4 points off the top 6

Day

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

To be honest with you all, if you think this team is going to finish in the top 6 then I doff my cap to your childlike optimism! 

I think the Tony Mowbray quote above pretty much sums it up. I have no idea what our plan is, what our identity is and how exactly we are planning to create chances. Marriott is a ‘false winger’ as Cocu said... Dear oh dear. Perhaps the idea is to totally confuse the opposition. I think the fact we are 4 points off the plays offs is a bit disingenuous due to the number of other teams above us that can say the same, which is an indictment of the lack of quality in the league this year. Personally I will be happy when we get to 50 points and maybe then we can actually play some of the kids and find out if they are any good or not. 

What I would say is that when he does go wide, Marriott is one of our best crossers of a ball. We might benefit from that when Rooney comes but at present we don’t have anyone likely to score with a header.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Absolutely spot on  he wasn't good at all although there is a good player in there .I was in the 1884 lounge last night where all the scouts hang out the three on our table were scouting him.Don't ask me who for as I was ear wigging and only got snippets.  # NITK

...yes he was. He made some errors but also did some very good stuff. I know what I saw, thank you Sir. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Last night you were writing us off an hour before kick-off! ?

Point me to where I wrote us off? That’s not at all what I said, I said that I was annoyed at the team selection as it sends out the wrong message- and I stand by that, as I suspect the players will put in another half hearted performance in a game or twos time. Never said that team was incapable of winning, it was about sending the right message out, which we didn’t. I never doubted that the team put out could win the game (in fact I thought they would, hence sticking with predicting a win in the prediction league), but it’s the long term effect of not setting the right precedent that irked me, and still does.

I thought the comment by Shinnie on the radio whilst I was going home was an interesting one and if I remember correctly he Said that ‘ as soon as he saw the ball going in to Chris Martin I knew his lay off would be perfect ‘ well if Shinnie knows this from his short time with us and a bit of Scotland squads then why can’t everyone read it?

5 minutes ago, Davide said:

Thought Bielik was good 

I thought he was ok but he lost possession badly at times and if it was max bird or another of our youngsters I would be less concerned but at £10 million I want and expect a lot better but I also have to check that against the fact that he has only played at league one level prior to joining us 

11 hours ago, David said:

Tight league this Championship. Stay within touching distance until Rooney arrives and we’ll be alright. 

Two losses and Forest have dropped from 2nd to 8th - Crazy tight up there ATM

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

Can't force myself to get excited. Don't think I'm a negative poster but I think i was looking at 2 Champ sides tonight that are playing at a similar level within the league. And it's not top 6! 

I'd have said the same against West Brom though - In fact I'd have said we were better than them - And they're top of the league

We are definitely lacking some quality at the moment but if Cocu can get them playing like the first half at Huddersfield again (which we've seen in fits and starts) we'll not be a bad side

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I thought he was ok but he lost possession badly at times and if it was max bird or another of our youngsters I would be less concerned but at £10 million I want and expect a lot better but I also have to check that against the fact that he has only played at league one level prior to joining us 

That’s the thing for me. He’s being judged on his price tag, rather than a young player who’s still learning and not played that much at this level.

hes also had niggling injuries and does look a bit of the pace still.

heard a lot of moaning about him not being creative enough, he’s a centre back/defensive midfield, he’s not supposed to be the creator, but because that’s what huddlestone did, some seem to want him to be the same. 2 completely different player so hopefully Rooney playing in-front of him will help.

28 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

That’s the thing for me. He’s being judged on his price tag, rather than a young player who’s still learning and not played that much at this level.

Spot on, and some people are saying we paid £10m for him when we'll pay nothing like that amount if his performances, and the performance of the team don't improve!

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

As @Carnero says, the deal for Bielik isn't £10m. It "can rise" to £10m - but that's only going to happen if he plays well. Right now it's in the £6m-£8m range somewhere.

I think people are being harsh on him. I've put some thought into it and to be honest I think it's just perception, because for some reason with how he moves and his style of play - his sort of off-balance lumbering run; when he makes the same mistakes as other people it looks far worse. He's 21 and largely one of our best performers, in terms of numbers. 
He tries to do too much, or something that's too hard, too often - but I'm sure he'll improve in that regard. This is his first season against this level of competition. I bet plenty of those times we see him try and go past too many players are situations where he was successful last season in League One. Adjustments take time.

He's here primarily to do a defensive job and, checking his stats, he's doing a good job. 

He's 3rd in tackles per game (Behind Shinnie and Lowe)
1st in Interceptions
4th in clearances (Clarke, Davies, Keogh)
Only Curtis Davies wins more aerial challenges than him.
He's 6th in the team in pass completion %

In terms of his overall rating on whoscored (which is flawed, but still provides at minimum a talking point), he's our 3rd highest rated player behind Shinnie (3 appearances) and Davies (5 appearances). The appearances matter (Bielik has 11), because generally the more games you play the more realistic your overall score is, and the more it can be trusted, as it averages out.

1 hour ago, admira said:

Another fact I read this morning that feels hard to believe:

"“Only Championship leaders West Bromwich Albion have picked up more points than the Rams since mid-September”

Yeh but we lost one game so "Booooooooooooo!"

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

As @Carnero says, the deal for Bielik isn't £10m. It "can rise" to £10m - but that's only going to happen if he plays well. Right now it's in the £6m-£8m range somewhere.

18 years ago we got £7m for Seth Johnson - So we paid what it cost for a decent DM nearly two decades ago

15 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Bielik was strong too and looked more mobile

We’re you watching the same game? He had a couple of nice touches but overall he was poor, his passing was awful and he didn’t win the ball back nearly as much as he should have

19 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

We’re you watching the same game? {sic} He had a couple of nice touches but overall he was poor, his passing was awful and he didn’t win the ball back nearly as much as he should have

Ya. Florist versus Hull ya donkey.
His performance wasn’t flawless but he did some good stuff. Needs to work more with Shinnie. 

Never a bad sign if you're not playing well and still winning...

Cocu has been here for 12 weeks coaching a completely new set of players, in a second language. To expect instant synchronization between the new coaching team and the playing squad is nothing but naive. The squad itself is upper-mid table (in my opinion) and he wasn't left with adequate time to properly assess the team and utilise the transfer market to address any issues. Sprinkle in bad luck with injuries, poor officiating decisions and missed penalties and our start to the season isn't that bad.

We deserved to beat West Brom, Cardiff and Swansea and had we done, I highly doubt any of the intrinsic negativity coming from a lot of our fans would exist. Some perspective is needed, we've done well to pick up the results we have while playing poorly and to me, the more time Cocu has with the squad, the more the understanding grows and our footballing style improves. Long way to go yet and I can only see it getting better

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

18 years ago we got £7m for Seth Johnson - So we paid what it cost for a decent DM nearly two decades ago

Not sure I understand your point? In just real world inflation, that's more than £11.5m

In football inflation, that's a hell of a lot more. 

This is a great resource for such debate:

https://www.totallymoney.com/content/transfer-index/data/#filters?/options?

image.png

Signing Seth Johnson from Crewe set us back much more, relatively speaking, than Bielik will if all of the transfer add-ons hit. 

9 hours ago, David said:

I’ll take childlike optimism over old man grumpiness any day, long may it continue into my flat cap wearing days!

We’re only in October, Rooney to arrive, January transfer window, the team you see now could look very different post Christmas.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a Squidward and I confess the recent lack of professionalism demonstrated by our so called professional footballers has drained me of all good feelings towards this group of individuals, however I think I am being more realistic than grumpy! 

Chris Martin looked like the only one who was ever going to pass the ball to the same colour shirt on a consistent basis, which I find a bit depressing and not indicative of a top 6 side.

6 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh but we lost one game so "Booooooooooooo!"

Small point but they never actually gave us that much did they?

Archived