Best forward line you've seen play for Derby

PhilGeeWasMyIdol

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was aged 11-15 during our real glory years, and worshiped our forward line but in terms of actual engagement, enjoyment and emotion I will forever be grateful for the days when Goddard, Saunders, Ted and Micklewhite were in their pomp. Happy days. 

Hector, O'Hare and Hinton have to be the best I have seen, but really all of the successful partnerships have their own special place in my memories. George and Lee were sublime. Davison and Gee terrorised third and second division defences, but never really reached the same heights in the first division. Saunders and Goddard were an absolutely fantastic partnership, they had everything. Saunders was lightning quick and excellent in the air considering his height. Goddard had the touch of the Gods. He could control the ball at any height and pace, and his vision was truly fantastic. Sturridge, Gabbiadini and Willems again were fantastic in the second division. Sturridge, Wanchope and Biano had pace and skill against the best defenders in the Prem. As I said, Hector, O'Hare and Hinton were probably the best, but Saunders and Goddard supported by Callaghan, McMinn and Micklewhite were probably my favourites because I could appreciate them more as I was older. Still proud to be able to say that I remember the very best though and Hector was and always will be my all time favourite player. He wasn't called the King for nothing.

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Although the best is probably

Duncan. Doherty stamps. Carter. Crooks

very much doubt that there is anyone left to tell us about it.

I actually remember them, but never saw them, far too young and distant. I used to collect footballer 'cards' from the sides of Typhoo tea packets. Raich Carter was my favourite, followed by Jackie Stamps.

18 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I was aged 11-15 during our real glory years, and worshiped our forward line but in terms of actual engagement, enjoyment and emotion I will forever be grateful for the days when Goddard, Saunders, Ted and Micklewhite were in their pomp. Happy days. 

Ditto, missed glory years by a smidgeon, so they were the best. 

Got smashed a few nights celebrating Wanchope, Sturridge and Baino, let’s not forget Deon too. But Goddard and Saunders best I can truly remember.

As for O.P Bobby and Phil were fun but it was 2nd tier after all, though we did smash it with all those away wins and Cally and Micklewhite made us a cut above the rest that one year.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I actually remember them, but never saw them, far too young and distant. I used to collect footballer 'cards' from the sides of Typhoo tea packets. Raich Carter was my favourite, followed by Jackie Stamps.

Raich carter was something very special by all accounts.

played until he was over 40

Carried on as a player for hull after he resigned as manager and 15,000 turned out to Watch his comeback for Hull reserves!

32 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Same, hero worshipped Kevin Hector, Charlie George and Frannie Lee as a young teenager but the later forward pairings were a sign of us being on the way back.

Did Connor Sammon and Theo Robinson ever lead the line together?

Deano and Goddard for me too. To this day I think selling Goddard cost us an unfathomable amount and have never understood the rational. 

As an aside, I had the pleasure of meeting Phil, having a drink or too and even playing with him (twice...I think) and he was always a genuinely nice guy.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Although the best is probably

Duncan. Doherty stamps. Carter. Crooks

very much doubt that there is anyone left to tell us about it.

My grandad played with Stamps, Jack Parry, Reg Harrison, and would have trained with the others, back in the early 50s.

This is him on his debut against Chelsea. 

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-chelsea-14-april-1951-71886/

FB_IMG_1543100745496.jpg

Not been watching anywhere near long enough to see some of our very best forward lines play that you’ve mentioned, but from what family members tell me about them, anything I say will pale in comparison!

in the time I’ve been watching, particulary since I got more into it circa 13/14 p, we’ve pretty much exclusively played a 3 up front so I’ll have to go with one of them.

Id probably go with: 

Russell Martin Ibe

Sadly torn apart by liverpool all too early. Imagine Ince in for Russell when he joined and duck me you’ve got an attack there

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

Hector, O'Hare and Hinton have to be the best I have seen, but really all of the successful partnerships have their own special place in my memories. George and Lee were sublime. Davison and Gee terrorised third and second division defences, but never really reached the same heights in the first division. Saunders and Goddard were an absolutely fantastic partnership, they had everything. Saunders was lightning quick and excellent in the air considering his height. Goddard had the touch of the Gods. He could control the ball at any height and pace, and his vision was truly fantastic. Sturridge, Gabbiadini and Willems again were fantastic in the second division. Sturridge, Wanchope and Biano had pace and skill against the best defenders in the Prem. As I said, Hector, O'Hare and Hinton were probably the best, but Saunders and Goddard supported by Callaghan, McMinn and Micklewhite were probably my favourites because I could appreciate them more as I was older. Still proud to be able to say that I remember the very best though and Hector was and always will be my all time favourite player. He wasn't called the King for nothing.

So much Waghorn  could learn if he watched some videos of Goddard

sadly his touch will never be as good 

11 hours ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

No mention for Phil Gee then? He did a decent job on my dad's kitchen not far back, by all accounts. Proper centre forward was Phil, and with Bobby alongside...

Yes. He was brilliant at cutting in. He could brush aside any defender and paste most centre-halves. Defenders would feel like they were treading on eggshell when he was against them and his finish was pure silk. Or Vinyl Matt emulsion. Could get up high in the corners. Etc ?

Archived