Our Summer Business

David

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We did and he was an excellent signing, if with fitness concerns- key thing is, all our major business was done by deadline day last season, we were just after competition for places. That’s the position you what to be in on deadline day, not how we were this season needed one or two major signings. Of course our window may turn out to be a success if we do well this season obviously, but you can’t help but feel towards the end it hasn’t gone quite to plan for whatever reason. Quite why we don’t know, I’m sure they’ll be some that’ll argue we were distracted by the Rooney business, which is possibly why it went to the wire which left us in this position, but you can equally argue other clubs may have messed us around. Quite possible that Bournemouth said we could have ibe if we waited but then pulled the plug.

In all fairness, I actually quite rate Paterson even if he was a backup option. He’s not spectacular and I’d have preferred some if the other options, but I think he sorts that right wing position out even if he is a little underwhelming. My greatest concern right now is that we didn’t get a CM like Hendrick in to partner dowell. Until January when Rooney comes in, we only really have the currently injured and injury prone Holmes to play alongside side him, and the untested knight. Much as I rate Holmes and Knight looks good, that’s a risky position to be in. Also have to hope to god Roos doesn’t get injured, cause hamer has always stuck in my mind as a woeful goalie whenever I’ve seen him.

The problem seems to me that you are part of the new ‘I want it all and I want it now’ generation, and that transfer deadline day is the equivalent of 25 December where there is a huge expectation of some beautifully gift wrapped surprises.  That is not to knock you personally, as I say I think this is a generational phenomena.

We might not have got everybody who Cocu/the club wanted, but that was never likely to be possible given our financial constraints, the need to offload, other clubs not wanting to sell/loan players we wanted, or if they were it being dependent on other transactions coming to a fruition.

Shinee, Dowell, Clarke, Bielik and Paterson all have great potential, and join the club with a lot to prove. They will be hungry for success, and a first team position, and in my opinion have potentially a lot to offer. Hamer might be a bit left field, but he was good at Charlton, and is likely to be second choice. I think we have to back Given with regard to Roos and how he might continue to develop over the next 12 months. And then we have Rooney due to join us in January and give us a push on.

There was much excitement last year with Mount, Tomori and Wilson signed up but ultimately they didn’t get us up, and we didn’t keep any of them for a second season and some other clubs are benefitting from their development. Not great deals if you look at it in the cold light of day. Hopefully one or two of Sibley, Knight, Lowe, Buchanan or Bird will make their mark this year - that clearly is one of the club’s major objectives.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived