PhilGeeWasMyIdol

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

For a very short space of time.

Cywka, Bueno, Commons

Kuqi

For a few games, they were indestructible going forward. Then Nige put Luke Moore up front and it all went to pot. And Commons went to Celtic. From 4th to 19th..........

This was my favourite of recent times. 

Was gutted when Nige broke it up by shoe horning Moore into it. 

Bueno and Commons could make magic happen. 

1 hour ago, TibshelfRam said:

Loved the Smith, Tudgay/Bisgaard, Rasiak trio and the Russell, Ward, Martin trio in equal measure.

I often think about these combinations and wonder how they compare to the forward lines we had when we were Premier League strugglers

I think Malcolm Christie would walk into any of our championship sides - But what about Deon Burton? (for example) - He played a LOT of games for us at Premier League level and I always thought he was bang average - But he was technically playing at a higher level than any of the guys listed above have played for us

I often forget that awesome Burley season too though - That was some great football and a pretty special bunch of players who I loved watching - Although I'm pretty sure we didn't have much resembling a defence of any kind?

Really liked Howard - he was a proper centre forward played correctly.

Wanchope was hilarious.

Willems was class.

Johnson & Kitson were let-downs. Marco was Marco.

You know, other than some of the true greats, we've never really had a 'proper' partnership have we like Shearer and Sutton et al.

Hi . I'm a new member but been watching this site for years . My first memory is of my uncle taking me to my first Derby match the year we won promotion to Div 1 under Brian Clough . And been going ever since . Still haven't seen a forward pairing better than O'Hare Hector and Hinton . But we came close with Lee and George under Mackay .

58 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I often think about these combinations and wonder how they compare to the forward lines we had when we were Premier League strugglers

I think Malcolm Christie would walk into any of our championship sides - But what about Deon Burton? (for example) - He played a LOT of games for us at Premier League level and I always thought he was bang average - But he was technically playing at a higher level than any of the guys listed above have played for us

I often forget that awesome Burley season too though - That was some great football and a pretty special bunch of players who I loved watching - Although I'm pretty sure we didn't have much resembling a defence of any kind?

Christie was an unreal striker - natural talent to rival the best of them. If it weren't for injury, he could've really hit the big time.

The Burley season does fly under the radar somewhat - probably because of how it ended in bitterness. But what a season it was. The creativity from Idiakez was out of this world. But you're right - no defence, which is probably why we conceded 60 goals. But what a joy to watch.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This. I'm 31 so missed out on the 'good old days'. My good old days is the Jim Smith era.

It wasn't bad though, Cox and Smith briefly brought back the good times.

5 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

For me, Wanchope, Bianio and Sturridge - creativity, pace, power and unpredictability. 

If we had a decent midfield at the time, I always thought Carbone, Ravenelli and Kinkladze partnership as a front three was a missed opportunity. Very narrow though...

Not any more judging by those recent pictures of Kinky....?

2 hours ago, TibshelfRam said:

Christie was an unreal striker - natural talent to rival the best of them. If it weren't for injury, he could've really hit the big time.

Also, he broke through a bit too late in the era of two up top.  If he'd come through 5 years earlier he'd have been a star

19 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Saunders and Goddard by a country mile in my lifetime. 

Exactly this ^ ^ ^ for me too. Ruthless right up until the day we sold PG to Millwall for £800k.

Goddards chip of Neville Southall (one of the best keepers in the world at this time) against Everton at the BBG was a thing of beauty. 

Archived