Leeds United (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tombo said:

In what regard are we attempting Dutch total football other than our manager being Dutch? I mean Cocu spent most of his career at Barcelona playing nothing like a total football style. And we're not attempting that either.

At best, this is ignorant. At worst it's a lazy stereotyping job.

Our first foreign manager ever and we're trying to guess what style of football he'll play by his nationality despite plenty of football evidence to the contrary.

Lovely stuff.

U kidding me ??

trying pass, pass, pass , pass and pass somemore 

no tempo,standing off the opposition 

no channel balls, nothing over the top it’s  all too easy 

if we had someone who could unlock the door of a back line then fair enough but we haven’t and we can’t be oh so predictable with the ball we have to turn them 

it couldn’t be more an attempt at a continental style 

we’re just not executing it in the slightest 

What’s our style more akin too right now ?

aint rowettball is it ? Isn’t a combo is it 

We’re trying to play football at every single opportunity which is to be applauded but there’s a marked difference when u do it with classy players or the average ones we have 

I don't know what people were expecting here. We played Leeds 4 times last season and were comfortably beaten in 3 of them.

The recruitment has been awful, the manager had a 4 week pre-season and Leeds are a well drilled outfit who will smash a lot of teams this year.

But, predictably, many of our fans have decided 8 games is enough and it's time for the manager to be sacked. Risible.

It's hard to know where to begin, we were that bad!

Cocu doesn't appear to have a clue, although as I've said before he didn't get to sign most of these players. I'm sure he didn't choose to sign Clarke, who really looks out of his depth at the moment.

With the players he has at his disposal we really should be playing 3-5-2 and players like Zoon and Clarke nowhere near the starting 11. Defensively we need players who can defend, especially if Cocu's tactics are to defend and play on the break, which they appear to be. We don't press at all, when I prefer a relatively high press, ala Leeds, if you like.

The way it's going under Cocu, we are in for a relegation battle and I can't see him lasting long.

5 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Would’ve settled for 1-0 at HT, especially with how we’ve played.

Get Knight and Paterson on for Huddlestone and Zoon.

Be surprised if Leeds don’t score again but always a chance of nicking something while only 1 down.

Don’t be daft he’s not going to take golden boy Huddlestone off...

Just now, SaintRam said:

Actually, last season we gained the second least points in that time window. Last season was enjoyable because of mostly cup moments, but we weren't good. It was somewhat saved by sneaking into 6th - and then having a great day against a Leeds team that had dominated us in the regular season.

We got more points than last season when we finished 8th in 2014-15; 6th in 2017-18; 5th in 2015-16. 

I get that people enjoyed it but we had an absolute ton of abysmal games - just go back and read through all the match threads. At least half of them talked about how useless and inexperienced Lampard is. And seeing that we had 3 players who are all balling out in the premier league as we speak, surely we should have done far better than our second worst points haul since 2012-13?

I do think you can look at the strength of the Championship of relative seasons though, points tally doesn't give the kind of context behind the results. We had an inexperienced manager, we brought through Bogle, we made it the furthest we did since McClaren at 13/14 (other managers may have got more points, but they fell apart in playoffs). The football was also pretty good. 

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Take me back to the glory days last season of barely creating chances vs Millwall, Rotherham and Bolton, being dicked at home to Leeds, all while having three top half Premier League players on loan.

Cocu out!!!!!

That was Lampard's first season in any managerial role. This is Cocu's 11th year.

Lampard had to drastically change the playing style from the previous manager.

He was forced to sell his best player & goalscorer to fund summer transfers.

We had our best season since Steve 1.

The football was vastly more entertaining than anything we've seen this season.

Also, the 3 Premier League players you mention weren't Premier League players before Lampard and Jody. 

Bielik, Clarke and Dowell are all PL players by your logic.

Never a free kick ref, JM tackles and then every Derby fan knows that Leeds will score from the free kick. If that tackle is made by a Leeds player the opposite way round the ref plays on, big teams v little teams and a baying crowd win the ref over once again.

And can someone stick a rocket up Waghorn's bottom or stick him on a treadmill, or get him to work properly for the team, or stick him in an ice bucket at half time to wake him up, your playing away at Leeds in the sunshine, run man run, you are put through with acres of space to put a cross in, so you decide to take an eternity and fail to beat your first defender and make your team turn around and be under pressure once again. JM passes you a ball, and again you are stuck in the mud, we are on the back foot and nearly conceding a second, because your not moving, anticipating a pass, it's school boy stuff man, wake up and start playing!

Other than that one day we might be able to pass quicker, anticipate quicker, and be quicker thinkers and be quicker to win the ball and the game.

As for Leeds calling our Richard ugly...........your having a laugh!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just had to laugh at that comment on sky "Leeds have been sensational"...no the haven't.We keep giving them the ball,they work hard but are nothing special match the workrate and they are eminently beatable.

Not that I expect us too do if we can there is something in this game get Martin on to play in too and hold it and allow time for players to join.

4 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Midfield is badly out of sorts, far too immobile and passive for this game with Leeds players buzzing around them shutting them down leaving our kamikaze back line with no options.

We need a Bryson style box to box midfielder in there who can support the attack and defence.

The only way to get back into this is to solve the midfield problem and with our only option being swapping Hudds for Knight which would be a huge ask for Knight in this game.

Bringing Dowell in would just be more of the same passive dross

We did buy a box to box midfielder to replace Bryson, but he doesnt even get in the squad.

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Yep, Lampard made a better start. Thanks for clarifying. He also had a centre back currently starting for Chelsea, a centre mid currently starting for Chelsea and playing for England, and a winger currently playing for Bournemouth scoring 3 goals in 5 games to start the season. You seem keen to not really take that into account which I don’t really understand as it is a massive factor.

Last seasons performance away at Leeds in the league was at very best equal to this. We also looked an embarrassment against Millwall, Rotherham, Bolton the list goes on. 

Maybe it’s the players? Oh no wait let’s sack a manager 8 games into a season where we need to rebuild so we can go through this whole dance all over again!!!!!

He had a young centre back that struggled with being in the right position, yes. A centre mid that was good, but couldn't dictate a game on his own and a winger that did often go missing in games. 

I was at the game at Leeds last season, we looked poor, but not this poor. This is truely a dire performance, after another dire performance at Brentford. When should we exactly wait until we start asking to see us actually competing in games? We had some bad games under Lampard, but we had some bloody good ones, too. I'm still waiting for a good game under Cocu. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Actually, last season we gained the second least points in that time window. Last season was enjoyable because of mostly cup moments, but we weren't good. It was somewhat saved by sneaking into 6th - and then having a great day against a Leeds team that had dominated us in the regular season.

We got more points than last season when we finished 8th in 2014-15; 6th in 2017-18; 5th in 2015-16. 

I get that people enjoyed it but we had an absolute ton of abysmal games - just go back and read through all the match threads. At least half of them talked about how useless and inexperienced Lampard is, at least 33% had a majority taking that tone. And seeing that we had 3 players who are all balling out in the premier league as we speak, surely we should have done far better than our second worst points haul since 2012-13?

If not; then without them our team is what? Mid-table at best. In which case getting dominated by Leeds today is probably reasonable. 

A voice of reason in all this over the top garbage. 

Just now, Andicis said:

I do think you can look at the strength of the Championship of relative seasons though, points tally doesn't give the kind of context behind the results. We had an inexperienced manager, we brought through Bogle, we made it the furthest we did since McClaren at 13/14 (other managers may have got more points, but they fell apart in playoffs). The football was also pretty good. 

The football was pretty good sometimes. Not even most of the time. 

At memorable times, sure. 

Don't get me wrong I loved having Lampard and Morris, with Mount Wilson and Tomori and the feel good factor. It was an enjoyable season to follow, but a very big chunk of the games were not enjoyable 90 minutes to watch.

This is rubbish. Why arnt we pressing higher. We lose the ball in leeds half and instantly jog back to 11 men camped in our own half 

Saw Zoon lose it. Instead of sprinting 5 yards to put their player under pressure he just jogged back to his own half

Leeds have so much time on the ball. Im a big believer in play out from the back  when you can if you cant then hit it long. We are our own worst enemy 

Need to improve big time second half. Its pass and stand there. How hard is it to pass and move into space and move the ball quicker? Its like everyone is scared of trying something instead everyone is trying to play the way they are facing. 

Archived