Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Malone - seemingly comatose getting slapped by tom lawrence. Huddlestone - actions already well documented. These are not great professionals. Just get rid.

The club has a very difficult decision to make, do they take the hardest of hard of line, get rid of all players involved, this will show that we will not tolerate anything. But that could lead to some players having second thoughts of joining, incase they do make a mistake, they will no there is no chance of atonement. However we don't want to appear soft, and let players think they can do whatever they want without retribution. 

Personally I think the club has taken the right stance, come down hard on the players, make sure they know they aren't going to be involved in the team, make them work, twice, 10 times, 100 times harder than anyone else, prove that they have learnt from their mistake, and pay back the community, the club, Mel, Cocu, the other players, our whole footballing family with blood, sweat, tears, their free time, and then they may have a chance of getting back in the squad.

Obviously we have to see what players the club have condemned for Tuesday other than the obvious 3.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, rynny said:

The club has a very difficult decision to make, do they take the hardest of hard of line, get rid of all players involved, this will show that we will not tolerate anything. But that could lead to some players having second thoughts of joining, incase they do make a mistake, they will no there is no chance of atonement. However we don't want to appear soft, and let players think they can do whatever they want without retribution. 

Personally I think the club has taken the right stance, come down hard on the players, make sure they know they aren't going to be involved in the team, make them work, twice, 10 times, 100 times harder than anyone else, prove that they have learnt from their mistake, and pay back the community, the club, Mel, Cocu, the other players, our whole footballing family with blood, sweat, tears, their free time, and then they may have a chance of getting back in the squad.

Obviously we have to see what players the club have condemned for Tuesday other than the obvious 3.

They are not even great players. Why fanny about?

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

They are not even great players. Why fanny about?

You also have to take FFP into consideration when terminating contracts and replacing them, it’s why as Rynny said it’s a very difficult decision for the club on how to handle this and they are quite rightly taking their time to ensure they do what is best for the club.

Not only that but some decisions maybe taken out of our hands depending on what happens in court so I wouldn’t expect anything to be announced before that has concluded.

I’m sure had the game been different in terms of money invested into players, wages and FFP rules they would have been thrown out the door, not that simple anymore. 

This will be a slow process that will play out through next month and possibly longer, we just have to be patient and allow the club and court to reach a verdict.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Daily mail claim this morning Lawrence and Bennett “face the sack” pending the investigation, FWIW

Depends if they get jailed? It won't help if they drove off again. 

On 26/09/2019 at 22:33, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

His voice sounded sober in the video, unlike Lawrence. Still, completely wrong for him to be seemingly egging him on and posting it in a public place. Beyond stupid.

Even taking the drink driving aside, I think what has happened is completely wrong. But do you not think that this sort of thing happened on a much larger scale in years gone by? You were there during the 1970s and 1980s, right? I imagine it would have been a lot worse then, although they were paid a lot less obviously. This is the piss up I'm on about, not the drink driving (even though I imagine that happened even more too).

You are right DFR,I once attended a new years eve party near to Grimsby  hosted by a copper and remember seeing a car driven by a sergeant at Grimsby arrive at the party,yes it was a police car with police markings.After a couple of hours said legless sergeant got back into the car which would not start owing to him leaving the lights on,and all his police mates bumping him down the road for him to attend his next party.

19 minutes ago, David said:

You also have to take FFP into consideration when terminating contracts and replacing them, it’s why as Rynny said it’s a very difficult decision for the club on how to handle this and they are quite rightly taking their time to ensure they do what is best for the club.

Not only that but some decisions maybe taken out of our hands depending on what happens in court so I wouldn’t expect anything to be announced before that has concluded.

I’m sure had the game been different in terms of money invested into players, wages and FFP rules they would have been thrown out the door, not that simple anymore. 

This will be a slow process that will play out through next month and possibly longer, we just have to be patient and allow the club and court to reach a verdict.

I agree with allowing due process however i would have suspended all three pending the outcome. 

Bennett has zero residual value as he wasn't signed. Huddlestone is in the last year of his contract which expires in the summer anyway. Lawrence will have a fairly high residual value but will also be on quite a lot of money so i can't see FFP being the decider.

Read on the Telegraph that the club have concerns about Lawrence's state of mind following this and his mother's death. I'm not surprised! I think it would be gravely irresponsible of the club to fire him if they have serious misgivings about his mental health. That's one reason why I can't see it happening. 

Just wondering how much of a loss it would be if all 3 were sacked.  Bennett is not good enough for this division (let alone the premiership), keogh will be 34 with 1 year left on his contract (and we don't know how bad this injury will affect him), and we will never get our money back on lawrance ( seems to be going backwards in his performances). Free up some money for January?

Archived