Have your views of Morris changed?

oldtimeram

I know that several posters (myself included) have given MM some stick over the years for various things such as firing managers, perhaps a bit prematurely, interfering with team. matters etc. 

However, he does seem to have leant a few harsh lessons in owning and controlling a football club. 

If you have been a critic of Morris have your views changed? 

Personally, for me the jury is still out, but I must admit that he did come across well during the Lampard saga and I believe he may have won quite a few folk over (Angry Ram excepted of course lol) 

Sanctioning a few good signings before the start of the season would help improve his standing even more in my opinion. 

I guess the guy is like Marmite...... 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a funny dilemma with Mel.

I know he has the club at heart and everything he does is for the interest of the club but i cant help think that the Mel we see isn't the same Mel who is running the club.

Just my opinion. On radio/TV he sounds calm and in control but i don think hes like that away from the cameras for some reason.

Cant knock him with the amount hes done for the club and money hes spent. Hopefully this manager repays Mel and gets us up. Some investment wouldn't go a miss either.

Certainly cannot knock his effort and commitment.

Lead his heart rule his head early doors but has adapted over time and now appears to want to run the club like a real business instead of a toy.

At first I thought he was open and honest with the fans but I no longer really take much notice of what he says. This is down to the fact that I think he just says what the fans want to hear. There has been no correlation over what he has said about what he wants from the club and what has happened. Also found the sale of the ground not being disclosed while banging the drum about FFP issues very disingenuous to say the least.

Like what he has done behind the scenes and he is obviously a very kind man, I just think the best chairmen are the ones that you do not hear anything about whereas MM on too many occasions has played out our day to day affairs in public.

17 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

However, he does seem to have leant a few harsh lessons in owning and controlling a football club. ...

Sanctioning a few good signings before the start of the season would help improve his standing even more in my opinion.  

Mel's lessons learnt, but still chequebook out?! ?

He's definitely learnt some lessons, but too little too late? Or perhaps, just in time!? #COYR

We are stable, or at least appear so.  Sooner have MM running the show.

Regarding this season, not expecting promotion, would love a top 6 finish, could live with a top 10 finish and would be very concerned if we failed to get in the top half.

Has MM got it right all of the time?  No he hasn't, and I expect he would admit it, however he does his best to fix it.  He is looking for additional investment, as I suspect that having a wealth of £500m isn't enough to deliver.

He's grown and matured in the role, from a good intent and the money but not the experience leading to Clement's changing room dressing down and sack the Mac, sack the mac pt2-escape from hair island, iffy transfer clauses and do on to actually stable and looking after the club.

We don't sign anyone and finish 14th sticking with Cocu and young players I'll be more impressed than if we spend £15m in the next few days.

Tbh I think people have always been a little harsh with him over certain things, and my views on his haven’t really changed. The headline for me is, he’s an owner who’s come in, allowed budgets to the max within FFP, and he’s targeted taking us to the next level (The prem) within his tenure. That’s pretty much all you can expect and want from an owner individually imo. Think people are a little harsh to criticise him for his sacking of managers- most of them were fairly justified/ necessary for the club to progress imo. Think bringing into question his appointment of managers is perhaps more fair, but these won’t be decisions he’s made alone, the likes of Rush will have been involved, so to lay all the blame at MMs door is a little harsh imo.

Thats not to say there’s not things you can criticise him for. The whole drone thing, whether true or not, seemed to make us look poor in the media. I also think there seems to have been a bit of mismanaging of finances that forced us to sell the stadium, which reflects poorly on Mel, though again I believe part of the blame for that can be layed at the door of people MM trusted, rather than MM himself.

So no, I don’t think my opinion of him has changed. I believe he is an owner who’s heart is in the right place and wants the very best for the club, and for that he has my support and always has done. He’s made some mistakes, but many of those were down to trusting the wrong people rather than any huge fault on mels behalf. I just think people have been overly harsh on him in the past really. The only thing that’s really changed imo is the way he presents himself in the media, all the interviews he’s done recently have reflected well on him and on the club, which can only be a good thing. Perhaps that’s helped change people’s views.

It goes without saying that he has learned things over the years.

The question was - have our opinions changed?

In my case, it's a resounding NO!

- - - - - - - - - -

I think:

- He feels our pain (before and after becoming Chairman).

- He is striving to secure sustainable top-flight football for the club and the city (well beyond his days as our Chairman).

- His philanthropic use of the fruits of his endeavours (his candy, if you like) is crushing it!

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

found the sale of the ground not being disclosed while banging the drum about FFP issues very disingenuous to say the least.

Totally agree on that. The story broke only a day or two after a forum.

very disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

I never once question his intentions but his decisions were bloody awful from day 1.

He's certainly improved since getting Rowett in and here's hoping it continues.

His improvement? Or the fact he got Rowett in?

You do realise that Rowett has gone don't you?  ?

Archived