Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

3 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

Sum o folk on here defending em.... I'd love ya to try and defend em to a family that's had someone killed by a drink driver ...

I am not defending them at all . The word idiot should give you the clue but having dealt with the aftermath of a car crash from which I have suffered for over 50 years and had counselling and antidepressants, PTSD I think I know what I'm talking about and I wasn't driving!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a commercial point of view only,

Keogh 33? out for a year might not recover get rid terminate contract .[FWTW I am a Keogh fan]

Bennett fringe player not worth much terminate no real loss.

Lawrence has a value sell January .[Shame could be a top player but I have a feeling he will waste his talent].

2 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

They made a conscious  decision to drive after haing  a drink... that is different to be involved in a road traffic accident ...fir the club ta talk about rehabilitating back into the team is sickening ... I'm sorry no one can defend em .

No ones defending them!!!

1 minute ago, Owd miner said:

They made a conscious  decision to drive after haing  a drink... that is different to be involved in a road traffic accident ...fir the club ta talk about rehabilitating back into the team is sickening ... I'm sorry no one can defend em .

I reiterate nobody is defending them. What we do differ on is how they are treated after they have been sentenced and disciplined by the club. There is absolutely no condoning what they did.

26 minutes ago, Jram said:

There's an argument you should terminate the contracts of Bennett and Lawrence as drink driving is a serious and dangerous crime to commit and they are ambassadors for the club who are paid a lot of money 

Not sure that's the answer but wouldn't be shocked if the club did in this high scrutiny world 

That should happen, but I can't see the club writing off 7 million on Lawrence .  Also we have Rooney coming in January who has previous form.  More chance of keeping them around the squad and sell in the next window.  Might be best all round. Unless there teammates are also in the habit of doing this can't imagine they will be too chuffed at all this.

Very strange that there was no mention of Keogh going to hospital, from what I am told only Lawrence went as a precaution, yet he may have suffered a career ending injury.

Me thinks the true facts are not being released here.

It did seem a bit strange that Keogh was the only one directly named in the statement issues earlier today. We all know Lawrence and Bennett were of course involved, why not say their names instead of including them in the mysterious "small group"?

Purely speculating, it seems like its probably an attempt to put most blame/attention towards Keogh. He's a player who is 33 and will probably never play for us again. With his injury I'm sure all of his wages will be covered so therefore he has the least financial impact on the club if he is missing.

Lawrence and Bennett do not appear to be injured, and will most likely return to the squad at some point. Would we say that by not directly naming them, we're trying to deflect attention, as hard as that may be?

It's sad that it's the case, but nowadays financial impacts will be at the forefront of any issue a club faces. Lawrence and Bennett have value to the club, Keogh at his age, and now with his injury holds very little value. He's most likely the most dispensable player of those involved, he cannot even drive so there must be a reason why our statement focuses purely on him - captain or not - when he was just a passenger.

On 25/09/2019 at 16:05, Nuwtfly said:

Would you expect to be sacked from your job if you were caught drink driving?

What they've done is awful and they should be punished for it. But let's try not go over-the-top here, as bad as what they have done is.

I would do yes

I am a licence holder for a supermarket and commute 120 miles a day

If I was caught drink driving I would lose my job as a result of losing my alcohol license

As a result, I don't drink at all as my job feeds my kids 

So yes....as role models to children they should lose their jobs regardless of their value or position in the team and I would fully applaud our Mel if he did this

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

It did seem a bit strange that Keogh was the only one directly named in the statement issues earlier today. We all know Lawrence and Bennett were of course involved, why not say their names instead of including them in the mysterious "small group"?

Purely speculating, it seems like its probably an attempt to put most blame/attention towards Keogh. He's a player who is 33 and will probably never play for us again. With his injury I'm sure all of his wages will be covered so therefore he has the least financial impact on the club if he is missing.

Lawrence and Bennett do not appear to be injured, and will most likely return to the squad at some point. Would we say that by not directly naming them, we're trying to deflect attention, as hard as that may be?

It's sad that it's the case, but nowadays financial impacts will be at the forefront of any issue a club faces. Lawrence and Bennett have value to the club, Keogh at his age, and now with his injury holds very little value. He's most likely the most dispensable player of those involved, he cannot even drive so there must be a reason why our statement focuses purely on him - captain or not - when he was just a passenger.

Think this may point to why Keogh is the only one mentioned 

243693A7-0A18-4473-A1AF-237B23C61919.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Maybe why he got injured so badly (and the ones in the front were basically uninjured)?

My 18 yo daughter is always sitting with her legs up and across the back seat when she comes out with me and the Mrs in the car. I get told I'm (more) grumpy for rollocking her, but if we had a crash there is no way she'd get-off as lightly as if she was sat-up properly. But what do I know?

With all due respect, she needs a talking to, and if her response isn't appropriate, she needs to not be allowed in the car!
Even assuming she has her seat belt on, in that position (Facing somewhat sideways, with her feet/legs up on the seat) it ain't gonna work properly if you are involved in a serious collision.  Not only is she putting herself at greater risk, but whoever is sat in front of her, as her whole body could likely thrust onto the back of the seat in front.
I appreciate you are aware of that, and state as such in your post, but I'd be a little sterner with her, if I were you... for the good of everyone in the car.
(Apologies for the lecture!)

One of the most annoying things I see more and more of just recently, is pretty young girls sat in the front passenger seat of her boyfriend's Hot-Hatch, shoes off, feet up on the dash, slouched low in the seat. 

I recall reading of such an incident a few years back... according to the Post-mortem, despite "wearing" her seat belt, she effectively "killed herself", as her knees crushed her own skull, and her spine was snapped in two... all because she was sat with her feet up on the dash!  Boyfriend escaped with bruises, if I recall!

Apologies again... I digress!

Have a word... "cruel to be kind" and all that!  ?

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Think this may point to why Keogh is the only one mentioned 

243693A7-0A18-4473-A1AF-237B23C61919.jpeg

That's a fair enough reason then. I'd hope that the incident is limited to only those three players and by saying "small group", that others aren't involved.

54 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

No excuse for drink driving but listening to Cocu's interview it sounds like Lawrence is having some issues mentally following his mother's death.

Talks of having to keep a close eye on him now more than before and handling their response carefully.

Not wishing to sound heartless, but having lost both of my parents within two years of each other, both at an age (me) younger than young Tom here, I don't recall, during the ensuing 38 years, ever driving a car... powerful or not... into a lamppost... in a built up residential area... whether blind drunk, a little tipsy, or stone cold sober. 

#noexcuse!

Archived