Best forward line you've seen play for Derby

PhilGeeWasMyIdol

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes. He was brilliant at cutting in. He could brush aside any defender and paste most centre-halves. Defenders would feel like they were treading on eggshell when he was against them and his finish was pure silk. Or Vinyl Matt emulsion. Could get up high in the corners. Etc ?

That's put a real gloss on owd Phil's career.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, rynny said:

My grandad played with Stamps, Jack Parry, Reg Harrison, and would have trained with the others, back in the early 50s.

This is him on his debut against Chelsea. 

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-chelsea-14-april-1951-71886/

FB_IMG_1543100745496.jpg

Hope that's not a shot of him watching the ball fly into our net! ? 

Just seen we won 1-0, well played granddad. 

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Same, hero worshipped Kevin Hector, Charlie George and Frannie Lee as a young teenager but the later forward pairings were a sign of us being on the way back.

Did Connor Sammon and Theo Robinson ever lead the line together?

You sir have immaculate taste.

13 hours ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

So who is it then, which forward line for you? A two or a three? Or a one man Chrissy Martin in his pomp?

I have to go with the forward line from my favourite match - Ward, Wanchope, Sturridge

I don't think that would be the best I've seen over the course of a full season - But that one game they were all magic

For a very short space of time.

Cywka, Bueno, Commons

Kuqi

For a few games, they were indestructible going forward. Then Nige put Luke Moore up front and it all went to pot. And Commons went to Celtic. From 4th to 19th..........

11 hours ago, R@M said:

Deano and Goddard for me too. To this day I think selling Goddard cost us an unfathomable amount and have never understood the rational. 

As an aside, I had the pleasure of meeting Phil, having a drink or too and even playing with him (twice...I think) and he was always a genuinely nice guy.

He signed for us over Liverpool on the condition that he be allowed to go back to London should the opportunity arise

Definitely Bainio, Wanchope, Sturridge.

Loved the Smith, Tudgay/Bisgaard, Rasiak trio and the Russell, Ward, Martin trio in equal measure.

But to echo the left field thoughts of @SouthStandDan, for about a 5/6 game period, the forward line of Kuqi fed by Cywka, Bueno and Commons was electric and genuinely had me believing that we were going up under Cloughy. I remember beating Palace 5-0, Boro 3-1 Watford 4-1, Preston 3-0 and Portsmouth 2-0 and a few away games in quick sucession. Oh, what might have been.

Saunders & Goddard. 

I did see Davidson and Gee etc but for me those two S&G took on the top flight defenders and put them to the sword. 

To finish as high as we have in a long time and narrowly missing out on Europe. 

Beautiful to watch. 

Wanchope, Biano & Sturridge was also great, a close second. 

Archived