January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam Cosgrove just scored for Aberdeen from 25 yards with his wrong foot.  I know he's been suggested by others so thought it noteworthy.  6'2", 22 years old and 17 goals so far this season.  Watching it on the telebox and it's the first time I've seen him play, but he's physical, good in the air and has good positional awareness.  Undecided on his first touch though, at times very good and others more Conor Salmon.

Considering our geographically limited recruitment and links to Aberdeen I wouldn't be surprised at this one.

Ps Best part of the game was discovering St Johnstone play 'Dancing Queen' over the p.a. when they score ? 

The squad could definitely do with some trimming. If you include Rooney, we have a squad of 32 first-team players, which includes 8 players who primarily feature for the Academy.

If we are not looking to move on Mitchell/Ravas, Dowell, Paterson, Jozefzoon and Anya, you would have to question why not.

Dowell has offered very little thus far and his place could easily be taken by Knight, Sibley, or Bird and all for the better in terms of their development. Paterson, Jozefzoon and Anya are all decent players and give the squad some depth, but personally I would rather have one really good player in that position than three decent ones. I also think the club has to make a decision on Mitchell or Ravas and who they see as the next one on the conveyor belt.

Where to strengthen either in January or the summer? A centre back, a central midfielder, and a genuinely good winger and I think everyone would be happy. A centre back is the big priority. Keogh has left a big void in the squad.

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

A centre back is the big priority. Keogh has left a big void in the squad

Did he though? Are we going to get in a CB who'll displace Davies or Fozzy? In January?

At CB we have:

Davies, Fozzy, Evans, Beilik, Wisdom, Buchanan... and Clarke to return. Maybe even Hudds if we get desperate.

Surely that'll do us till the summer?

I'd spend the CB budget on wingers.

9 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Did he though? Are we going to get in a CB who'll displace Davies or Fozzy? In January?

At CB we have:

Davies, Fozzy, Evans, Beilik, Wisdom, Buchanan... and Clarke to return. Maybe even Hudds if we get desperate.

Surely that'll do us till the summer?

I'd spend the CB budget on wingers.

Don't we want players to make a position their own?

It's great to have the option of those players filling in at centre back if necessary, but I'd rather have a natural centre back playing at centre back personally.

Forsyth and Wisdom are primarily full backs, Bielik looks better in midfield, Evans seems to be viewed as primarily a midfielder too and Buchanan has only played at left back for the first team.

With Clarke out injured, that leaves us with Davies as our only natural and genuine centre back. Davies will be 35 in March.

I see what you are saying. We could probably cope until the summer, but personally I wouldn't leave it to chance. It only takes one or two more injuries and we'd be struggling to put out a back four.

3 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Sam Cosgrove just scored for Aberdeen from 25 yards with his wrong foot.  I know he's been suggested by others so thought it noteworthy.  6'2", 22 years old and 17 goals so far this season.  Watching it on the telebox and it's the first time I've seen him play, but he's physical, good in the air and has good positional awareness.  Undecided on his first touch though, at times very good and others more Conor Salmon.

Considering our geographically limited recruitment and links to Aberdeen I wouldn't be surprised at this one.

Ps Best part of the game was discovering St Johnstone play 'Dancing Queen' over the p.a. when they score ? 

Forced myself to watch some of it....quality laughable at times. Cosgrove looks a League 2 striker to me. Feared for Bryson after that red card tackle he was on the end of........then watched some of the women's football instead before the Manure game started....

He’s a bit like Jayden stockley. 

Strong, old fashioned no9, lacks a bit of pace and subtlety but provides a strong physical presence. 23 soon.

He’s under contract for a couple of seasons yet.

i can understand why we would be looking with Martin and waghorn both @ 30, and not much coming through in that position. He seems to be quite a long way ahead of trialist (aged 21).

not the finished article, but a decent prospect. 

Big money GK signing, Butland ideal.

Rooney to come in and play the attacking midfield/second striker. Shinnie and Bielek behind him.

Young good CB loan signing, Tomori like.

Perm/loan signing for the winger, a Jordan Ibe.

You would make my Christmas and I would be happy

Edit: Zoon, Anya, Mitchell, Dowell all out

Personally I don’t think we’ll see much in the way of Jan transfers. Cocu’s whole philosophy is long term and Jan is a terrible time to buy players with inflated fees. I can see Dowell maybe having his loan cancelled and us getting another loan instead but that’s about it. 

On 24/11/2019 at 19:44, Jimbo Ram said:

Forced myself to watch some of it....quality laughable at times. Cosgrove looks a League 2 striker to me. Feared for Bryson after that red card tackle he was on the end of........then watched some of the women's football instead before the Manure game started....

On 24/11/2019 at 16:36, Will Hughes Hair said:

Considering our geographically limited recruitment and links to Aberdeen I wouldn't be surprised at this

For those who watch Scottish football, how did Scott McKenna get on ? He was highly thought of last season, I think, and he has been linked with a move away - may have had a transfer request turned down.  £7m has been reported in the press, but can't see Aberdeen getting that much (record sale is £1.7m)

Left footed CB, 6'3,  23 yo, ticks a few boxes - but i haven't seen him much.

6 hours ago, U.M. said:

For those who watch Scottish football, how did Scott McKenna get on ? He was highly thought of last season, I think, and he has been linked with a move away - may have had a transfer request turned down.  £7m has been reported in the press, but can't see Aberdeen getting that much (record sale is £1.7m)

Left footed CB, 6'3,  23 yo, ticks a few boxes - but i haven't seen him much.

From memory St Johnstone didn't offer enough going forward to make a definitive decision on any of the Aberdeen defenders although it was perhaps the left back who caught my eye (but this may have been due to Lowe playing there last year and some form of conformational bias).

I also noticed Considine (the #4) but that may also be down to his namesake Paddy from Burton. 

Archived