Oli McBurnie charged with drink driving

David

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Further proof that this is not a Derby County thing which many sets of fans would like you to believe.

It is the mindset of the modern footballer. Or is it? Has it always been the case with footballers but the media outs it so much more these days?

I grew up idolising footballers for things such as work ethic, skill, goals, character etc.. 

In fact the player i idolised most for what i saw on the pitch, was convicted drink driver... Seth Johnson.

Have my choices in heroes been misplaced my entire life? Quite possibly. You don't get many clever footballers.

Anyway, my love for the game is dwindling.

(Sorry for the internal monologue ramble).

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Further proof that this is not a Derby County thing which many sets of fans would like you to believe.

It is the mindset of the modern footballer. Or is it? Has it always been the case with footballers but the media outs it so much more these days?

I grew up idolising footballers for things such as work ethic, skill, goals, character etc.. 

In fact the player i idolised most for what i saw on the pitch, was convicted drink driver... Seth Johnson.

Have my choices in heroes been misplaced my entire life? Quite possibly. You don't get many clever footballers.

Anyway, my love for the game is dwindling.

(Sorry for the internal monologue ramble).

you have to accept that alcohol changes even the best of people. Doesn't make them bad people as a rule, unless they do really bad stuff, but we all become different when pissed. I become more cuddly and affectionate, unless alone, then I become sad and suicidal quite often.

Simply, I drink only a few times a year cos I know what it does to me, and try to restrict it to socially and not when isolated. Everyone has to learn what alcohol does to them and address it.

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you have to accept that alcohol changes even the best of people. Doesn't make them bad people as a rule, unless they do really bad stuff, but we all become different when pissed. I become more cuddly and affectionate, unless alone, then I become sad and suicidal quite often.

Simply, I drink only a few times a year cos I know what it does to me, and try to restrict it to socially and not when isolated. Everyone has to learn what alcohol does to them and address it.

I can understand being sick on a bus, self hatred, maybe even getting into a fight. 

But getting behind the wheel of a car, i just can't get my head around it.

1 minute ago, Smyth_18 said:

I can understand being sick on a bus, self hatred, maybe even getting into a fight. 

When you're drunk, rules go out the window. all drink drivers think they are fine to drive and wont have any problems. 

3 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

have you ever accused a drunk person of being drunk?

22 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

have you ever accused a drunk person of being drunk?

Very often, perks of my job. Sorry not serving you, you've had too many. Had a lot of different reactions to it. You can skittle it down to 3 different categories as well, the honest acceptance "fair enough" or pleading innocence "I'm as jober as a sudge" or the ones who kick off "do you know who I am?"

The funniest one I've had is a bloke stumbles in on, talking on his phone, stands at the bar swaying, bragging he had been drinking fo 12 hours listing everything he had drank throughout the day "yeah I've had 18 pints, 10 Jagers, 9 shots of sambuca, 7 double vodka red bulls" (he quite clearly was exaggerating to show off) when he finally finished his conversation turned to me to order a drink, nah sorry mate you've had too much to drink today, tries telling me he has hardly had anything and he was sober, explained that I had heard phone conversation, and him bragging about how much he had drank, he looked sheepish at first then started kicking off, doorman was stood nearby tells him to leave, as he was leaving he tries to slam the swinging door behind that have the arms on to make sure they close slowly and don't slam, which pissed him off even more, so he had another go at doing it so the doorman walks towards him, he goes to run off and forgets that there are steps and into the street face first he went ?

Archived