Best forward line you've seen play for Derby

PhilGeeWasMyIdol

As a new member and long time voyeur who belatedly decided to get with it, I thought I'd pose the question. Partly in a way of introducing myself. Phil Gee and Bobby D were our forwards when my old man started to take me to the BBG. For a couple of seasons or more they were on fire. I can't be sure how many they got between them but it seemed like close to 40 a season. One of my early memories was Gee scoring at Brammall Lane to secure a win and put us on the verge of promotion.

Maybe though the most talented combo was Saunders and Goddard. A mate said only the other day the goal at old Trafford was one of our best. 

I enjoyed the Kitson, Gabbiadini and Super Tommy Johnson attack. Felt a bit like it never quite lived up to what it could of been though.

In more recent times (for me anyway) Biaino and Wanchope, and last season's 3 up top when Wilson, Marriott and Lawrence were rocking was going some.

So who is it then, which forward line for you? A two or a three? Or a one man Chrissy Martin in his pomp?

And hello by the way, from what I've seen you lot are a decent bunch...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to stretch a point, but McMinn, Saunders, Goddard and Micklewhite as an attacking threat were beautiful to watch.

Studge, Wanchope and Baiano were amazing too though. Couldn't choose between my two favourite teams ever.

Martin, Russell, Ward

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Baiano, Wanchope and Sturridge

Martin, Ward and Russell (backed up by Dawkins and Bamford).

Rasiak, Smith and Tudgay (backed up by Bisgaard and Rwich)

Howard, Barnes and Stead (Lupoli) 

Hulse and Commons. 

That's the best in my time being interested as well.

Burley's team will always have a place in heart fof being the first really good Derby side I had the pleasure of cheering on.

Depends if you mean live at a game or include watching it on the tv? As an oldun, as a kid I saw the Championship winning team on tv, but live my first game was our 6-2 away win at Ipswich last game of the season in 1976. Frannie Lee's last game. Charlie George was injured so it was Hector and Lee up top. More recently I loved the Saunders/Goddard combo.....

7 minutes ago, Coolascustard said:

Same here.  Dispels the myth you need a big man and little man combination.  Goddards chip against Everton was class

Saunders was surprisingly good in the air for his height and Goddards guile made him a perfect foil for Saunders pace. One of our worst pieces of business was selling Goddard imho. 

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Depends if you mean live at a game or include watching it on the tv? As an oldun, as a kid I saw the Championship winning team on tv, but live my first game was our 6-2 away win at Ipswich last game of the season in 1976. Frannie Lee's last game. Charlie George was injured so it was Hector and Lee up top. More recently I loved the Saunders/Goddard combo.....

From my point it was live at a game, but I don't suppose watching on TV at the time makes much difference. I would love to say Hector, as my dad does, but not being born can't really count can it. 

Actually changed my mind, Steve Bloomer in 1894 was legendary .

Although the best is probably

Duncan. Doherty stamps. Carter. Crooks

very much doubt that there is anyone left to tell us about it.

Archived