Our Summer Business

Day

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DerpyDane said:

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I would have much rather taken a proper Wilson replacement over Rooney. Its 20 goals a season we haven't replaced and I can't see who's gonna fill those boots. Could be a major blow for us this season, and apart from the commercial benefits I dont see Rooney being a big asset for us really. Had a feeling the Rooney deal would potentially be at the cost of other signings. 

Rooney has been averaging a goal or assist per game, I think that should do quite nicely.

In reality this window in my opinion has been good, the task of replacing a manager and three key players must have been a daunting task.

Do I think we’ve done it, in essence probably 9 out of 10, could we have expected more!

No probably not so it’s a yes from me in that it’s been a good window considering what we were up against.

Doesn't the club usually say so when the business is done on deadline day? I need them to hurry up with that; I need closure!

Just now, Topram said:

Steve Nicholson has said it’s done 

I'm sure it's done; but I'll need some vaguely reliable to say so for closure. SN isn't that.

Six signings. We have attempted to replace Tomori, Mount, Wilson Johnson, Bryson and Carson and we have made a good crack at it given the time scale. Top six at Xmas then bulldoze through to promotion with Rooney and other signings. Would be nice and it is possible if no major injuries. If Paterson is playing well he will go at Xmas as counterproductive for Brizzie.

Excellent window potentially.

1) keep our assets, move on those not involved.

2) Strengthen spine

3) dont block the opportunities for young players.

I think all of these have been achieved. The squad is sensible and the young players can be picked to play, but the pressure is off, giving them a more realistic opportunity to transition into the first team slowly. 

Very underwhelmed by Paterson. Rather just have an academy prospect in his place, rather Zoon just get his head down and play. Not bothered about goalkeeper, just a backup but rather have just kept Carson? I trust roos to be number 1, looked solid on Monday. He's come on a lot since January. Other than that I'm happy. Clarke looks calm and reliable at the back, dowell should be able to create something, Bielik appears to be a very exciting young player and slots right into our midfield and Rooney, well his career speaks for itself.

Window started excellently, Bielik, Clarke and Dowell look like strong acquisitions. 

Rooney was just ridiculous in every sense of the word, unbelievable for a club like us to sign a genuine megastar, but we now take all of the jealousy, stigma and attention with it, not to mention the fact he can’t even play for us until Jan and what if he gets injured in that period? For me the risk slightly outweighs the reward. it was a global media circus both positively and negatively. 

I genuinely believe Rooneys financial package has stopped us from signing our additional no1 targets. Paterson and Hamer dont fill me with the wow factor, especially with them signing at the 11th hour and the other excellent players that have strengthened our rivals 

2 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Window started excellently, Bielik, Clarke and Dowell look like strong acquisitions. 

Rooney was just ridiculous in every sense of the word, unbelievable for a club like us to sign a genuine megastar, but we now take all of the jealousy, stigma and attention with it, not to mention the fact he can’t even play for us until Jan and what if he gets injured in that period? For me the risk slightly outweighs the reward. it was a global media circus both positively and negatively. 

I genuinely believe Rooneys financial package has stopped us from signing our additional no1 targets. Paterson and Hamer dont fill me with the wow factor, especially with them signing at the 11th hour and the other excellent players that have strengthened our rivals 

Your bottom paragraph hits the nail on the head i think, but I can see the reasoning behind what they've done I suppose ?‍♂️

Yep rooney signing a failure if we dont go up this season or the next 

His signing as stopped us getting a top winger like murphy, or ibe ect 

Big gamble.. could well pay off if Jozefzoon or paterson take to the mantle

CM- we were never really gonna sign anyone after signing dowell, shinnie and beilik

We really need dowell to perform and evans to be the player johnson was for our midfield balance to succeed

If we'd signed Paterson and Hamer two days ago and today unveiled Rooney I think the general mood would be very different, much more upbeat.

It 's a bit like having a meal in reverse order, starting with a gorgeous desert and finishing with a plate of lettuce.

Overall I think we've done ok, my only regret is that Wayne can only start in January.

12 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Yep rooney signing a failure if we dont go up this season or the next 

His signing as stopped us getting a top winger like murphy, or ibe ect 

Big gamble.. could well pay off if Jozefzoon or paterson take to the mantle

CM- we were never really gonna sign anyone after signing dowell, shinnie and beilik

We really need dowell to perform and evans to be the player johnson was for our midfield balance to succeed

Commercially Rooney signing has got to go down as a masterstroke 

His debut will no doubt be a sell out attendance

TV and media money will skyrocket around the fa Cup 3rd round time, paving some room in ffp for next seasons budget to strengthen, along with shirt sales, program sales as we're ALL no doubt gonna buy memorabilia of it

And, let's be honest, he's still pretty handy on the pitch and plays his heart out every game

35 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Do you know what Rooneys package is? Do you know by how much Red32 have upped the sponorship?Do you know what our number 1 targets where?Do you know what the club have planned for when the window reopens in January surely by then PC will have i much better idea what you really need.

Archived