v Brentford (A) Match Thread

jimbo jones

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is a simple game.

Usually the cream rises - as we can see with four of the top six spots being occupied by three teams who were in the top 8 last season and Fulham, who were the strongest team coming down from the Premier League.

The only real surprises are Swansea and Charlton, and probably both clubs have benefitted from not trying to change too much too quickly. A little continuity goes a long way. 

Sadly we have had the core of our team ripped out. It is probably easier to deal with if the manager is already in place and already planning ahead. But when you add a new manager to the mix, it complicates things.

A simple game is being complicated.

Some critical elements in the team have been replaced by two standout players from League 1 who are being relied upon to make the step up, and three players who offer no more than squad depth.

There is a big deficit in quality and as good a coach and a tactician Cocu might be, we are asking a lot from him when it's abundantly clear we haven't given him the tools to compete.

1 minute ago, Jayram said:

I was there today and that was THE worst 45 minutes of football I’ve seen from a Derby County side in the last 10-15 years. Regardless of the formation, tactics or personnel there is no excuse for such an abysmal display. The most telling moment for me was in the second half at 3-0 when Brentford’s manager was on his feet urging his team forward while Cocu was standing there with his hands in his pocket looking completely baffled. 

I have a really bad feeling about this - I just sense that Cocu has no idea how to turn things around and what to do for the best. He has no connection with the fans and consequently his margin for error is going to be very slim. 

He’s going to have the job of his life in the next 2 weeks to instil some semblance of confidence into what seems already to be a squad short on quality, balance and understanding of what is expected of them.

Lets hope he sorts it because the venom directed at him and the team as they team came off at half time today was horrendous.

Was it really worse than the first half at Villa last season?

I'm sure a lot of our fans had gone by half time in that one, I remember so many people saying how angry they were about it.

56 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I get the sense that Cocu is the right guy, but possibly at the wrong time. Timing is everything in football, and probably for a club in our position this summer, appointing Wassall to steady the ship, and for the sake of stability and continuity, might have been more sensible. 

The club haven't really given Cocu the best base to start from. He looks like a sitting duck at this point.

Oh god no. If we'd appointed wassall, mel would be getting savaged right now.

its players we needed. Midfield players. Good ones. Players that we spend all year scouting because we know that mount and wilson, bryson and johnson will all be leaving. Not players who we just happen to have been offered by chance.

12 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

We’re all not pleased  with this but how is this not part of a slow building project using young talented home grown players?

It's just not good enough. I don't care if we're building, I'm fine about that, but I actually wanna see some glimpses of what we're supposed to be building. 

1 minute ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

I'm sure a lot of our fans had gone by half time in that one, I remember so many people saying how angry they were about it.

Villa last season were a team full of quality players clearly on their way up the league. Brentford had won one match and had scored 2 goals in 5 games before today. 

It really was awful today believe me.

Just now, Jayram said:

Villa last season were a team full of quality players clearly on their way up the league. Brentford had won one match and had scored 2 goals in 5 games before today. 

It really was awful today believe me.

And we are a weaker team today. Neither of our first/second choice full backs. A striker lacking match sharpness.

9 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

I didn’t go today but went to Villa and it was a truly shocking performance and the only time I have ever left a game after 70 mins. 

16 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I was there today and that was THE worst 45 minutes of football I’ve seen from a Derby County side in the last 10-15 years. Regardless of the formation, tactics or personnel there is no excuse for such an abysmal display. The most telling moment for me was in the second half at 3-0 when Brentford’s manager was on his feet urging his team forward while Cocu was standing there with his hands in his pocket looking completely baffled. 

I have a really bad feeling about this - I just sense that Cocu has no idea how to turn things around and what to do for the best. He has no connection with the fans and consequently his margin for error is going to be very slim. 

He’s going to have the job of his life in the next 2 weeks to instil some semblance of confidence into what seems already to be a squad short on quality, balance and understanding of what is expected of them.

Lets hope he sorts it because the venom directed at him and the team as they team came off at half time today was horrendous.

I agree, whilst not there the camera panned over and there was a rabbit in the headlights type moment 

Just now, derbydaz22 said:

I didn’t go today but went to Villa and it was a truly shocking performance and the only time I have ever left a game after 70 mins. 

The only reason I didn’t leave at a similar time today was because it was unexpectedly pissing down and I’d parked 20 minutes away!

I probably put it out of context when i was on about the youngsters playing in the 1st team, yes they need 1st team experience but they need the senior players to nurture and encourage them about their performances when they are on the pitch,they seem to have been thrown in  the deep end and we seem over reliant on the youngsters at the moment due to having a weak squad which is no fault of Cocu's 

I'm going to get slated for this and probably rightly so, but I just get the feeling of a Nigel Pearson mark 2 situation where he ends up sacked pretty quickly or we fall down the league, and he goes with us in a very bad way.

Yes the midfield is completely poo personal wise, but who's fault is that? If he continues playing Dowell and Huddlestone he will deserve the sack as they shouldn't play again,  and he was the one who signed Dowell, he was the one who signed Rooney but then didn't get another midfielder of quality when we absolutely crying out for one. If we are really that tight on funds which I am sure we aren't, then we shouldn't have spent so much on Bielik. We should have spread the budget out more to sign 2 new midfielders rather than 1, Shinnie hasn't been given much a chance for some reason which is surprising given people were hopeful he would be a decent player after how he played for Aberdeen, Paterson hasn't played much as well which is also surprising when the wingers starting are achieving sweet duck all.  I would have also looked to sign a new left back, as Lowe is not good enough defensively IMO to be a starter as of yet,  then Malone is very poor  and at the same time we can't rely on Forsyth after his injury problems and his inconsistent form.

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's just not good enough. I don't care if we're building, I'm fine about that, but I actually wanna see some glimpses of what we're supposed to be building. 

You don’t seem fine with it, takes more time than has passed. We all sit round in the pub and talk about how fickle football fans are and how quickly managers get the bullet.

Lets not be this

Ooh it wasn’t good today

1-2 then 3 down in first half

2nd half spirited but not much. Think for second game running - no shots on target 

me and a few lads stayed back for a few beers - and just so happened stuck around when players came out 

not sure we have a happy camp - Dowell is about at the lowest, Holmes confirmed things not right. They don’t look a happy bunch 

worrying 

Just got back from match mi owds .... highlights? Seeing virgin a340 flying over.  fuming still from Tuesday if I'm  honest ..we've got problems. I think wi are in for rough season mi owds and ta top ot all mi prize pigeon has been booked by zippy...one o other pigeons 

1 minute ago, irobinson said:

Ooh it wasn’t good today

1-2 then 3 down in first half

2nd half spirited but not much. Think for second game running - no shots on target 

me and a few lads stayed back for a few beers - and just so happened stuck around when players came out 

not sure we have a happy camp - Dowell is about at the lowest, Holmes confirmed things not right. They don’t look a happy bunch 

worrying 

I'm sure when the get a bank statement they will feel better mi owd

9 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

And we are a weaker team today. Neither of our first/second choice full backs. A striker lacking match sharpness.

No excuse for that, 3-0 flatters us , if they were more clinical and actually tried to attack us with intensity second half we could have lost by a few more.

5 minutes ago, Jayram said:

The only reason I didn’t leave at a similar time today was because it was unexpectedly pissing down and I’d parked 20 minutes away!

I went to the pub it seemed a much better idea than watching the rest of the game and I wasn’t on my own it was full of Derby fans.

Archived