January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

15 minutes ago, David said:

January is not cheap as prices are inflated so we should be cautious about bringing in too many permanent signings in the desperation window. 

Should look at bringing in loans to see us through to the summer if needed.

I would largely agree with you on that. I'd happily see us bring in a winger/midfielder on loan.

I'd like to see us try to bring in permanent additions when it comes to the Keeper and the Centre-Half, though. We're really lacking quality in those positions and, long term, I think we need to strengthen. 

In the midfield and on the wings, it seems like less of a priority. Especially when you look at the players we've got coming through the academy.

I don't see that same quality shining through at the back! 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even steve nic wrote today that departures likely - think it’s probably optimistic to believe Anya has a buyer waiting 6 months before his contract ends but maybe Bennett, Forsyth, Zoon (dutch homecoming ?)

Dowell to head home, maybe even Paterson. 

On the incoming - lets not get in the way of Sibley and Knights forthcoming first team places, but centre back (s) needed

3 minutes ago, singaporeram said:

even steve nic wrote today that departures likely - think it’s probably optimistic to believe Anya has a buyer waiting 6 months before his contract ends but maybe Bennett, Forsyth, Zoon (dutch homecoming ?)

Dowell to head home, maybe even Paterson. 

On the incoming - lets not get in the way of Sibley and Knights forthcoming first team places, but centre back (s) needed

Those running out of contracts and not playing at the moment would be the likely guess; Anya, Bennett, Forsyth, and Thorne. Maybe with the push Huddz, Davies and Martin would be available as well as it's a bad business (FFP) to let the contracts run out. Zoon and Wisdom haven't played lately so there is plenty of names to pick from.

One thing that’s been glaringly obvious for me all season is the lack of characters in the squad. 

we need leadership and grit, Rooney will bring that in abundance so good start but we need bite and steel in midfield 

Just feels this season that we’re a bit to “nice”

8 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

In the midfield and on the wings, it seems like less of a priority. Especially when you look at the players we've got coming through the academy.

Really? We don’t have any left footed wingers.

On 09/10/2019 at 11:17, Squid said:

One player whos caight my eye over the past year - although he would be very difficult to bring in is Teun Koopmeiners from AZ Alkmaar, he seems to be a top player, can play defensive midfielder, centre back, and in central midfield and has scored 5 goals in 9 games so far this season..

If we can offload Huddlestone then he could definately be a great player to bring in, and with Cocu favouring two defensive midfielders he would be perfect for the team. 

The issue is It'd most likely be another price tag like Bieliks...

Like Koopmeiners a lot ...also a great name lol 

Going to no doubt upset a few on here but.... a GK with stature and who will bring assurity to the back 4 is a must 2 Centre backs 2 Mids at least hopefully one ball player one right sided player and a centre forward who scores...like Dwight Gayle on loan...now some may say we have too many forwards but I think its time to offload a few and get some goals into this side...Rooney will make a big difference too...just my opinion of course

6 minutes ago, S8TY said:

a centre forward who scores...like Dwight Gayle on loan...

The same Dwight Gayle who is on £40k+ a week? To then have Marriott, Martin, Waghorn or Rooney on the bench? Not sure that exactly matches up with Cocu's philosophies of not blocking the path for young players either. Not sure what an expensive loan signing, when its not even a key position that needs filling would achieve if this is supposedly a transitional season. 

1 hour ago, Nick_Ram said:

The same Dwight Gayle who is on £40k+ a week? To then have Marriott, Martin, Waghorn or Rooney on the bench? Not sure that exactly matches up with Cocu's philosophies of not blocking the path for young players either. Not sure what an expensive loan signing, when its not even a key position that needs filling would achieve if this is supposedly a transitional season. 

Scoring goals gets you further up the table none of our strikers so far this season look like getting 20 goals which is needed so we either persevere with what we have or change things but looking at the games so far this season i beleive with better finishing we'd have at least 8 points  more than we have ...i don't think Mount,Temori or Wilson came cheap on loan either but we managed it and are saving 25k a week on Keogh

January is such a poisoned chalice, more often than not you end up overpaying for overrated players. I’d expect and hope we’d look at a few loanees, maybe using Cocu’s link with Pep at City or our link with Lampard at Chelsea. Plenty of young talent coming through their ranks.

Just hope if we do make any signings they’re players who are going to have an impact and have value past the end of this season. Don’t need someone blocking pathways for the academy players.

CB the only position I’d say we desperately need, I wouldn’t be disappointed if we just got a CB in and used the second half of the season to give academy players opportunities. If one or two of them could find a place in the team that would be massive for us in the long term.

Will be a frustrating window if the right player’s available, someone like Liam Moore at Reading, and we can’t chase them but we’ve got to take our medicine.

43 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

That bloke from Blackpool. Gnandouillet

He's bang average, only ever played at league 1 at the highest and even Blackpool fans dont rate him massively.

Would much rather see us bring through Jahmal Hector-Ingram 

57 minutes ago, Reverend said:

Would love to see Jarrod Bowen from Hull here. He's only 22 and out of contract at end of season. Don't think he's on massive wages. Can play on right wing and scores for fun. I wonder if a cheeky bid and playing with Rooney could tempt him? 

Not  a chance Bowen is on the radar of lots of premier league clubs if he becomes available.

Archived