January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

As someone who watches Aberdeen a few times a season and got rubbished when i was praising Graeme Shinnie and moaning about his lack of starts well he hasn't turned out too bad. Now, if we want a decent left back i suggest Cocu takes a look at Greg Leigh,aged 25 and currently on loan at Aberdeen from Dutch club NAC Breda. Well thought of by Dons fans who rate him higher than Max Lowe. I think he came through the Man City academy, well worth a look at in my opinion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

As someone who watches Aberdeen a few times a season and got rubbished when i was praising Graeme Shinnie and moaning about his lack of starts well he hasn't turned out too bad. Now, if we want a decent left back i suggest Cocu takes a look at Greg Leigh,aged 25 and currently on loan at Aberdeen from Dutch club NAC Breda. Well thought of by Dons fans who rate him higher than Max Lowe. I think he came through the Man City academy, well worth a look at in my opinion

Hmm,, Maybe. But do we really need another left back?

We have Lowe, Malone, Buchanan.

We would just be blocking the path for Buchanan really.

Our priorities should be a new keeper, centre back, winger (or two) and a new midfielder(attacking minded/box to box)...

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Hmm,, Maybe. But do we really need another left back?

We have Lowe, Malone, Buchanan.

We would just be blocking the path for Buchanan really.

Our priorities should be a new keeper, centre back, winger (or two) and a new midfielder(attacking minded/box to box)...

Most likely the LB is the last position we need strengthening. Two perfectly capable players there already when most of the areas don't even have a one.

This season we started off with 2 established first team players in every position backed up by the U23s*, and I imagine that's how Cocu wants to keep things in the future.
GK: Roos, Hamer, Mitchell
RB: Bogle, Wisdom, Bateman
CB: Keogh, Davies
CB: Clarke, Forsyth
LB: Malone, Lowe, Buchanan
CM: Huddlestone, Bielik, Bird
CM: Holmes, Dowell, Knight
CM: Shinnie, Evans, Sibley
RW: Jozefzoon, Bennett, Whittaker
LW: Lawrence, Paterson, Mitchell-Lawson
CF: Waghorn, Marriott, Martin

*CB and CF the exceptions

Given Paterson seems to be leaving in Jan, then a CB and a winger will be the top priorities (loan or permanent) and probably the only signings we will make. With Rooney joining, midfield will be well stocked.

At the end of the season, we're currently set to lose: Hamer, Davies, Clarke. Forsyth. Huddlestone, Dowell, Anya (excluded from the list above), Bennett and Martin. I wouldn't be surprised to see any/all of Davies, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Bennett and Martin getting extensions.
It's probably hoped that the youth players (current 3rd choice options) will be able to step up to replace some of these. Bird, Sibley and Knight look to have very good chances of this by replacing Huddlestone and Dowell. Whittaker and/or JML will be hoping to at least be second choice wingers.

Over the next two windows I think we'll sign 1 GK, 2 CBs, 1 winger, and possibly 1 CF. If the possibility to sign one of these players crops up in January, we'll take it.

Morning

Ive just looked through transfermarkets list of players who's contracts are expiring in the summer.  Some of these names would be exciting additions (on loan or otherwise)

Hart

Kodjia

Ibe

Brady

Hector

Ruddy

Van Der Hoorn

MacDonald 

Van Ginkel

I noticed that we also have a few players who's contracts are set to expire,  I'm therefore presuming that there will be more changes in the summer?

On 27/11/2019 at 11:10, atherstoneram said:

What're your thoughts on Sam Cosgrove?

Targets I feel are achievable and would improve the team - 

Hart - Experience, would come in with something to prove and would be the best in the championship. 

Van de Hoorn - Brilliant defender plays really well out from the back, watched him against us last season he was quality (also out of contract in the summer)

Jordan Ibe  - Another one with something to prove, did really well at Derby for 6 months, career hasn't taken off in the prem, however would make be a much needed winger. 

Scott Sinclair - Quality in the championship, would be an improvement on our current wingers, would prefer a more youthfull winger but if we get him in on loan first as a 'try before you buy' it wouldn't be too much of a risk. 

Vydra - Apparently available, would like to see him on loan here again. 

Billy Gilmour - Send Dowell or Patto back and I'd like to see this kid at Derby. 

Angel Gomes/Chong - Couple of Utd youth players who could benefit from a loan move. (Very unlikely but if Utd sign a striker in Jan then Greenwood might be given the opportunity to go out on loan for 6 months to build some confidence). 

3 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Targets I feel are achievable and would improve the team - 

Hart - Experience, would come in with something to prove and would be the best in the championship. 

Van de Hoorn - Brilliant defender plays really well out from the back, watched him against us last season he was quality (also out of contract in the summer)

Jordan Ibe  - Another one with something to prove, did really well at Derby for 6 months, career hasn't taken off in the prem, however would make be a much needed winger. 

Scott Sinclair - Quality in the championship, would be an improvement on our current wingers, would prefer a more youthfull winger but if we get him in on loan first as a 'try before you buy' it wouldn't be too much of a risk. 

Vydra - Apparently available, would like to see him on loan here again. 

Billy Gilmour - Send Dowell or Patto back and I'd like to see this kid at Derby. 

Angel Gomes/Chong - Couple of Utd youth players who could benefit from a loan move. (Very unlikely but if Utd sign a striker in Jan then Greenwood might be given the opportunity to go out on loan for 6 months to build some confidence). 

You may need to check the loan rules for this league

39 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

As much as I would like him, I'm not sure Swansea would sell us their Captain. Why would he come here? Probably on good whack already as he signed for them in the Prem.

Plus, don't Swansea have the option of triggering an extension?

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

As much as I would like him, I'm not sure Swansea would sell us their Captain. Why would he come here? Probably on good whack already as he signed for them in the Prem.

They triggered the extension at the end of last season. I don’t think they can do it again. 

51 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They triggered the extension at the end of last season. I don’t think they can do it again. 

Correct they triggered it last season, we are currently no where near falling foul on of FFP and why might he come here...? If you asked prior to Lampard, Cole, Cocu and Wazza you may have a point however this is Mel Morris’s Derby county and we sign who we like! 

7 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Correct they triggered it last season, we are currently no where near falling foul on of FFP and why might he come here...? If you asked prior to Lampard, Cole, Cocu and Wazza you may have a point however this is Mel Morris’s Derby county and we sign who we like! 

Why would he leave Swansea when they’re currently in a better position to get promoted than us?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why would he leave Swansea when they’re currently in a better position to get promoted than us?

We are also talking about January... a lot can happen in between. But come on you can’t be telling me it’s not plausible for him to come to us? 

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I'd really like to see Vydra back but he'd have to play as a number 10 and we have a lot vying for that role, or as a second striker, already...

Swap for Lawrence? 

i would.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Swap for Lawrence? 

i would.

Yeah, although Lawrence has certainly improved now that he's finally being played centrally.

We don't yet know where Rooney will play.

There's also the question of whether we will play with two strikers and a number 10 (as I'd like just to get Marriott in the team alongside Martin) if the long term plan is to go with wingers.

Archived