4 points off the top 6

Day

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can certainly criticise Cocu for a fair few things in his reign so far, in terms of style, decisions, coaching etc- but think you’d find it hard to argue he should be sacked immediately given our league position. Incredible really given how poor we’ve performed in the main... it’s the recent run of good home results that’s kept us in touching distance. 

But still, how you get there doesn’t matter, what matters is that you’re still in the mix. And we definitely are still in the mix- season certainly isn’t a write off yet in that respect. It’s the lack of quality within the squad that’s still holding us back from really pushing up there though, was clear as day today how much were missing at both ends of the pitch. Well need more than just Rooney to rectify that in January, a real busy window doing what should have been done in the summer is required for us to have much chance imo. But, stay within touching distance, and it’s still very much possible.

Nothing can be written off in October- good or bad!

Its absolute madness, if we get a win Saturday and field a settled side with players full of confidence all of sudden we could go from looking awful to a very decent side. Still don't expect Top 6 even if we string a few wins together now though,  as unless Rooney comes in and makes a big impact I can't see us being good enough.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Can certainly criticise Cocu for a fair few things in his reign so far, in terms of style, decisions, coaching etc- but think you’d find it hard to argue he should be sacked immediately given our league position. Incredible really given how poor we’ve performed in the main... it’s the recent run of good home results that’s kept us in touching distance. 

But still, how you get there doesn’t matter, what matters is that you’re still in the mix. And we definitely are still in the mix- season certainly isn’t a write off yet in that respect. It’s the lack of quality within the squad that’s still holding us back from really pushing up there though, was clear as day today how much were missing at both ends of the pitch. Well need more than just Rooney to rectify that in January, a real busy window doing what should have been done in the summer is required for us to have much chance imo. But, stay within touching distance, and it’s still very much possible.

Nothing can be written off in October- good or bad!

Cocu was dealt a bad hand, with Lampard's protracted departure which ran into the first day of pre season leaving us unable to appoint him, losing what were 3 key players for us in Mount, Tomori and Wilson, 2 of which are now being called up for England which shows how good they are!....quick flashback to when we lost Mount under Lampard we looked poor then, we have had to try and replace all 3 which you can do in terms of numbers but quality was always going top be an impossible task.

Throw in the injuries, one of which the captain for 15 months and the incident that caused this, I'm quietly impressed by the job that he's done.

As you say you can certainly criticise things, he's not above criticism and I'm sure he will hold his hands up to a few things he's got wrong, but 13 games in we're 2 wins off the top 6 which could easily have been the case with a few refereeing decisions earlier in the season. Of course if we're going for the if's but's and maybes you can swing that the other way and question tonights 3 points so we have to deal with where we are.

I fully expect things to improve with Rooney's arrival, he would improve any team in this league as we're talking about what was a genuine world class player and whilst he's not at that level now, his knowledge and experience he can bring will be invaluable. I think his arrival could be that "spark" we desperately need right now and will be the hero in the dressing room that Lampard was to these young players.

25 minutes ago, David said:

Cocu was dealt a bad hand, with Lampard's protracted departure which ran into the first day of pre season leaving us unable to appoint him, losing what were 3 key players for us in Mount, Tomori and Wilson, 2 of which are now being called up for England which shows how good they are!....quick flashback to when we lost Mount under Lampard we looked poor then, we have had to try and replace all 3 which you can do in terms of numbers but quality was always going top be an impossible task.

Throw in the injuries, one of which the captain for 15 months and the incident that caused this, I'm quietly impressed by the job that he's done.

As you say you can certainly criticise things, he's not above criticism and I'm sure he will hold his hands up to a few things he's got wrong, but 13 games in we're 2 wins off the top 6 which could easily have been the case with a few refereeing decisions earlier in the season. Of course if we're going for the if's but's and maybes you can swing that the other way and question tonights 3 points so we have to deal with where we are.

I fully expect things to improve with Rooney's arrival, he would improve any team in this league as we're talking about what was a genuine world class player and whilst he's not at that level now, his knowledge and experience he can bring will be invaluable. I think his arrival could be that "spark" we desperately need right now and will be the hero in the dressing room that Lampard was to these young players.

The key to our season is staying in touch with the top 6 until Rooney arrives. If we are around 6 points or under off, anything could be possible with that spark in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

The key to our season is staying in touch with the top 6 until Rooney arrives. If we are around 6 points or under off, anything could be possible with that spark in my opinion.

Yeah, I think it's clear we lack creativity to really threaten the top 6 right now, Dowell hasn't made the impact he has elsewhere and suspect he is being held behind after class for extra work on how to play the Cocu way. 

Hopefully he shows he "gets it", as there is a player in there and we can perhaps start to make a push for the top 6 a little earlier, but unless he does I feel we're sort of in a grind away until Rooney gets here mode. 

I would say a little more and 10 points and under it would still be achievable, sounds a lot but it's only a decent month and you can make a real dent into that, we saw Fulham come out of nowhere with the Mitrovic signing. 

Hopefully we will see signs of the Rooney effect in December when he arrives for training.

Poor tonight. Definitely didn’t deserve the win but hopefully luck starting to even out after the Baggies Swansea and Barnsley games, 6 points we should’ve gained there, 4 points we’ve definitely gained from the last 2 home (shouldve had 2 draws)

Only Davies, Clarke,  Lawrence and possibly even Roos emerge with credit tonight, everyone else (apart from Martin) hopeless. 

Cocu was once again measured and considered in his after match analysis. He knows where the problems are and where we need to improve, he doesn’t like when we’re slow on the ball and it then forces us sideways and backwards, just going to take time to build partnerships, confidence and get the right personnel in the team to play how he wants to play.

Its going to take time. We are where we deserve to be and probably where I expected us to be at this stage of the season.

I’ve been critical. Actually could see some positives tonight even though we played quite poorly. So much better 2nd half with Chris Martin who is like a magnet up front compared with Waghorn who, bless him, is just not ticking at the moment. So...some light at the end of the tunnel. 

Loved Shinnie’s South Stand celebration & Cocu also showed some warmth to the fans at the end. 

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Poor tonight. Definitely didn’t deserve the win but hopefully luck starting to even out after the Baggies Swansea and Barnsley games, 6 points we should’ve gained there, 4 points we’ve definitely gained from the last 2 home (shouldve had 2 draws)

Only Davies, Clarke,  Lawrence and possibly even Roos emerge with credit tonight, everyone else (apart from Martin) hopeless. 

Cocu was once again measured and considered in his after match analysis. He knows where the problems are and where we need to improve, he doesn’t like when we’re slow on the ball and it then forces us sideways and backwards, just going to take time to build partnerships, confidence and get the right personnel in the team to play how he wants to play.

Its going to take time. We are where we deserve to be and probably where I expected us to be at this stage of the season.

Bielik was strong too and looked more mobile

26 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Don't think we will get anywhere near top 6 judging on performances 

But think cocu is already planning for summer and trust him to get it right then 

But the quality in this division is very poor, all teams are blowing hot and cold, anything could happened, think we will be pushing top 6 come the end of the season. 

Archived