v Brentford (A) Match Thread

jimbo jones

I just cannot believe that we have already tried 3 centre forwards (Waghorn, Marriott and Bennett) none of whom have the experience, skill set or footballing brain of Chris Martin, and he has not even made the bench in the last few games.

Marriott is a good player, but not good enough up front on his own, Waghorn is not good enough for a promotion seeking team, and Bennett is League Two standard at best. 

I fail to understand why Cocu is not giving a 20 goal a season centre forward an extended run over those three players ! 

And as for Tom Lawrence, surely he has been given more than enough chances to prove himself, and has woefully failed to reach a consistent standard at this level ! 

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently on holiday so had to let talksport keep me updated. Interestingly having read on here, the reporter at the game made a point of stating how good our fans were clapping our team off at HT and applauding them back out and encouraging the team, no mention of any booing. How bad was the booing? My take on this, again only limited to to being away is that going through the team the issues seem quite obvious. Roos - we needed a first choice to come in, Bielik needs to be moved into midfield and Clarke at CB, THudd isn’t good/mobile enough for what we need, Dowell isn’t what we need and isn’t playing in his correct position, as for a long time now we need quality wise players, yes we signed Paterson but again we needed a quality player who would improve the team. Bogle’s Injury hasn’t helped, neither has Holmes’. 

The solutions are not straight forward but you would think changes would be made, Thudd, Dowell, Lawrence need taking out. Hopefully Bogle will be back and Holmes ready to start. Shinnie must be wondering what he has to do. 

Dare I also say with no shots on target in 180mins will the wardrobe get a chance on the bench next time out? Though I appreciate you could probably put Aguero and Salah upfront and if there’s no service then there’s no point. 

Keep the faith. UTR. 

25 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

I used the word blame yes but I didn't use the word scapegoat? ?‍♀️

You said

and

You want to know whose back you should be getting on? And you want someone to be held accountable? You didn't use the word blame no, but it's effectively that isn't it? You want to know whose fault it is?

Blaming someone and holding someone accountable are two different things.

I deliberately avoided using the word blame exactly for the reason that you've just provided me with. 

49 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

You’re risking now getting bombarded with posts about how poor we are atm and can’t see any improvement etc

Do These posters think Norwich were playing good football at the time ?

I can hear knees jerking all over Derby

Let's put some context to Norwich's start, since people love to use that as an example.

In Norwich's first 6 games, they played against Leeds, Sheff Utd and WBA. The 3 teams that finished in the top 4 with them. They also played against their local rivals. 

It's also worth noting, Norwich still had the ability to score goals during this spell, and towards the end of the 6 games they had started to look better.

We just put in one of the worst performances in recent memory when half the players didn't even look arsed in the first half. Our only league win was in the first game, and the football has got progressively worse since then. We're out of the cup against our local rivals in an absolute men against boys thrashing.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Let's put some context to Norwich's start, since people love to use that as an example.

In Norwich's first 6 games, they played against Leeds, Sheff Utd and WBA. The 3 teams that finished in the top 4 with them. They also played against their local rivals. 

It's also worth noting, Norwich still had the ability to score goals during this spell, and towards the end of the 6 games they had started to look better.

We just put in one of the worst performances in recent memory when half the players didn't even look arsed in the first half. Our only league win was in the first game, and the football has got progressively worse since then. We're out of the cup against our local rivals in an absolute men against boys thrashing.

Let’s just give up then , sack the manager and make us a team no one will touch us with a barge pole .??‍♂️Ffs

11 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Hmm yeah over 10,000 post all on the back of others???

To be fair all ive read off you and a few other new posters is negativity and arguments 

Classic bullying behaviour by both you and your mate

Cannot stand up for your own opinions so you have to enlist others to help you 

Ganging up on other posters instead of dealing with criticism on your own 

Why can’t either of you stand on your own two feet ? 

17 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Who did you want to appoint that was available???  At short notice?

Pulis?

Don’t get your obsession with short notice it was the most protracted saga ever. We did not need to rush. We have not benefited from it (either through our start or transfer dealings).

You can look at various options nationally and internationally. A style of coach suited to a pressing game and more akin to the championship. There’s plenty with experience and I’ve no doubt plenty more suited to a press/championship type style abroad

8 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

I don’t know the guy/girl I’ve just read his/her posts, you got that twisted, I just agree with most of his/her posts all I see off you is negativity. Never seen such an influx of negativity ina long while

Just now, Grumpy Git said:

Just home from Griffin Park. Biggest mistake today was me leaving the Rocket at Putney Bridge to go to the game.

Complete shambles. We could have played until next Saturday and still not scored (or had a shot on target).

How was the atmosphere there sounds good first half and then turned at half time?

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Blaming someone and holding someone accountable are two different things.

I deliberately avoided using the word blame exactly for the reason that you've just provided me with. 

Ok, I'll reword my original question then.

Why does there have to be someone at the club held accountable?

What exactly would they be held accountable for?

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Don’t get your obsession with short notice it was the most protracted saga ever. We did not need to rush. We have not benefited from it (either through our start or transfer dealings).

You can look at various options nationally and internationally. A style of coach suited to a pressing game and more akin to the championship. There’s plenty with experience and I’ve no doubt plenty more suited to a press/championship type style abroad

So who were you hoping to appoint?

1 minute ago, GrimsbyRam said:

How was the atmosphere there sounds good first half and then turned at half time?

It was good until we let two goals in 30 seconds apart.

Cocu especially and some of the players got some stick at the end (as they leave the pitch at the away-end). On that performance, it's hard to criticise anyone in the crowd for having a go.

I've not been to many games of late, but it was definitely in the top one for being a shambles. Brentford could have had 7 or 8, we were lucky to score 0.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Cocu especially and some of the players got some stick at the end (as they leave the pitch at the away-end). On that performance, it's hard to criticise anyone in the crowd for having a go.

I've not been to many games of late, but it was definitely in the top one for being a shambles. Brentford could have had 7 or 8, we were lucky to score 0.

That’s football though isn’t it. I’m looking going to Leeds but I could say suck it we’re not going cause we’re not gonna play well and get beat!

But I will and we may or may not. But I won’t be going then giving them stick at then end. I may as well go and support Man City and go once a year ?‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You make some very valid points about the performances, but as far as the teams played goes I reckon any 3 of the 4 of Swansea, Bristol City, WBA or Brentford could potentially be the equivalents of Leeds, Sheff Utd and WBA from last year, they're all very good teams.

Sometimes you get bad breaks / bad luck, sometimes you get a crap ref, today we had non of those, we were simply rubbish, there was nothing to mitigate that performance.

One good point is that we shouldn't be able to play that badly again this season, (but I won't hold my breath).

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Yes I thought they were quite wasteful to be honest.  That was the worst first half of football for a long time.

i can see the shape of a defence with Clarke (accept he’s slow but play with speed around him) and Bogle returning.  it’s just the wide players and CMs that worry me as we need Bielek and Holmes to be performing 9/10 every week and not to get injured as I cannot see any class or people that can consistently make a difference at this time. I think we have only scored two from open play since the first 45 mins of football?

27 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

You owe us you owe us both an apology for such an accusation.

whats happened to this forum?

Two people disagree and it’s bullying?

give your head a wobble 

Our first ever foreign manager. We have moved away from the tired old dinosaurs and taken a chance on someone who has a proven track record. Hell, many people believed we got the better deal replacing Lampard with Cocu.

Are people seriously willingly to want change after 6 league games? Say that out loud to see how insane that is. Don't bother with context because context doesn't matter anymore. Why so desperate for change? What are we in danger of not doing this season? Another promotion or bust season? What percentage before the season would have been happy with a top half finish? One of our biggest issues has been never having a manager long enough to fix the problems they find. This is our weakest squad since before Mac1.

I see some fans saying Cocu disrespected them by the team selection against Forest. Are you showing him any respect? I sure as hell don't see that right now. Or must he earn it...

Hopefully this madness will have calmed down by the time we next play. 

42 minutes ago, Andicis said:

WeLet's put some context to Norwich's start, since people love to use that as an example.

Well said, people clinging on to Norwich's start and hoping for us to do the same are deluded. It will get worse before it gets better IMO with who we have to play next 2 games.

Archived