Cocu’s taking us up...

DCFC27

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Here's the state of things:

We play Boro next. They've been absolutely awful this season and don't look like going anywhere fast. A team we should absolutely be beating, just like Barnsley. 3 points here is a crucial.

We then face Forest. Getting pasted by them again would be awful. I know they've looked dodgy lately (especially against Hull) but considering the way we've played this season, this game could go really badly for us if we're not smart. This fixture has also been the death knell for a lot of Derby manager's in the past. 

Then we've got the international break. Probably the only time you could get rid of a manager if you want to guarantee somebody new is at the helm for 2020.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I think the next two games are going to be massive for Phillip Cocu. I am 100% behind him and thoroughly believe we need the back him and give him time, but two bad defeats, and bad performances, is going to leave Mel in a very difficult situation. We've sacked for a lot less.

Really?

Mac1 - season implosion but catalysed by wanton eyelash fluttering that was never proven nor disproven

Clement - had a squad that was much more stable, of proven ability, but also collapsed. And he signed Nick Blackman and if that aone isn't a sackable offence.......

Pearson - thuggery

Mac2 - only temping and was caught grinning inanely on telly with Hughton

and all the rest have buggered off of their own accord.........?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I am 100% behind him and thoroughly believe we need the back him and give him time, but two bad defeats, and bad performances, is going to leave Mel in a very difficult situation.

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Nnooooooooo!!!

And that's from a "PC fan".

Please let's stop that nonsense talk. Please let's look at the bigger picture, the hand that Cocu was dealt. Support him. Understand the issues, the circumstances. And give the guy the chance to build something big, sustainable and longer term than a couple of wins against Boro and the other lot.

Sheesh.

COYR ?

I do support him. I made sure to include that in the post!

I'm just stating how and where I think we stand at the minute, and where we might be if we don't win the next two games.

I am absolutely not for sacking him. I've been one of the most avid supporters of Cocu since his appointment!!!

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Really?

Mac1 - season implosion but catalysed by wanton eyelash fluttering that was never proven nor disproven

Clement - had a squad that was much more stable, of proven ability, but also collapsed. And he signed Nick Blackman and if that aone isn't a sackable offence.......

Pearson - thuggery

Mac2 - only temping and was caught grinning inanely on telly with Hughton

and all the rest have buggered off of their own accord.........?

There was a lot more to the Pearson and Clement sackings.

Mac repeatedly denied the Newcastle links. Over and over and over again. Sacking him the second time was a massive error, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I do support him. I made sure to include that in the post!

I'm just stating how and where I think we stand at the minute, and where we might be if we don't win the next two games.

I am absolutely not for sacking him. I've been one of the most avid supporters of Cocu since his appointment!!!

Aye, I appreciate that. And that's what troubles me - that if a supporter of Cocu is saying when a good time to replace him is, what are those that do not support him saying?

I do not think Cocu should be beyond criticism but I despair about any talk of replacing him.

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So the assertion that we've sacked for less.........applies only to Mac2 or you think to both occurrences of Mac?

Both Mac spells. Pearson got nine games. Nine! That is not a fair amount of time. 

The only sacking that I believe was fair was Paul Clement.

Mel would have known of Cocu's slow start record before giving him the job. With the recent success of the academy, we need a manager who will look to take that success into the first team.

If we wanted promotion this season, we would have tried to get an experienced manager at this level.

I look at Lampard and Chelsea and see ourselves in a similar situation. The difference there is that he has the quality senior players to put the youngsters alongside.

The thing with the championship is that finishing bottom half one season doesn't rule out winning it the next season or finishing second. Once outside the play offs as long as you aren't relegated, anything is possible the next season. We have spent multiple seasons chasing the short term goal and fallen short. That cycle is over and this the start of the new. We are crying out as a club for continuity.

Cocu has made plenty of mistakes and will continue to do so but I genuinely believe our long term prospects are much better even if we struggle in the short term. I can see all the reasoning behind what he has tried to do, even if I disagree with some.

Society has become a knee jerk nation, please don't let our club become that way.

41 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Both Mac spells. Pearson got nine games. Nine! That is not a fair amount of time. 

Pearson was sacked for gross misconduct. Not because the team were a bit poo. In any walk of employment, gross misconduct is a straight out the door job and so is completely justified.

51 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Nine games too many!

I’d have started to have thoughts that I’d gotten the appointment wrong after we’d played Benfica in pre-season. 

I was hammered on here for calling the appointment out before opening day and I’d have been seriously tempted to swing the axe after seeing his first starting line-up. 

Not a chance he would have survived Burton if I owned the club. 

Didn’t Warnock (WARNOCK!) ring Mel after he was sacked to gloat “everybody knows you can’t play 442 with small midfielders”?

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Nine games too many!

I’d have started to have thoughts that I’d gotten the appointment wrong after we’d played Benfica in pre-season. 

I was hammered on here for calling the appointment out before opening day and I’d have been seriously tempted to swing the axe after seeing his first starting line-up. 

Not a chance he would have survived Burton if I owned the club. 

Didn’t Warnock (WARNOCK!) ring Mel after he was sacked to gloat “everybody knows you can’t play 442 with small midfielders”?

Not Warnock. That was Steve McClaren.

There was a lot more to the Pearson sacking. He could of played whatever formation, but the odds were against him very early on.

Interestingly enough, the man who a lot of people on this forum wanted appointed this summer (Hughton) would likely play with a 4-4-2. Sometimes there's more to it that formations.

As I said, I don't think nine games is enough time for a manager to really change anything. Especially not enough time to implement the kind of restart that LOADS of us on here were crying out for (as well as Mel). Think there was a poll when Pearson got appointment that showed he was a massively popular appointment, wasn't there?!?

10 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

We have to get out this league and fast otherwise we will plummet 

We've been in this league for 12 seasons now, we have the joint most seasons spent in the championship, the second most failed Championship playoff campaigns and the joint longest run of seasons in the Championship. If we need to get out fast we aren't doing a very good job of it.

I personally don't think the league is getting stronger - same as its ever been - if anything its weaker and more even than it has been for a while. Our squad is weak due to our own incompetence, but I don't think we are weak enough to get relegated this year.

Archived