Pre Season Friendly v Burton Albion (A)

EnigmaRam
Message added by Day

Starting XI: Waghorn clinical, Dowell classy, Huddlestone and Evans decent. Still think people are being extremely premature by categorising Evans as a centre back though. Last season, he had one good game there and an indifferent time in midfield, but it shouldn't write him off from being a midfielder.

Sub XI: Lowe and Anya decent.

Was a little pissed off when the players just walked off after the game, but someone must have given them a shout as they all ran back out and clapped the fans. I stayed behind for a bit after the game and, backing up what @MuespachRam said, Keogh was a class act, spending ages talking to fans after the game. All in all, a good day and a great reintroduction to football after a bit of time off. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Watched the game on Rams Tv, I like how our players are moving into space off the ball a lot more. A lot of positives to take from the game, The team looked fit and ready to go, all of them looked interested. Not many negatives other than burton got behind our back line quite abit. I thought Dowell and Evans looked good, Huddlestone ran the game and looked half a yard quicker. Sibley and knight will make it here, I have high hopes for Sibley especially. I don't get why previous managers haven't picked Anya, he looked excellent when he came on. I can't wait for the season to start, we are two or three players off a top 6 squad imo.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Starting XI: Waghorn clinical, Dowell classy, Huddlestone and Evans decent. Still think people are being extremely premature by categorising Evans as a centre back though. Last season, he had one good game there and an indifferent time in midfield, but it shouldn't write him off from being a midfielder.

Sub XI: Lowe and Anya decent.

Was a little pissed off when the players just walked off after the game, but someone must have given them a shout as they all ran back out and clapped the fans. I stayed behind for a bit after the game and, backing up what @MuespachRam said, Keogh was a class act, spending ages talking to fans after the game. All in all, a good day and a great reintroduction to football after a bit of time off. 

Evans had two good games at CB last season, both away from home under the highest pressure.

On top of the season he spent being one of Readings CB's in a season they made the play off final, I'd say that's enough evidence to call him a centre half rather than a midfielder.

1 minute ago, lukedcfc said:

I Watched the game on Rams Tv, I like how our players are moving into space off the ball a lot more. A lot of positives to take from the game, The team looked fit and ready to go, all of them looked interested. Not many negatives other than burton got behind our back line quite abit. I thought Dowell and Evans looked good, Huddlestone ran the game and looked half a yard quicker. Sibley and knight will make it here, I have high hopes for Sibley especially. I don't get why previous managers haven't picked Anya, he looked excellent when he came on. I can't wait for the season to start, we are two or three players off a top 6 squad imo.

All good to hear, yep a tomori to compliment Keogh and Davies would be very handy and a wilson to put the ball in the net when no one else can would be excellent and yes competition for places is excellent 

4 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Evans had two good games at CB last season, both away from home under the highest pressure.

On top of the season he spent being one of Readings CB's in a season they made the play off final, I'd say that's enough evidence to call him a centre half rather than a midfielder.

Emergency maybe but he looks nothing like an actual CH to me and relying on him would be a major mistake for a season of championship football 

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I reckon if you put Tomori and Mount in that side we’d take some beating.

We dont need Mount, we have Dowell and Holmes. We do need Tomori though, Burton got behind us on the Tomori side quite abit. His pace would make sure that doesn't happen, as often. We need him back. 

3 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

We dont need Mount, we have Dowell and Holmes. We do need Tomori though, Burton got behind us on the Tomori side quite abit. His pace would make sure that doesn't happen, as often. We need him back. 

I forgot about Holmes.

If we’re talking 2 or 3 more prem loans it’s going to be interesting who we go after.

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Missed the game - anyone going to do a player rating / match report thingy for us half-fans please? Be great to know who shone and how the nippers got on. Cheers.

Player ratings a little pointless in these type of games but...

Roos’ distribution was very good, but a little shaky other than that

Defensively we got hit a few times having lost the ball in awkward places, with huddlestone’s lack of mobility leaving gaping holes and little protection. Still work to do here. 

Going forward, we built from the back in all manner of situations. Bogle a threat and Evans having some lovely balls forward in particular. 

Dowell was silky smooth with his first touch and consistently moved with the ball into the space afforded which was positive. He also got his toe in to tackle and intercept multiple times. 

Huddlestone, for his woes defensively, pulled strings with the ball. 

Things look very fluid with lots of interchange. Bennett was a threat and popped up all over the place. 

Jozefzoon looked much better, in my opinion, being afforded the time and faith he didn’t get last year. Always difficult coming on and needing to make an impact which meant forcing things which don’t come off. He let the game come to him and was more involved with the team with simple passes, which I liked. 

Waghorn grabbed a nice hat trick and should’ve scored a 1 on 1 before he did. Always good to see pre season form like that. 

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Missed the game - anyone going to do a player rating / match report thingy for us half-fans please? Be great to know who shone and how the nippers got on. Cheers.

You need RamsTV , 86. Smoking. Reverse on Thursday. The non starters will start and get 70 more mins. Dowell excellent. Hudds, Wags very good indeed. Roos slightly iffy. Malone and Bogle had good games. Zoon and Evans looked like new signings Keogh as per usual. Lawrence quite good, going have to give more to stay in the side. Bennett plenty of energy. Lots of good passing. Youngsters looked like they mean business big time. Knight looks like next breakthrough but a lot of class in their ranks. 70 mins each at Pride Park will show them that they are being taken seriously by Cocu. Flashes from Martin and Anya. They need to play well on Thursday. Cocu has a great footballing brain.

35 minutes ago, sage said:

Because we will play better teams than Burton?

Of course we will but Evans looked pretty decent in the couple of games he stepped in at CB last season. I remember the game at Bristol City. Like many others I suspect, my heart sank when Tomori went off injured early on to be replaced by Evans only for Evans to do a pretty good job.

Controversial maybe but, I wouldn't be too alarmed to see him start at CB next season based on the games I've seen him play in that position.

Really enjoyed that game. I thought Evans, Zoon and Dowell had excellent games.

young lads all did well enough. Knight looks to be a good prospect and looking forward to seeing Sibley get more game time. 

Hopefully Marriott, Holmes and Shinnie will be fit enough to get some minutes on Thursday against Girona  

19 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Emergency maybe but he looks nothing like an actual CH to me and relying on him would be a major mistake for a season of championship football 

As you'd expect, I don't agree. 

Dealt comfortably with the ball behind, defended well and played numerous decent balls forward.

Certainly played the role better than Curtis Davies has shown so far, and has shown he's a decent alternative.

Yes I'd pick Tomori ahead of him, but I'd put him ahead if our current options.

30 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Yep Bristol away, we all thought we were dead and buried when Tomori went off...

Archived