4 points off the top 6

Day

Just now, Derby blood said:

But the quality in this division is very poor, all teams are blowing hot and cold, anything could happened, think we will be pushing top 6 come the end of the season. 

Teams like charlton, bristol at least play well from time to time

We struggle to create most games

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with all the comments here.  I've been so disappointed with us recently yet we're still in the mix and we actually have a reasonable win/loss rate.  Shows how much we expect of this club when the general feeling is currently disappointment and under-achievment. 

Lampard scuppered our pre-season. Cocu had no time to prepare,  nor understood the Championship (and is still learning I feel). 

We've suffered several key injuries to what I would consider our best players (e.g. Bogle, Holmes, Marriott and of course Keogh). Signings are taking time to settle or perform as they ought to (Clarke, Bielik & Dowell). We've had Gibson-Gate and latterly the hugely distracting drink driving incident. And we've had one or two poor decisions against us on the pitch which have swung the result. Yet despite all that we're hanging in there.

For me, as I read all that back, we really have had a rough ride so far this season.  We really are due a bit of lady luck soon and I genuinely believe our season will get better. Rooney coming in is not a magic wand but he WILL bring massive experience, a few goals and a winning mentality. Add to that 2 or 3 cunning January signings and you never know. 

Ok, time for bed. 

Reason for the thread was a little "we're still in this you know", with the way the match thread was going I thought I would open the doors for a little optimism away from the doom and gloom.

Always risky dropping a bit of positivity after a game which wasn't particularly great, but nice to see a few chiming in and realising there's a long way to go and this isn't over yet.

Can't force myself to get excited. Don't think I'm a negative poster but I think i was looking at 2 Champ sides tonight that are playing at a similar level within the league. And it's not top 6! 

I could see the ideas Rowett had. Didn't like his counter attacking style but I could see a pattern in the way we played. Lampard had his individual brilliance in the team. 

I just can't see how our team is supposed to work. The players have been slagged off a lot lately but I'm not sure if it's entirely fair. We are picking up points and we are doing it mostly be grinding away. How else are we doing it? 

The quality is really lacking and the body language from the players is often screaming frustration. We are full of unforced errors. I'm just not seeing a team who are clear about how they do their job.

That's not to say I've lost faith in Cocu. I just don't believe this team combined with this manager are anywhere near the same wavelength to put in the kind of level we know it takes to make the top 6. 

We know the play offs. We know you don't have to be great to make them. But you do have to be better than this. I don't mean prettier, I mean we just better. We're too error prone and we don't have the attacking play to play the "we'll score more than you" game. 

I can't wait for January and I usually hate transfer windows and all their daft stories and fan meltdowns

I just checked, out of interest, to see how our little brother down the a38 is getting on this season. Weirdly enough, Burton are 13th (1 place above us), on exactly the same points (18), and exactly 4pts away from the play offs too (22pts). 

I’m not really sure what to make if that. If we’re having a good season, does that mean burton are? Are burton having a good season? I’m so confused. 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You think? I thought he struggled again, looked off the pace and positionally wasn’t great. I’ve seen promise in him and hope Rosenior’s assessment of him is right and he’ll get better through the season.

Agreed.

His passing was poor.

Got caught on the  ball doing 360 degree turns a couple of times.

Most of his tackles were recovery tackles.

Should have given away at least 2 penalties from their corners.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Can't force myself to get excited. Don't think I'm a negative poster but I think i was looking at 2 Champ sides tonight that are playing at a similar level within the league. And it's not top 6! 

I could see the ideas Rowett had. Didn't like his counter attacking style but I could see a pattern in the way we played. Lampard had his individual brilliance in the team. 

I just can't see how our team is supposed to work. The players have been slagged off a lot lately but I'm not sure if it's entirely fair. We are picking up points and we are doing it mostly be grinding away. How else are we doing it? 

The quality is really lacking and the body language from the players is often screaming frustration. We are full of unforced errors. I'm just not seeing a team who are clear about how they do their job.

That's not to say I've lost faith in Cocu. I just don't believe this team combined with this manager are anywhere near the same wavelength to put in the kind of level we know it takes to make the top 6. 

We know the play offs. We know you don't have to be great to make them. But you do have to be better than this. I don't mean prettier, I mean we just better. We're too error prone and we don't have the attacking play to play the "we'll score more than you" game. 

I can't wait for January and I usually hate transfer windows and all their daft stories and fan meltdowns

However, even if we are poor and there is no cohesion and no one on the same wavelength.

As has been said, we are only 4 points off top six and a couple more off top 2.

Just imagine what could happen if it clicks? Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Have faith.

Tony Mowbray on Derby: I’ve no idea what they are. If you don’t know what your identity is you’re going to be struggling.

Tony Pulis: They’re nowhere near as good as what they were last season.

Can’t argue with either statement but I’ve said throughout that if somehow we are in touch in January and Cocu has the chance to change a few, we could yet squeeze into the top six. There’s not a lot of quality in the league this season.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Tony Mowbray on Derby: I’ve no idea what they are. If you don’t know what your identity is you’re going to be struggling.

Tony Pulis: They’re nowhere near as good as what they were last season.

Can’t argue with either statement but I’ve said throughout that if somehow we are in touch in January and Cocu has the chance to change a few, we could yet squeeze into the top six. There’s not a lot of quality in the league this season.

No, because we haven't got tomori, mount or wilson anymore. Take the best 3 players out of any team and they are going to struggle to be consistent.

To be honest with you all, if you think this team is going to finish in the top 6 then I doff my cap to your childlike optimism! 

I think the Tony Mowbray quote above pretty much sums it up. I have no idea what our plan is, what our identity is and how exactly we are planning to create chances. Marriott is a ‘false winger’ as Cocu said... Dear oh dear. Perhaps the idea is to totally confuse the opposition. I think the fact we are 4 points off the plays offs is a bit disingenuous due to the number of other teams above us that can say the same, which is an indictment of the lack of quality in the league this year. Personally I will be happy when we get to 50 points and maybe then we can actually play some of the kids and find out if they are any good or not. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

To be honest with you all, if you think this team is going to finish in the top 6 then I doff my cap to your childlike optimism! 

I think the Tony Mowbray quote above pretty much sums it up. I have no idea what our plan is, what our identity is and how exactly we are planning to create chances. Marriott is a ‘false winger’ as Cocu said... Dear oh dear. Perhaps the idea is to totally confuse the opposition. I think the fact we are 4 points off the plays offs is a bit disingenuous due to the number of other teams above us that can say the same, which is an indictment of the lack of quality in the league this year. Personally I will be happy when we get to 50 points and maybe then we can actually play some of the kids and find out if they are any good or not. 

There is that. If we’re well and truly out of it towards the end of the season, we have a much better chance of blooding the youngsters.

win, win really. If with a couple of months left, it looks like we’re perfectly safe but we’re out of touch, it’s a perfect opportunity. If we’re still in touch, then let’s go for it. 

8 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You think? I thought he struggled again, looked off the pace and positionally wasn’t great. I’ve seen promise in him and hope Rosenior’s assessment of him is right and he’ll get better through the season.

Absolutely spot on  he wasn't good at all although there is a good player in there .I was in the 1884 lounge last night where all the scouts hang out the three on our table were scouting him.Don't ask me who for as I was ear wigging and only got snippets.  # NITK

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I’ll take childlike optimism over old man grumpiness any day, long may it continue into my flat cap wearing days!

We’re only in October, Rooney to arrive, January transfer window, the team you see now could look very different post Christmas.

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

...a false winger in a false footballing side.  The football world gets crazier by the day. 

Archived