v Brentford (A) Match Thread

jimbo jones

@ Griffin Park, Saturday 31st August, KO 3pm

i believe I’m allowed to start this after last night defeat.....

i don’t wish to dwell on last night, so let’s look forward to a return to league football, and let’s finish August as we started, with 3 points on the road ?

up the rams ? ??

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important game. 

Wouldn't change that much. .

Malone over Buchanan for me, Lowe done fine at right back.

Clarke needs patience, good player in there.

Dowell needs a break, hopefully Holmes fit. I would go Huddlestone, but Evans wouldnt offend me instead.

Bennett/Paterson, Jozefzoon not convinced me, keep them as options off the bench and let the full backs offer width.

Roos 

Lowe, Clarke, Keogh, Malone

Huddlestone

Holmes, Bielik

Waghorn, Lawrence.

Marriott

Can we make pontus cry again?

Will we fondly be reminiscing about rowett playing Bradley Johnson as our number ten away at Brentford?

Will Holmes be booed for  unproven and strenuously denied allegations of racist abuse he made last year?

More importantly than any of that, will get the much needed three points before the international break? Let's not get melodramatic, but three points would just make fir a contented two weeks to work on things. A draw and we'll all be frustrated. A loss and it'll be circle the wagons on team happy clapper whilst team misery guts beat the war drums.

I think we'll get better as the season goes on and I think two weeks to learn and work on things would dk everyone a bit of good.

And the 4th test is on during tthe break so we can relax and enjoy England returning to type in the face of ossie fast bowling.

If they can manage after Tuesday's fixture I'd go for...

Hamer (his distribution last night was good, see no differences with Roos for shot stopping)

Holmes Keogh Clarke Lowe

Bielek

Knight  Dowell

Waghorn   Marriott    Lawrence 

Bench: Roos, Buchanan, Huddlestone, Evans, Bennett, Lawson-mitchell, Paterson.

Think having Lowe (who has impressed me since he came into the team at RB) in his natural position could fill the creative void left by Bogle, especially with Holmes on the other side.

Bielek drops back into a 3 to allow FBs to move forwards. Knight box to box. Dowell to occupy the space between the lines. 

Think we'll lose/ get a draw at best but hoping for a performance closer to WBA than the cup game. 

We can't bang on and on about 'happy to give time as long as youth being brought through and a style starting to take shape and results steadily improving' and then whinge when these things haven't all come to fruition by the end of August... 

Holmes may not have been racially abused the first time round, but I’d put good money on some idiot to make a comment and it blow up all over again. 

Not sure on the team, but I’d go for: Roos; Lowe, Keogh, Bielik, Clarke, Malone; Knight, Dowell; Lawrence, Waghorn, Marriott 

It’s huge after the Forest result. 

Last visit to griffin park unless we get an FA cup match there before it’s demolished- and after someone returned tickets, I’ll be there. Hoping for a much better away trip than last night...

Brentford have had a pretty awful start to the season, and have really struggled scoring goals. Trouble is, the same can be said about us. So it’s a very tight match to call as usual, but if we have anything about us we should be recording an easy win here to get us back on track- particulary after throwing the cup tie Tuesday night. We lose here and cocu will be in all kinds of poo from the fans. 

We all know Brentford like to play decent football. We need to be marking tight to stop them being able to play their quick passing game. I want to see the midfield offering a proper solid protection to the backline- too often this season teams have found it very easy to just cut through our midfield leaving our defence exposed, I want to see that rectified here. We also need to make sure we’re pressing high on Brentford, they like having the ball so let’s make sure it’s not easy when they do. We’re the away side so it’s what we need to be doing, as well as working on being able to hit them with quick counter attacks to catch them out when they’re high up the pitch. It may not be a particularly controlling performance but at this point I really don’t care, I just want the 3 points. Hopefully we can get a bit more of a settled side and formation out there, need to build a proper centre half partnership who know each other’s game so we can be a bit more solid, and also keep to one formation as much as possible so the players know what they’re doing. 

Team for me:

Roos

Lowe Keogh Bielik Malone

Huddlestone

Knight Holmes

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence 

Much as Malone has been awful, it’s not helping us playing two fullbacks out of position. Since we have no choice On the Lowe one really, I’d get Malone back in. Dowell has been awful and ineffective for too long, he doesn’t deserve to start here, get Holmes back instead. Thought Waghorn was decent on the right so give him another chance- just ffs get him off pens!!

Anyone kind of missing Bradley J?

If he was available to us, I would expect a poll to place him in the team for a tricky away game like this.

With current squad I would go for Shinnie as he has experience, along side our Dwain and Beilik as central 3.

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence up top.

(PS I have seen no games other than Huddersfield and Swansea due to holibobs so my opinion don’t count for much).

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Couple of observations....don't think you can play both Hudders and Bielik in the same midfied...and Waggers and Marriott need to play as a 2 up top, don't think Waggers is a winger...…..

No-one else in our side is a winger either. Whilst Waghorn was one of our better performers on the wing against West Brom I do agree that we would be better playing a two up front with Waggers and Marriott together.

Hmm tricky one. 

To me this depends a bit on if Holmes is fit and then second question is where do you play him we are crying out for him in midfield but he's also an asset potentially at wing back. 

With Lowe doing ok there I'd be tempted to go as I feel it puts us 1 player off our best 11.

Roos

Lowe Keogh Clarke Malone 

Bielik 

Holmes   Knight 

Waghorn Mariott Lawrence 

If he's not fit I'd be half tempted to give Sibley a go in there.

It's possible though we would have a better balance with something like:

Roos 

Keogh Bieilik Buchanan 

Holmes     Huddlestone       Lowe

Knight           Shinnie 

Mariott      Waghorn 

Move on from Florest . Go again and build on from what we started at WBA 

Roos 

Lowe.       Keogh.          Bielik.      Buchanan

Huddlestone

Knight.                    Holmes 

Waghorn.         Marriott.           Lawrence 

Brentford were all over Charlton last weekend - 68% possession and 21 shots. However, only 4 of those were on target so they're not exactly troubling the keeper. Surely we can beat a team that've only scored 2 goal so far this season??

20 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Important game. 

Wouldn't change that much. .

Malone over Buchanan for me, Lowe done fine at right back.

Clarke needs patience, good player in there.

Dowell needs a break, hopefully Holmes fit. I would go Huddlestone, but Evans wouldnt offend me instead.

Bennett/Paterson, Jozefzoon not convinced me, keep them as options off the bench and let the full backs offer width.

Roos 

Lowe, Clarke, Keogh, Malone

Huddlestone

Holmes, Bielik

Waghorn, Lawrence.

Marriott

Good team. 

12 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Hmm tricky one. 

To me this depends a bit on if Holmes is fit and then second question is where do you play him we are crying out for him in midfield but he's also an asset potentially at wing back. 

With Lowe doing ok there I'd be tempted to go as I feel it puts us 1 player off our best 11.

Roos

Lowe Keogh Clarke Malone 

Bielik 

Holmes   Knight 

Waghorn Mariott Lawrence 

If he's not fit I'd be half tempted to give Sibley a go in there.

It's possible though we would have a better balance with something like:

Roos 

Keogh Bieilik Buchanan 

Holmes     Huddlestone       Lowe

Knight           Shinnie 

Mariott      Waghorn 

I like both of those as well 

it reminds you, we have some good players, we can do this COYR

Huge huge game before the International break. Would settle everyone down if we can get a win here. Not outside the realms of possibility. 

We should get chances against this lot but have to be on it defensively as last year showed. On selection, I'm still unsure if Bielik is fully fit yet. He's obviously a good player but against Bristol he looked knackered. Whenever the ball was out of play he was gasping for air, hopefully he's made time up now. I do think he's wasted at CB and Matt Clarke should be starting with Keogh. Marriott and Waggy in from the start for sure: 

If all players are fit I'd go: 

Roos 

Lowe Keogh Clarke Malone/Buchanan

Bielik 

Knight    Holmes 

Waggy Marriott Lawrence 

COYR. Always love this away day and the Brentford fans are actually great crack after the game, The Griffin before the game, Princess Royal after if anyone is looking for watering holes. 

Archived