Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

5 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

I think since we started playing out from the back he has been awful. Its not his strength. Admit he has not played much recently but for example in his pre season friendly showings his pass rate had been quite poor. 

Not convinced buy this, his pass completion rate is actually fairly decent in recent years. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/8484/History/Curtis-Davies

Not a huge fan of stats as they don't always tell the whole picture, but as you mention his pass rate it was 77.9% in his first season here and was 88.4% last season albeit with a handful of apps.

Looking a little deeper his record is actually ok for CB and he's only dipped under 75% twice in 8 seasons. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Not convinced buy this, his pass completion rate is actually fairly decent in recent years. 

Not a huge fan of stats as they don't always tell the whole picture, but as you mention his pass rate it was 77.9% in his first season here and was 88.4% last season albeit with a handful of apps.

Looking a little deeper his record is actually ok for CB and he's only dipped under 75% twice in 8 seasons. 

It's not the completion rate that matters, it's how quickly he moves the ball on.  The whole point of passing the ball (in the style of football we want to play anyway) is to move the opposition players out of position.  If the centre halves (or any player really) are holding on to it for too long, the opposition can get back into position and you lose all momentum.  If it goes into the back 4, it needs to back out again 2 or 3 touches later. Davies takes far too long to get set and find a pass IMO, even if he does eventually end up completing most of his passes.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

It's not the completion rate that matters, it's how quickly he moves the ball on.  The whole point of passing the ball (in the style of football we want to play anyway) is to move the opposition players out of position.  If the centre halves (or any player really) are holding on to it for too long, the opposition can get back into position and you lose all momentum.  If it goes into the back 4, it needs to back out again 2 or 3 touches later. Davies takes far too long to get set and find a pass IMO, even if he does eventually end up completing most of his passes.

To be fair I did say, "they don't always tell the whole picture". The poster mentioned pass rate, which are the stats I used to compare. 

I didn’t think the fee Brighton paid was as low as £3.5m. It’s a shame we weren’t in for him permanently at that price.

We would’ve obviously been able to offer first team football and I’d say our wages for a first-teamer would exceed that of a Brighton back-up/fringe player, Premier League club or not.

No doubt if he has a good season here he could be sold on by Brighton for £10m or more given the current market. 

Bristol City signed Adam Webster for an initial £3.5mil last summer and now he’s linked to £25m moves to the Premier League. Plus Clarke is nearly two years younger than Webster and only played 30 fewer career games. He definitely would’ve been an asset we could’ve made a lot from.

7 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I am thick so probably reading this wrong. But does that say he won nearly all of his aerial duels? Bloody impressive if true.

I think it says that he was in the elite category for most of the listed attributes in comparison to all other league 1 defenders.

4 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Thats just stats. You can pass a ball five yards sideways to a full back or better passing centre half all day long and get decent stats. 

Our football requires far more than that. You need to be almost as good as a midfielder. 

Derby TO SIGN CLARKE

Derby are expected to complete the season-long loan signing of defender Matt Clarke from Brighton, according to Sky sources.

Clarke joined Brighton from Portsmouth earlier this summer for an initial £3.5m but Graham Potter is allowing the centre-back to continue his development in the Championship.

*From Sky Sports

Archived