Our Summer Business

Day

Just watching Sky Sports News and looking at Twitter it reeks of desperation through Sky Sports generated hysteria. 

With just 4 hours left of the window, looking at the business we have done, the squad we have, I honestly think it’s been a fairly successful window for the club even if the window closed now and we go with what we have.

Perfect window? No, but successful with the acquisitions of Shinnie, Clarke, Dowell, Bielik and Rooney.

Take 5 minutes and look around other clubs and show me clubs which have had a perfect window, how many have squad with no areas you would say need strengthening?

How about the title favourites Leeds United having lost Jansson, Clarke, Roofe, Siaz, Peacock-Farrell, what have they replaced them with? Their squad is thinner than my hair now and they are left fighting for the scraps with a few hours to go.

Right wing, I get it, if we don’t bring one in you would say it’s possibly the weakest area in the team but we do have options in Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Bennett, Holmes plus the academy lads knocking at the door.

One of the main criticisms of the club over the years has been wasting money, Butterfield and Johnson both deadline day purchases, £10m+ that walked out the door for free last month, I wouldn’t want to see the club desperately chucking money on a last minute purchase that we later regret because an agent chucks a player at us with an hour of the window to go.

The window reopens in 4 months which will allow Cocu and the scouts time to address the position and identify a list of targets, hopefully across a wider area than we have in previous years, let’s not forget Cocu has only been at the club just over a month himself.

Season will not be won or lost over the next 4 months.

Finally, anyone that has any concerns over this team, go back and rewatch the first half against Huddersfield and tell me that wasn’t some of the best football we have played?

Close the window now and let’s get the football going. 

(Watch us go break our transfer record and sign a winger now)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

Season will not be won or lost over the next 4 months.

Great post. Agreed with everything else but this quoted part. Season won't be won this year, but it definitely could be lost.

Agree, we have gone for quality over quantity where every player that has been signed (Shinnie question mark? Has been signed to be a starter

regarding the season not being won in the next 4 months, I thought Forest win it in 2 and Leeds 3! 

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Great post. Agreed with everything else but this quoted part. Season won't be won this year, but it definitely could be lost.

26 games would see us into January and played the New Year’s Day game against Barnsley.

After 26 games last year Aston Villa were 10th in the table, 5pts off the top 6 and we all know how the season ended. 

They are not the only examples of clubs that have gone on great runs in the second half of the season. 

1 minute ago, David said:

26 games would see us into January and played the New Year’s Day game against Barnsley.

After 26 games last year Aston Villa were 10th in the table, 5pts off the top 6 and we all know how the season ended. 

They are not the only examples of clubs that have gone on great runs in the second half of the season. 

I wouldn't say Aston Villa had lost it lasst year as they we're manager short of great team. But make that difference 20-30 points and playoffs most likely would be too much to ask., even with current manager in charge. 

Agree on the right wing part, we've got a load of options and also we can always adjust the formation we play to have two strikers and a diamond like we did successfully last season meaning we won't need a winger.

You can tell Cocu is looking at the right wing though, explains why Morgan Whitaker got a load of play time down that flank during pre-season. Seems like he's not quite ready yet.

20 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Fulham were flirting around bottom half to relegation until they signed mitrovic in the 17/18 season

14 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I wouldn't say Aston Villa had lost it lasst year as they we're manager short of great team. But make that difference 20-30 points and playoffs most likely would be too much to ask., even with current manager in charge. 

20-30pts off the top 6 on January 2nd would be in the bottom 3. 

Last season we were in 6th on 43pts, Bolton in 22nd on 22pts, Reading 23rd on 20pts and Ipswich 15th on 15pts.

29 minutes ago, David said:

Finally, anyone that has any concerns over this team, go back and rewatch the first half against Huddersfield and tell me that wasn’t some of the best football we have played?

This all over - And that side didn't even contain our record signing

I was a little worried that we'd be creatively stunted vs last season but actually Cocu has them playing as a team like I haven't seen in ages - Fluid moves and obviously first time short passes are the style he likes

I'd be a little nervous still if we lost Lawrence for a few games - So would like to see a creative backup/competition for him

36 minutes ago, David said:

Even in the second half, the commentators described us as "steely". When was the last time you had heard a Derby County side as "steely"?!

Just now, David said:

20-30pts off the top 6 on January 2nd would be in the bottom 3. 

Last season we were in 6th on 43pts, Bolton in 22nd on 22pts, Reading 23rd on 20pts and Ipswich 15th on 15pts.

Fair to say their season was lost at the start of year then, right? 

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Yes., neither they had  lost the season as they we're not far enough.

I can with all confidence say that we will not have lost the season by Christmas. You can be 10-15 points away from the top 6 on game 23 and with a strong run still finish in either playoffs or automatics. Fulham were 12 points behind us on match day 23 and managed to finish 13 points ahead... they recouped 25 points on us in 23 games. The only way you could conceivably lose the season in the first half of the season based on that is if we loose the next 22 games... and even then we could still finish on 72 points...  Season is won is won between Febuary and May, as a Derby fan you should be very aware of this ?

7 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Of course it CAN be lost, but I'm clearly talking about our squad and our business, not the likes of Ipswich who you could see would struggle with the squad they had. 

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I believe their ambitions were to stay in the league and they lacked a lot of quality, we my friend have Wayne Rooney...

I genuinely think if we acquire a right winger today that this is the strongest squad we've had in a long time. Both in terms of ability and how suited they are to the style of play. 

If I'm being greedy I'd add a new keeper and maybe another midfielder but I genuinely think our squad is well equipped going into the season.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Of course it CAN be lost, but I'm clearly talking about our squad and our business, not the likes of Ipswich who you could see would struggle with the squad they had. 

Chance is extremely small but for example when Sunderland was relegated to Championship, they we're among the favorites to up rather than continue straight to League 1.

Anything can happen, chances are just small.

Just now, brady1993 said:

I genuinely think if we acquire a right winger today that it is the strongest squad we've had in a long term. Both in terms of ability and how suited they are to the style of play. 

If I'm being greedy I'd add a new keeper and maybe another midfielder but I genuinely think our squad is well equipped going into the season.

Maybe a bit light in midfield too, but I agree. We've addressed some of our main weaknesses in the holding mid, LCB positions, we look like we will be solid in the spine of the team. Would like someone else to in the 3 in the midfield alongside Dowell and Bielik though.

If we get to the end of the day and Carson is gone then I think our keeper options are worse regardless of people's preference. That said I expect someone to come in.

Clarke is a solid addition, and keeps our defence at a similar level to last year. Different but similar.

Not sure about Shinnie, obviously he wasn't Cocu's signing, but I don't think he really fits. Hence the need to still bring in Bielik.

I'm not sure we've replaced Mount, and what he brought to the side, and it looks like we're relying on a mix of Dowell and Lawrence to replace Wilson's goals.

Strikers are fine but they still risk being isolated, and a bit more threat from the right would be good.

So the team doesn't change too dramatically, although I maintain last season's was better on paper.

In a way it says something that the positives of the past few months are getting rid of rather than signing players, bringing in a proven manager who is exciting partly because he's foreign, and the agreement to sign an aging footballer in 5 months time.

Don't take those as bad things necessarily, I know they are only the start of a long term plan, but short of adding Bielik for a fairly daft fee, and keeping Bogle (it's okay I touched wood) have we really made any progress with regards to our future and what we want to achieve?   

The transfer window in general is a joke, whether it shuts today, first of September or later, there seems to be a total last minute frenzy, worse this year than ever, even by very big teams that really should be planning better.  I don't think enough emphasis is put on how what happens in top leagues affects ours, and we're made to flap because of their decisions. This runs right through to the Chelsea/Lampard procrastination.

Nothing wrong with the old system of having it open through until March. things seemed a lot more dignified and there was far less stockpiling of players just in case.

Maybe I digressed, but above all else I stand by what I said after the Rooney news, this is the most exciting time to be a fan since the start of 96/97, that first premier league season and signing Asanovic who had just dazzled at the Euros. UTR, DTID etc etc

Archived