v Bristol City (H) Match Thread

Parsnip

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Good news on Holmes, would think that means the injury’s cleared up. Hopefully after getting some match sharpness with the under 23s he’ll be ready to return for the first team pretty soon. We’ve really missed him so far imo, we’ve lacked anyone to properly partner dowell in his absence- should be first choice when he’s back hopefully. May even watch the first half tonight before Man U vs Wolves

Makes the start of the season impressive tbh considering we've been missing 3 of, imo, our 5 best players in most games. Up to 4 if Bielik lives up to the hype.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Makes the start of the season impressive tbh considering we've been missing 3 of, imo, our 5 best players in most games. Up to 4 if Bielik lives up to the hype.

Yeah we’ve defiantly started under strength, I think Holmes is vital this season. Midfield looks 50% weaker without him in there

Roos

Lowe Keogh Clarke Buchanan

Bielik

Dowell Shinnie 

Waggers Marriott Lawerence 

Full backs providing width and the wide forwards coming inside slightly and interchanging across the front 3.

Dowell as the attacking mid, shinnie playing box to box and dealing with their obvious counter attacking threat and Bielik to sit, cover and dictate the tempo. 

2 minutes ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Roos

Lowe Keogh Clarke Buchanan

Bielik

Dowell Shinnie 

Waggers Marriott Lawerence 

Full backs providing width and the wide forwards coming inside slightly and interchanging across the front 3.

Dowell as the attacking mid, shinnie playing box to box and dealing with their obvious counter attacking threat and Bielik to sit, cover and dictate the tempo. 

Shinnie been relegated to the U23s.

3 hours ago, northantsram said:

Id really like to see this ... maybe swap Knight for Shinnie.    Lowe and malone would have to supply the width.

Can't understand why Shinnie hasn't been given a chance yet. would like to see him being given a start replacing  either Knight or Malone.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah we’ve defiantly started under strength, I think Holmes is vital this season. Midfield looks 50% weaker without him in there

Why would anyone defiantly start the season under strength? Just to show off that they can get the job done at half speed? Total arrogance, I like it! ?

I know you meant definitely and I'm not really not a grammar nazi (though one of my nans was German so perhaps there's some Grandma Nazi in me)

It does always make me laugh when people think definitely is spelt definately though (add it to your list of words you hate getting wrong) and autocorrect does what it does, people end up defiantly doing all sorts of menial pointless poo, and it's ever so pompous!

"I defiantly put the blue bin out last night!". Why so defiant, was it black bin day!?

1 hour ago, ramjit said:

Shinnie been relegated to the U23s.

Bielik, Huddlestone and Evans are ahead of him. There’s also Knight who’s played well so far... those four (and Dowell) were more likely to be in the squad for tomorrow, meaning no space for another CM. So he’s just getting some minutes in whilst he can (wouldn’t be surprised if he asked to play for the 23s)

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Why would anyone defiantly start the season under strength? Just to show off that they can get the job done at half speed? Total arrogance, I like it! ?

I know you meant definitely and I'm not really not a grammar nazi (though one of my nans was German so perhaps there's some Grandma Nazi in me)

It does always make me laugh when people think definitely is spelt definately though (add it to your list of words you hate getting wrong) and autocorrect does what it does, people end up defiantly doing all sorts of menial pointless poo, and it's ever so pompous!

"I defiantly put the blue bin out last night!". Why so defiant, was it black bin day!?

You got me?

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bielik, Huddlestone and Evans are ahead of him. There’s also Knight who’s played well so far... those four (and Dowell) were more likely to be in the squad for tomorrow, meaning no space for another CM. So he’s just getting some minutes in whilst he can (wouldn’t be surprised if he asked to play for the 23s)

Would like so see more off him tbh.cocu did say he didn’t sign him,that there’s a player there somewhere and it’s getting him  to play the way cocu wants.it does surprise me cocu putting youth before him at the mo,so who no what going on.

2 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

Can't understand why Shinnie hasn't been given a chance yet. would like to see him being given a start replacing  either Knight or Malone.

What has he shown to be over Jason Knight, who as a young player, hasn't put a foot wrong?

Hope you play with wingers for a change. We have CB Wright injured & LB Dasilva injured too so have had to resort to playing 352 with Rowe, a CM, at LWB who had a bit of a stinker on Saturday (although you can't really blame him).  I think your natural game plan will suit our patched up one better. 

We haven't had the best start to the season, 1-1-1, and we haven't really clicked yet, with 6-8 new starters in every game you can understand why. Afobe looks good & we hope he can recapture his Wolves form, our new wonderkid from Monaco looks very good, although lightweight as you'd expect (he's just turned 18). I think the middle of the park will win it or lose it tomorrow, with 3 CMs I hope that we can take control of the game but with our new CDM coming off injured at HT on Saturday that isn't something I'm too confident of.

Here's hoping to an enjoyable game with 2 sides trying to play the game the right way. You reds.

Very big game. Only the result matters on this one.

We look like we have more players who could play in the first team than for quite a while. The young guns believe that they will get their chance. I would love to watch them training to see what Cocu does.

Hoping we don't play 2 defensive midfilders tomorrow. I get it away from home but at home I'd prefer us to be more attacking. 

Some of our best football last season came from a front 3 of Waghorn, Lawrence and Marriott. We need to find a system to suit Marriott in my opinion. He's a goalscorer and he needs a run of games now. I would be very tempted to give Hamer a go as well. Roos just doesn't inspire me with confidence. Not laying the blame entirely with him for the first goal but he was hesitant and it's not the first time. Plus I thought it was poor goalkeeping when Allen missed that sitter. I'd go with:-

Hamer

Lowe, Keogh, Clarke, Malone

Bielik

Dowell.    Knight

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence

3 hours ago, Bristol City said:

Hope you play with wingers for a change. We have CB Wright injured & LB Dasilva injured too so have had to resort to playing 352 with Rowe, a CM, at LWB who had a bit of a stinker on Saturday (although you can't really blame him).  I think your natural game plan will suit our patched up one better. 

We haven't had the best start to the season, 1-1-1, and we haven't really clicked yet, with 6-8 new starters in every game you can understand why. Afobe looks good & we hope he can recapture his Wolves form, our new wonderkid from Monaco looks very good, although lightweight as you'd expect (he's just turned 18). I think the middle of the park will win it or lose it tomorrow, with 3 CMs I hope that we can take control of the game but with our new CDM coming off injured at HT on Saturday that isn't something I'm too confident of.

Here's hoping to an enjoyable game with 2 sides trying to play the game the right way. You reds.

Has Kasey Palmer done better? I liked the look of him and hoped we might be in for him. Then when you played Leeds I thought he looked hopeless. But Leeds do know how to win possession battles and force errors. They kind of break you down with your own mistakes. Palmer and Diedhiou looked rattled. 

Lee johnson has shaken up his team - expect 7 changes from last seasons line up at PP.

Similarly Derby are massively changed with at least 6 changes from last season.

therefore i'm predicting exactly the same outcome - a  1-1  draw.

I want to see Cocu getting us playing possession based attacking football, but - after stoke - i'm expecting few changes and a Rowett-style defensive set up with bristol playing most of the football. 

Expected line up - same again but possibly with bielik for evans - Roos, lowe, malone, keogh, clarke, huddlestone, bielik, dowell, jozefzoon, waghorn, lawrence

personally i want to see more urgency in midfield but Huddz out seems highly unlikely.

Think we will start 4-3-3 (orba version of)and swap around if needed through the game , one thing Cocu's shown in his short time here is he's not afraid to change mid game . Even early on mid game . 

Roos

Lowe.       Clarke.       Keogh.    Malone 

Bielik 

Knight.                Dowell 

Waghorn.          Marriott.          Lawrence 

Plenty of flexibility in that 11 to go to a diamond , 4231 or even a back 3 . 

Archived