v Forest (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

RiddingsRam

I suspected this would happen.

Come Saturday, we will have had 6 league games and 2 cup ties in the space of 26 days.

He was going to make changes at some point, and clearly the league is his priority.

Losing to Forest is never nice. Tonight can’t have been worse than the 5-2 game in 2010-11 mind you, when we actually put out a strong and fairly cohesive side, not a team of strangers.

Tonight was a free hit. If Cocu gets the team sorted and we shoot up the league, this will just be a minor blot on his copybook.

When we were at Wembley in May and Forest fans were in their gardens watering the plants, their 1-0 win at the City Ground in March will have been of little comfort.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Going to ring in sick tomorrow because I work in the centre of Nottingham and I can’t take the gentle ribbing I will get from the Forest fans.

Oops sorry I did it wrong.

I meant the F*rest fans.

Are you the guy on the statue outside the castle with the bow and arrow and pointy hat

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Can’t be added to read through what is inevitably an argument between happy clappers, wrist slashers, and people who sit somewhere in the middle. 

Now it’s time for me to wade in with my tuppence worth. 

Anyone who thinks Cocu was going to select any other team than this wasn’t paying much attention when he got appointed.

one of his prime objectives was to bring through youth. One of his greatest skills and achievements at PSV is the way he brought through youth. The only way you can bring them through is by playing them in matches.

Youth can’t win every game they play. That is a fantasy and a pipe dream. Which is not to say they were set up to loose tonight, but not was the primary objective to necessarily win. The primary objective is to give the young players minutes in a competitive match, against higher level opposition. The fact that it’s forest and gives them that added pressure to deal with is a bonus.

Ultimately, would you rather loose 3-0 to forest in the cup, or in the league?

take this loss today, and when we play them in the league with a team made up of half the same players, now valued at millions each, and return the tonking, the long term benefit will be realised. 

If cocu has played a full strength team, beat forest, drawn a premier league team next round, the opportunity for these lads to have a run out against championship opposition would have been lost, for the sake of short term gratification and bragging rights. 

Maybe im a happy clapper, but I’m willing to trust the guy that has a proven track record of achieving the goal of bringing youth through, for all the benefits that will eventually bring us. 

He appears to have no concept of how big this game is to Derby fans.  That, to me is a bare minimum.  Hope he enjoyed his training session this evening.  Sure those crawling back on a closed A52, who didn't see there side register a shot have enjoyed it just as much .  Marriott providing balls for Bennett ????

Regarding the bringing through of youth- ultimately the best young dutch players are always going to be at Ajax or PSV.  The success rate of youngsters coming into the side will be high regardless of manager.

I'd rather lose no games to Forest, but if we do at least make it a game .

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I suspected this would happen.

Come Saturday, we will have had 6 league games and 2 cup ties in the space of 26 days.

He was going to make changes at some point, and clearly the league is his priority.

Losing to Forest is never nice. Tonight can’t have been worse than the 5-2 game in 2010-11 mind you, when we actually put out a strong and fairly cohesive side, not a team of strangers.

Tonight was a free hit. If Cocu gets the team sorted and we shoot up the league, this will just be a minor blot on his copybook.

When we were at Wembley in May and Forest fans were in their gardens watering the plants, their 1-0 win at the City Ground in March will have been of little comfort.

I expected 3 or 4 of the Baggies team to start. Cocu will have his strategy and quite rightly for me the League is the priority. Shame for the travelling Rams fans but not the end of the world. Need to put a decent performance in at Brentford on Saturday now.....

On the way home with a heavy heart.

Cocu obviously didn’t think this tie meant enough to put a team out as much as the 3300 that came.  The trouble I and a imagine other fans went to to be there tonight is to much to mention Nothing going forward.

Lampard did a real no. On us, left us with half a team.

Just to remind everything Mel is approaching this as a LONG TERM PROJECT. Us fans need to stop treating everything so short term if we want long term success. As long as we don't get relegated this is all so we can be a better team in the long run. We're following in the footsteps of teams like Norwich where a vision was laid down and over 2-3 years they came to fruition. We need to trust the process as we can't keep hitting reset every year.

In my opinion anyone expecting top 6 this year needs to lower their expectations, anything higher than mid table is a bonus.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

The point is I have seen lots of posts saying that these lads are supposedly better than what we have.

So when it comes to playing them there’s still moans and groans. Pathetic, entitled nonsense.

Lost me what does that mean..supposedly better than what we have 

People saying we haven’t got strength in depth. Cocu doing what he did with the squad tonight will ensure we eventually have strength in depth from within the club and not having to buy players. It may be this time next year that this comes to fruition but he has to start somewhere. 

I love the fact we are seeing Buchanan, Knight, Lowe, Sibley, Bird, Whittaker all on a regular basis. It’s better than seeing Jerome, Anya and Butterfield. 

Give it 2 or 3 more games without a win and people will be saying stuff like hes is in cloud Cocu land, and Cocu the clown and call for his head. I hope we pick up some results soon, becuase if we don't it will get toxic and it will be another Pearson situation, I think Mel is not that stupid to not give him until atleast Christmas but you never know if things turn ugly.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He appears to have no concept of how big this game is to Derby fans.  That, to me is a bare minimum.  Hope he enjoyed his training session this evening.  Sure those crawling back on a closed A52, who didn't see there side register a shot have enjoyed it just as much .  Marriott providing balls for Bennett ????

Regarding the bringing through of youth- ultimately the best young dutch players are always going to be at Ajax or PSV.  The success rate of youngsters coming into the side will be high regardless of manager.

I'd rather lose no games to Forest, but if we do at least make it a game .

His concept/outlook is a lot bigger than petty rivalry.

If he gets us into the Premier league either this year or next  you (and many others) will miraculously forget this comment and going mental with adulation like the rest of us.

I'm happy for Forest to sing about a win in a crappy cup over our second string if we're playing at Anfield as they trot off to Preston.

We either trust our manager (or are prepared to give him a fighting chance) or we don't.

This whining has started way earlier than even i thought possible - and I'm old and I've heard a lot of whining over the years.

You're avatar would suggest you were around in 95 - were you calling for calm heads when we lost 5 -1 at Tranmere and were staring down the gun of relegation before we went on an insane run?

Probably.

But my guess is you remember it differently and that was somehow *different*.

It just didn’t seem to be our night in the end, unfortunately we made the odds of it being our night very slim before ko. Got no issue with changes and no issue with playing the youth in cup games but I find it hard to see what Mason Bennett upfront learns tonight when we can’t create good chances. Again he will take some stick tonight because he’s become a whipping boy for the keyboard warriors it seems, but the simple trend throughout the season so far is that we aren’t creating enough meaningful chances. All Bennett can do is graft tonight but he never was able to reap any reward from it.

We aren’t tenacious enough and we seem to be lacking more bite than ever. We’ve lost a lot of footballing intelligence from last year too, not just in a player like Mount but in a player like Johnson too who could battle and make challenges higher up the pitch to pin back inside in their own half. At the moment we don’t have players that in the first team that want to do that in anyway, or we do have a player who is proven to be someone who can get the ball down and find smart passes in the final third but he seems more away from inclusion in a matchday  squad than ever.

At the moment there are more questions than answers, BUT it’s a long season. I hope we can look back on nights like this and say ‘it was the kick up the arse we needed’ or ‘it was really important for Holmes to get those minutes or how important it was to get the youngsters game time early on...it just doesn’t feel like that right now. Forest have hit some early season form, how many teams continue that throughout a whole campaign? It will be interesting to see the short and long term benefits tonight’s squads have for both clubs.

Well I’ve been quiet and just listened to everything with interest tonight but hearing Cocu post match, for a positive person I have to say I’m somewhat deflated.

Said before Scunthorpe and the team being announced, if you respect the cup you get nights like Man Utd and Southampton which can lead to chances against Chelsea or Brighton; they were all good trips.

If Cocu had so little respect for the cup why not play Martin or Anya, they need fitness. My worry is that experience doesn’t do much to help younger players, certainly not confidence wise! Maybe an over reaction but I’m disappointed with the thinking as much as the result. We gained nothing tonight in my honest opinion.

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Give it 2 or 3 more games without a win and people will be saying stuff like hes is in cloud Cocu land, and Cocu the clown and call for his head. I hope we pick up some results soon, becuase if we don't it will get toxic and it will be another Pearson situation, I think Mel is not that stupid to not give him until atleast Christmas but you never know if things turn ugly.

Only if people can’t see the long term plan and are short sighted. 

35 minutes ago, Saity said:

So will under 23 games help them then ?? Some had a chance to impress tonight including senior players but I’m more dissapointed with the experienced players myself ...this competition at this stage of Cocu’s tenure was probably the right time to try some young players ...he’s learnt something I have no doubt 

So could you please tell me/us what you think he has learned. Genuine question ?

Archived