Best forward line you've seen play for Derby

PhilGeeWasMyIdol

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all tend to drift toward 'our' era and that for me would be 72 and 75.

Having said that, John O'Hare was a product of the system and the time imho, a bit like John Toshack and Mick Jones.

Yes, he held the ball up for Zak, and yes he was strong on the ball, but I think Goddard was a far better and more rounded player.

I don't consider the line of George, Lee and Hector to be in play because they played just one season together and they weren't really a forward line per se.

As a front two I'm taking Lee and George followed by Saunders and Goddard. And then I'll take Hector and O'Hare.

As a front four though, there has never been one in my time like the one that tore Spurs apart - and that includes the glory days.

We were so freakin fast at every position!

4 hours ago, Dennis Read said:

Hi . I'm a new member but been watching this site for years . My first memory is of my uncle taking me to my first Derby match the year we won promotion to Div 1 under Brian Clough . And been going ever since . Still haven't seen a forward pairing better than O'Hare Hector and Hinton . But we came close with Lee and George under Mackay .

A forward paring of 3 players?

Maybe you first memory should have been of talking maths.

I'm kidding Dennis, it seems everybody has decided to go for a front line....including me ?

22 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Lee, George, Hector

How many did they play together?

from memory it was more often Lee, George, Davies

Micklewhite, Saunders, Goddard, McMinn were up there with the very best forward lines in the country. I used to have a Sunday morning paper round in those days and I remember stopping to read the player ratings in the People every week before I delivered it to an old fella who lived out in the sticks, because those four would sometimes be all 9s and 10s.

Although they were the best I saw, there was a short period when Simmo, Gabbiadini, Kitson, Johnson were red hot too. They never quite gelled in the way that I hoped, but that period when we seemed to be buying up all the best young talent in the country, and then we scored seven in a league cup tie, was great to behold.

8 hours ago, TibshelfRam said:

Christie was an unreal striker - natural talent to rival the best of them. If it weren't for injury, he could've really hit the big time.

The Burley season does fly under the radar somewhat - probably because of how it ended in bitterness. But what a season it was. The creativity from Idiakez was out of this world. But you're right - no defence, which is probably why we conceded 60 goals. But what a joy to watch.

George Burley worked miracles when you consider the conditions he was managing under. Some great performances that season. 

I'll never forget that season when Rooney came in January. He was immense, way too good for the Championship. That front 3 of Waghorn, Marriott & Rooney just tore everyone to shreds! Can you remember what they did to Forest? I actually felt sorry for them. And Leeds. Whatever happened to Leeds? I think it rained that summer - imagine that? Much warmer these days.

I was lucky enough to be around to see O’Hare, Hector and Hinton. My favourite of all time is Alan Hinton. I also recall Charlie George, Roger Davies and Frannie  Lee. Unfortunately Dereck Hales doesn’t quite make my list 

The best partnership for myself, while it lasted , was Saunders and Goddard, also loved Ted and Micklewhite on the wings , can not believe Goddard wanted to go back down south and sign for that shower of poo Millwall, who never appreciated what a great player he was. Saunders was everything a number 9 should be , could finish, worked his arse off every game, chased down every ball, and always gave his all.

Archived