Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

Last night, 1000s and 1000s of young men (16-35) will have driven around the UK either drunk, under the influence of drugs, at excess speed, some without licences or insurance, some carrying knives. But we can be 100% certain none of them currently play for Derby County.  That should be a tremendous comfort to a great many on here.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Out of retirement, just for this as it can’t be ignored.. Absolutely spot on fella. I will be joining you in the rendition of ‘We are Derby’.

Dark days indeed but my love for this club will always e there.. I like you have seen all those things in our past.. My disgust lies with those involved, not DCFC.

Never been as massive Morris fan but I feel for the guy at the moment.. Sometimes those who you entrusted your investment to, let you down.. 

COYR

I prefer you angry.  Have they put you on sedatives in that Care Home?

15 minutes ago, rynny said:

The club statement may have been on about other players that were part of the group, that didn't break the law but still let the club down with their behaviour. We need to be patient and wait and see what happens before we judge. 

Malone - seemingly comatose getting slapped by tom lawrence. Huddlestone - actions already well documented. These are not great professionals. Just get rid.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

There's no exact rule book on this particular sequence of events.

A club may have to deal with a single drink driving incident or a group behaving badly, getting drunk in public etc, gambling, sex related issues, drug use, whatever other problems occur when 20 young (ish) men are working together in such a closed environment as professional football, but rarely has something like this happened on a bloody Tuesday night in Quarndon!

So far, Derby have imo, handled it with the utmost class and honesty.

A fairly short but strong condemnation of the incident but an awareness that all the facts may not be known yet.

Its uncharted territory and whatever happens there will be many who gloat at our situation but as long as Mel Morris and Phillip Cocu continue to act with the utmost integrity and statesmanship they have shown so far, we should let the Courts deal with it, then let the Club deal with it internally and in the meantime get behind our football team and do the only thing we can do to help us get through this.

Some, like me, are old enough to remember the trials and tribulations we've been through at the Baseball Ground like the Clough and Taylor sackings, relegation to Division 3, being about 10 minutes from going out of business, Maxwell, The 3 Amigos, and the outright unbridled joy of winning the League, the Arthur Cox and Jim Smith years and for the younger fans, the recent ups and downs at our new home on the old railway works of Chaddesden sidings. Its been frustrating and brilliant in equal measures since 2013. Thats what it will always be like being a Derby fan.

We've been through worse poo than this and come out of it with our heads held high.

I hope that all in the South Stand, East, West and North, will join me in giving the loudest rendition of WE ARE Derby the stadium has ever heard, not for the players who've let us down, but for Mel and Phil and the ones who only want to give their best for Derby County Football Club.

And for us, for the lads and lasses who turn up week after week, home and away, for us to have that feeling of belonging, that feeling of pride that we support and love our football club, through thick and thin.

Players, Managers and owners come and go, we don't, we're here to stay.

?

Great post... and perfectly timed for me, reading it first thing on a match day.

Along with a good nights sleep, it's perked me up no end!

No longer do I feel like sitting in silence.  No longer do I feel the need to go to the match incognito, without my chest being emblazoned by the mighty Ram.

I like your suggestion.  In fact, I love it!  I hope it happens.  And I have every intention of standing tall, spreading my arms high and wide, and belting out the sentiment in unison.

My mojo is back... however temporary... and I intend to put it to good use this avvy.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

It's perhaps a good thing that Marston's Pedigree is not the sponsor now

Instead of "Just Eat" , Maybe it should rebrand to "Just Drink". That would be popular with some of the players.

Just Puke?

55 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Out of retirement, just for this as it can’t be ignored.. Absolutely spot on fella. I will be joining you in the rendition of ‘We are Derby’.

Dark days indeed but my love for this club will always e there.. I like you have seen all those things in our past.. My disgust lies with those involved, not DCFC.

Never been as massive Morris fan but I feel for the guy at the moment.. Sometimes those who you entrusted your investment to, let you down.. 

COYR

Nice to see a post from you @Angry Ram. Hadn't seen one since you were going on a cruise and was worried you had done a Maxwell! 

9 hours ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

It doesn't read to me like they're using it as an excuse, it reads like they realise that whilst they're obviously going to be very angry about what's happened, they also understand they have a duty of care to the players and it would be remiss of them to ignore that.

If they suspend Lawrence indefinitely, they can't keep a close eye on him, if they don't suspend Lawrence but do Bennett, people will try and twist it.

They have already had one severe punishment that will last forever. It's living with what they have done. 

54 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Last night, 1000s and 1000s of young men (16-35) will have driven around the UK either drunk, under the influence of drugs, at excess speed, some without licences or insurance, some carrying knives. But we can be 100% certain none of them currently play for Derby County.  That should be a tremendous comfort to a great many on here.

Absolutely no idea how many were doing it. Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think it's a lot less than thousands. I believe drugs may be a bigger problem than alcohol behind the wheel because of the illicit nature of drug use, and the decades of anti drink driving message we've all been exposed to. 

20 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Absolutely no idea how many were doing it. Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think it's a lot less than thousands. I believe drugs may be a bigger problem than alcohol behind the wheel because of the illicit nature of drug use, and the decades of anti drink driving message we've all been exposed to. 

In 2015 (last available stats) over 37,000 people were convicted of drink driving of which the vast majority were men. That's actually down from 72,000 in 2005. 

Bear in mind that doesn't include drugs driving nor those who weren't caught and I think it probably could be thousands. 

I remember just how amazing the feeling was at the end of that epic match at Elland Road last season and the incredible buzz of it all. Looking back, I realise that what set it apart wasn't so much the result, let alone the performance. It was the feeling of unity that came from the joyous celebrations at the final whistle. To be there was special. The entire club - players, coaches, management, owner, backroom staff and the fans - all together in that one moment. Like the poem says, 'We are Derby'. Right now, that unity has been shattered. I have never felt so down about my club. It will take a long time for us to reach the heights of that togetherness again. For some, players, it will be the end. They have tossed away their moment. 

However, this is OUR club - it's in your DNA - and together, everyone must rebuild it. Time for calm heads. The wisdom of Mel Morris, the professionalism of Philip Cocu, the resilience of the players, and the support of us loyal fans; all can and will turn this around. But it will be a long journey on a tough road. That journey starts today.

COYR.

3 minutes ago, Mazzaram said:

I remember just how amazing the feeling was at the end of that epic match at Elland Road last season and the incredible buzz of it all. Looking back, I realise that what set it apart wasn't so much the result, let alone the performance. It was the feeling of unity that came from the joyous celebrations at the final whistle. To be there was special. The entire club - players, coaches, management, owner, backroom staff and the fans - all together in that one moment. Like the poem says, 'We are Derby'. Right now, that unity has been shattered. I have never felt so down about my club. It will take a long time for us to reach the heights of that togetherness again. For some, players, it will be the end. They have tossed away their moment. 

However, this is OUR club - it's in your DNA - and together, everyone must rebuild it. Time for calm heads. The wisdom of Mel Morris, the professionalism of Philip Cocu, the resilience of the players, and the support of us loyal fans; all can and will turn this around. But it will be a long journey on a tough road. That journey starts today.

COYR.

It can only start with a clear out.

52 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Will Huddlestone get a good reception following his supposed involvement?

What about the others that were allegedly involved in the late night drinking session?  Malone and Dowell?  

Interesting to see what transpires

Huddlestone shouldn't have filmed and posted the film of Bennett. Stupid. 

The crux is the state of the others and how they travelled away from the pub after the session - and whether they knew of Bennett and Lawrence's plans - and what they did / didn't do as a result.

No doubt a fair few local taxi firms will have had phone calls from the red tops over the past few days regarding journey from a pub in Quarndon.

Without evidence of who else did what, it's premature to blame anyone but the 3 who have been named plus (to a lesser extent) Huddlestone for the filming and posting.

Martin et al may have travelled from the pub after the session responsibly and may not have know of Bennett / Lawrence's plans - a best case scenario.

Archived