Keogh out for the season

RoyMac5

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a shame to end it on a bad note, hope he recovers well and plays somewhere else (probably burton or Coventry).Always thought we’d be promoted in keoghs last season and it would tie his time at Derby up nicely. Could of been remembered very differently, all that hard work and commitment shattered in an evening ?

5 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

You would think?

I bet the claim forms a cracking read.

Thought footballers due to their age ,lifestyle and expensive cars generally get insured because they agree to underwright a staggering part of any claim. Primarily having a huge compulsory access on their policy which usually means insurance generally doesn't end up paying out themselves, just provide legal cover and take a big day premium. Sure I was told by a top England international player he underwrite the first Million pound on his cars to allow him insurance.

I fail to see any grounds the club would have  to dismiss Keogh. He wasn’t drink driving. Possibly wasn’t wearing a seatbelt but that’s not enough to warrant his dismissal.  Yes he was a fool to get into a car with a drunk driver but I don’t believe it’s an offence. 

The most likely outcome is what someone else said earlier. The club might mutually terminate his contract given the amount of time he is out for. He will feel at least partly responsible for the situation so Id imagine he would be understanding to a suggestion like that. 

6 minutes ago, admira said:

I fail to see any grounds the club would have  to dismiss Keogh. He wasn’t drink driving. Possibly wasn’t wearing a seatbelt but that’s not enough to warrant his dismissal.  Yes he was a fool to get into a car with a drunk driver but I don’t believe it’s an offence. 

The most likely outcome is what someone else said earlier. The club might mutually terminate his contract given the amount of time he is out for. He will feel at least partly responsible for the situation so Id imagine he would be understanding to a suggestion like that. 

Once able (not match fit) I would like Keogh to earn his keep by educating youngsters about the effects of over indulgence in alcohol. What better way of salvaging some kudos and enabling something constructive to come from this mess

20 minutes ago, admira said:

Something I considered elsewhere is that Keogh could agree to a new contract / alteration of his current contract so that he gets an extra year (and we support him fully though his rehab right through to potential return) but on vastly reduced wages - sort of like when Savage reduced his weekly wage in order to get a longer contract but in entirely different circumstances.

Keogh's part in this whole mess means he doesn't deserve to be paid his full (probably pretty high) salary for the duration of his time out, but he also doesn't deserve to have his contract terminated (he's made a mistake, but a forgivable one) and he certainly doesn't deserve to be abandoned and left to recover on his own with no income.

Medium term financial punishment (his physical / emotional punishment is already huge and well beyond anyone else involved, let's not forget) backed up by a guarantee of what would still be a more than healthy income and long term stability providing him every chance possible to re-establish his career.

It's such a shame that this is the end of Keogh's career at the club. He's given everything and would have been a real icon without any real blemishes on his record. I honestly thought at the beginning of the season that it might just be the year for us to get promoted as the icing on the cake for him as a perfect way to end his time here. I don't think the club should leave him high and dry, he's made a stupid mistake after having too much to drink. He wasn't driving and wasn't endangering anyone but himself with his stupidity and has paid a very high price indeed. You'd think he'd have been able to practice much better judgement but it is what it is. 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Wouldn’t think the insurance would be valid, but you’d think there’s somewhere in the contract written that if you injure yourself doing something reckless and not permitted by the club, then the clubs allowed to terminate your employment.

Bringing the club into disrepute would

7 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

Bringing the club into disrepute would

But what exactly would "bringing the club into disrepute" be? Would the club have to demonstrate that they had lost sponsors, either current or prospective, for example, or would making the front page of the tabloids be sufficient? We all agree that this reflects badly on the club, but what exactly constitutes "disrepute"?

16 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I guess it all depends on what their assest value is? Dont think Keogh's would be too much at the age of 33? His asset value would be straight off but so would his wages? So if we was on 30k a week (as an example) that would also be instantly £1.56m a year off the wage bill - is his asset value higher than that? Not sure how it works

His asset value will not be any higher than what we originally paid for him, plus associated fees and levies, so I think you are probably correct that the wages we would save would be more than any amortisation.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

But what exactly would "bringing the club into disrepute" be? Would the club have to demonstrate that they had lost sponsors, either current or prospective, for example, or would making the front page of the tabloids be sufficient? We all agree that this reflects badly on the club, but what exactly constitutes "disrepute"?

I would have thought that there would be guidelines written into contracts.Certainly negative publicity would be up there.I cant see any punishment by the club happening until after the court case,By that time everybody will have calmed down and who knows the punishment dealt out by the court might be deemed sufficient eg lengthy ban and lengthy spell of community service

Stop paying him immediately.

Offer to help with his rehabilitation and recovery from injury if he requires it.

Give him the option of a new contract if he recovers from his injury.

Not sure why the club should have to pay someone £2.2m when he is unable to fulfil his duties because of his own stupidity.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Stop paying him immediately.

Offer to help with his rehabilitation and recovery from injury if he requires it.

Give him the option of a new contract if he recovers from his injury.

Not sure why the club should have to pay someone £2.2m when he is unable to fulfil his duties because of his own stupidity.

If I was Mel and I was paying for the running of our club out of my own, admittedly, large pockets I would find it hard to stomach seeing Keo for 18 months knowing I was paying for him, he was using valuable physio resources which I paid for and I was paying for his replacement.  I had to do that until his contract ran out.  Personally I would be very carefully looking at my legal options with the benefit of professional advice.  Whatever Mel decides will be good by me though

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

If I was Mel and I was paying for the running of our club out of my own, admittedly, large pockets I would find it hard to stomach seeing Keo for 18 months knowing I was paying for him, he was using valuable physio resources which I paid for and I was paying for his replacement.  I had to do that until his contract ran out.  Personally I would be very carefully looking at my legal options with the benefit of professional advice.  Whatever Mel decides will be good by me though

I think alot of work in the community is required to rebuild any sort of a relationship with the club.

But once again why should Mel fund this and what sort of role model is Keogh to kids now anyway?

12 hours ago, KCG said:

I thought the legal quote I posted would make it clear that it is very unlikely the club will go down that route. I don't think the club will run the risk of losing a case.

It's not just the drink-driving - bringing the club into disrepute and reckless/irresponsible behaviour not befitting their roles (there are more formal terms for that but I cba to find them) are just two more off the top of my head. Bennett was our rep for Drink Aware, Keough our Captain.

There's no question that they're sackable - I've employed lots of people over the years and unfortunately I know my way around HR. Also, if we do sack them and they sue us, a court would not look favourably at that given they're likely to be convicted. Keogh could be harder to deal with given the situation to be fair. He could have been sober and he could have been trying to babysit them - doubtful of course but that could be his story.

But as I say, there might be other factors we're not aware of so who knows what the club will choose to do. 

Archived