v Brentford (A) Match Thread

jimbo jones

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

I haven’t got a clue what Cocu is trying to do, and the performances are getting worse week in, week out. 

A) To my eye, he's trying to implement an attacking, possession based style of football, akin to the one Lampard (occasionally) produced. He's trying to do this whilst:

- Being without Tomori, Mount and Wilson.

- Without his best full-back.

- Blooding younger players who will need game time to improve and get used to the demands of the Championship

He's finding this pretty hard to do, mostly due to the fact that we have a serious lack of quality in the wide areas and are currently looking devoid of creative ideas in the centre of the park. Adding Holmes will help this. If we had added a better RW in the transfer window, this would have helped.

The reality is that we probably don't have the personnel to play this system at the minute, and I think this is the error you can accuse Cocu of. He needs to move us into a formation that better suits the players we have available (such as a 3-5-2, I think Keogh even alluded to liking us in that formation in an interview). 

B) I think from Huddersfield to West Brom, we actually looked better each week. Forest and Brentford have been a bit disastrous, but some fans are using these two games as their benchmark for the entire season so far, which is both ludicrous and just a bit stupid (I'm not accusing you of this).

This forum gives a good insight to the entire fanbase, and it's been great to read so many posters getting and buying into what we are trying to do. Some, I think, are just letting us down. They sound spoilt and arrogant, a bit like some of our players looked on the pitch on Saturday.

Final point: We can't, as a fanbase, expect a transitional season and then throw our toys out the pram when we play like we're going through a transitional season. We just look daft. 

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jayram said:

I know what sort of season he had but I don’t think we’d have reacted like that; the difference is that the Brighton fans could probably see where the team were going and what Hughton was trying to achieve; so far I haven’t got a clue what Cocu is trying to do, and the performances are getting worse week in, week out. 

Of course you haven’t got a clue what Cocu is trying to do. We’ve only played 6 league games. Ridiculous to expect us to hit full form, with fully cohesive football being played after our pre season. 

7 hours ago, TimRam said:

He should have thought of the fans....and did not.

Too much being made of the defeat at Forest perhaps. It's just one game in a competition that we have no hope of winning. I wasn't surprised at his team selection. After all, it's not uncommon in the Caraboa cup, to give game time to squad players. Just my opinion however. 

11 hours ago, enachops said:

Of course you haven’t got a clue what Cocu is trying to do. We’ve only played 6 league games. Ridiculous to expect us to hit full form, with fully cohesive football being played after our pre season. 

What I expect after 6 games is at the very least to see some shots on target and to be mildly entertained, neither of which have occurred very much, and certainly not in the last week.

Archived