Have your views of Morris changed?

oldtimeram

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes. Still not sure if I can trust him 100%, but I’ve definitely been moving closer to that point in the last couple of years.

I would love his job one day.

Funny that. I hear one of his ambitions is to knock one out in the Leppings Lane End bogs.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes. Still not sure if I can trust him 100%, but I’ve definitely been moving closer to that point in the last couple of years.

Worse job in the world. 

It would cost you a fortune, you'll probably never succeed, the people who once adored you will almost certainly end up loathing you eventually, your love of Derby would probably be replaced by at best indifference, at worst deep regret, and whatever you do will never be enough.

20 years after your ownership, the odd person on a forum will say on reflection you didn't do a bad job all things considered.

Yet, I'd do it tomorrow if I had the opportunity!

I really don't understand anyone who isn't delighted that he owns the club, especially after the last year. Yes he had a tricky start, made some mistakes,  but he has made great decisions over the last 24 months. We seem in a strong position, on the up and with plenty to look forward to. We have also just appointed a manager who has actually won cups and titles, ex Barcelona for Ducks sake!!! We should be loving it! I for one cant wait for the season to start!! Mel, keep it up! Great job! 

By the way, my biggest concern with DCFC is Mel selling up, I really like the idea of what he is trying to achieve and want to see him succeed.

I think some fans have forgotten the days of the three amigos and what nearly happened.

So yes, my thoughts have changed, I think his leadership of DCFC is improving rapidly and the direction of the club is great...

Long may it continue 

Can’t say they have for me, I always though he had the best intentions at heart for both him and the club and he has delivered in quite a few areas for example the academy.

For me though I still think he is a good businessman who has made a lot of bad decisions at the club and on the field we were in a better position before he took over compared to now. As others have also said I also feel he is economical with the truth when it suits him, he is great at PR and his handling of the ground sale and contract extensions for me was badly handled.

Will be interesting to see what direction he now takes the club, he seems to change his philosophy quite often, maybe now he his more  “hands on” this won’t be the case going forward.

Easy to be critical of course in hindsight, and hopefully he will go down in history as the best Derby chairman, time will tell.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd love to be Forest's chairman. It'd be a riot.

I'd hire nigel pearson but only allow loans of slow fragile no10s who don't like hard running.

I'd make the season tickets £100 each and reduce the budget accordingly.

Rename the stands after news legends for a new era, the kris commons end, the Lee Camp stand, and so on.

I'd improve the catering facilities by having 1 pie and a bloodbowl survivle of the fattest for it half time entertainment.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Worse job in the world. 

It would cost you a fortune, you'll probably never succeed, the people who once adored you will almost certainly end up loathing you eventually, your love of Derby would probably be replaced by at best indifference, at worst deep regret, and whatever you do will never be enough.

20 years after your ownership, the odd person on a forum will say on reflection you didn't do a bad job all things considered.

Yet, I'd do it tomorrow if I had the opportunity!

Trying to think of an owner who’s universally loved by the fans is quite hard to be fair. Andy Holt at Accrington? Not sure what Forest Green fans think of Dale Vince. Steve Gibson until the last year or two? 

The owner of your club is not the same as a manager or a player. If you don't like your owner, you can't sack him and request a new one. If you have a bad one, it could mean the end of your club entirely.

Look at the likes of Coventry and know that it could be far far worse.

You have someone that cares about the club on a personal level, not just on a business level. Not always made the right decisions, but he's made choices with the best of intentions.

Also, he's more or less done what fans have asked him, whether or not that's a good thing is another question.

"Spend some money!!" Okay, here's a new squad of players.

"We're spending money on flops". Okay, we'll start cutting down and signing loan players.

"We need an enforcer of a manager who gets stuck into players!" Okay, here's Nigel Pearson

"Why did we hire Pearson! That's not the Derby way! We've gone backwards!" Okay, here's Steve McClaren back.

"Get rid of Mac, Rowett is long overdue for the job!" Okay, here's Gary Rowett.

"If Rowett is so stuck on Stoke, let him go and bring in a young manager who plays attacking football". Sure thing, here's Frank Lampard.

"If Lampard is going to Chelsea, we need to get a manager here for the long term who plays similar football". Correct. Here's Phillip Cocu.

I mean really. What would any of you have done differently at the time?

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Trying to think of an owner who’s universally loved by the fans is quite hard to be fair. Andy Holt at Accrington? Not sure what Forest Green fans think of Dale Vince. Steve Gibson until the last year or two? 

Impossible job really, yet we'd all love to do it. 

Mel's done better than ok overall, but daft as it sounds he's not rich enough to carry the burden alone.

I once read an article that theorised an owner would need to spend a minimum of 10% of their total wealth to achieve whatever counted as success in football, I reckon Mel spent more than that just buying the club, nevermind the investment that has followed! 

He's often called it unsustainable, and I can see why. 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Also, he's more or less done what fans have asked him, whether or not that's a good thing is another question.

"Spend some money!!" Okay, here's a new squad of players.

"We're spending money on flops". Okay, we'll start cutting down and signing loan players.

"We need an enforcer of a manager who gets stuck into players!" Okay, here's Nigel Pearson

"Why did we hire Pearson! That's not the Derby way! We've gone backwards!" Okay, here's Steve McClaren back.

"Get rid of Mac, Rowett is long overdue for the job!" Okay, here's Gary Rowett.

"If Rowett is so stuck on Stoke, let him go and bring in a young manager who plays attacking football". Sure thing, here's Frank Lampard.

"If Lampard is going to Chelsea, we need to get a manager here for the long term who plays similar football". Correct. Here's Phillip Cocu.

I mean really. What would any of you have done differently at the time?

Not have hired Pearson or Rowett because both were completely the opposite of what he said we wanted to do as a club.

Other than that absolutely nothing different. A lot of signings were poorly thought out but it should not be a chairman judging that.

Perhaps he should have overhauled the recruitment department following the Paul Clement fiasco.

I like Mel, unlike owners at other clubs he genuinely cares about Derby and the fans. His intentions have always been good and decisions have improved a lot recently. Hats off to him for getting cocu. The only problem is the lack of money and I don't blame him for that because he can't keep pumping cash in endlessly as it's unsustainable. Don't want him to sell up but if we're not promoted soon he may need some help.

The next week or so is vital in terms of what I think of him. I just want a competitive squad. Not expecting fulham or even forest like signings splashing the cash around but would like to go into the season thinking "Our squad can come top 6 here"

I still cringe when I recall him coining the phrase the Derby Way which, in hindsight, he probably regrets inventing now.

I have no doubt that he has always had the club's best interests at heart but some of the tough learnings he's had to endure really shouldn't have been sanctioned in the first place, hiring and firing of managers in particular.

Drone incident with Lego head served to underline a control trait/wanting to meddle in managerial affairs, likewise the reports of him storming the dressing room after a match to give the players a piece of his mind.

Poor PR when he failed to mention the sale of the ground during a fans forum meeting then trotted it out a few days later.

Am sure that there are worse owners in the league but his stewardship to date lingers of what might have been......

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I like Mel, unlike owners at other clubs he genuinely cares about Derby and the fans. His intentions have always been good and decisions have improved a lot recently. Hats off to him for getting cocu. The only problem is the lack of money and I don't blame him for that because he can't keep pumping cash in endlessly as it's unsustainable. Don't want him to sell up but if we're not promoted soon he may need some help.

I'm always interested when I see comments like this to hear what people know about other clubs owners, specifically Championship clubs.

I'll be honest and admit other than the Fulham, Boro and Forest owners I dont think I could name any others and I have no idea how much they care about their fans.

Liked Mel’s appointment because I perceived him one of us(Derby fan through and through). Got carried away with him spunking cash, whether he was backing Managers or not, it was in hindsight, not the best policy.

Thought he lost the plot sacking Mac2, now admire his boldness appointing Frank who, as for Cocu, that could be a real coup but remains to be seen.

Think he’s learned on the job, he’s still one of us and yes I’m starting to give him more credit for his shrewder decisions of late; making up for a few hastier ones in his early tenure.

Top bloke Mel, puts his money on the line, gonads up front and deserves a bit more respect, which he’s slowly getting.    

(Still worries me Simon Jordan appears to like him so much ??)

no still like him - and looks like he is still trying (working hard) on getting the best for DCFC - brought in a top coach

if he pulls off a couple of mint signings and a loan in the next 48 hours - we again will have a squad to compete

thats all we can ask for. So difficult to balance books and get up from the Championship

Sometimes all the good community stuff, and the work he does for the club goes missing in some peoples mind

A top fella - see you in the Griffin at Brentford in a few weeks

Archived