team awareness to win and give up too easily. The squad doesn't seem to be gelling as a unit. Is it Cocu's changing team selection, injuries, mental attitude, or what?  Whatever it does concern me that Cocu doesn't seem to be able to bring out the best in this squad.  Something is wrong and just hoping that Rooney is going to be the one to turn it around is a big ask.

43 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

With the players we had available it is not a surprise to me that we struggled to get the win.

Disappointed that only one up front, Marriott did not really have much of a chance so can’t be too critical.

Hamer no improvement on Roos. Who else can we try. Mitchell or Ravas?

Bit harsh to judge Hamer on just one game.

Archived