Pre Season Friendly v Burton Albion (A)

EnigmaRam
Message added by Day

He’s  been rash in decision making before Wembley and got away with it, remember one of his first games when he came charging out to the touchline made a lunging tackle but thankfully got the ball. Extremely lucky to get away with it.

Hes proved himself to be a decent keeper  last season, by no means the worst in the championship but he isn’t a top 6 keeper and against Scott Carson he should always be a number 2! Good cover but not first choice and if for some reason we don’t want Carson then a new keeper will become top priority 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, lukedcfc said:

Roos biggest weakness is collecting crosses, that's most goalkeepers strongest point.

Really?

as has already been pointed out in here, Poom was the last keeper we had that was any good at it. Keepers good at crosses are rare as rocking horse poo in 2019. 

25 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He needs to shave it ASAP.  He's just refusing to accept reality at this point.

He must be cursing all those years he wasted with the Amish bowl cut. You don't appreciate what you have until it's taken from you.

9 minutes ago, JfR said:

Just me that thinks the bigger issue here is that we've allowed John Brayford to take an unchallenged shot with his foot from within our 6 yard box? 

Not just that, but the entire team were sat ball watching. Despite Roos juggling the ball, if everyone stuck to their man we probably wouldn’t have conceded. Malone must have looked at Medusa in the stand the instant Brayford touched the ball - he didn’t move again until the ball hit the net. Dowell (who was meant to mark the eventual goal scorer) did similar

That second-leg against Leeds must seem a long way away now.

He was immense in that game. And as I've said before, keepers tend to hit their prime when they pass 30. Roos has still got the potential to get better, despite being 27.

Could of done better for that goal today but he didn't really do anything else wrong, did he? Though he didn't have a lot to do.

I really worry that the Wembley incident will cause him problems this season. Both in his game, and with fans.

Hopefully it won't, but we'll see. 

Would I be worried to see us start the season with him in goal? Absolutely not. Keepers are confidence players. If he has the game of his life against Huddersfield, we'll all suddenly go back to backing him. 

I also think that although Roo s has improved I personally don't think he is good enough of we are to make a serious challenge.

A good back up but that's it for me.

If we can't have the Carson back of a couple of seasons ago then I also think it should be a top priority to bring in a quality keeper.

One who has presence and confidence and wants to dominate his area and take pressure off of the defence at times.

Indeed they are a rare breed but think we would be a better team for acquiring someone in that mould and of that character. 

On 20/07/2019 at 19:52, MACKWORTHRAM said:
Not sure what's worse about this. The bit where he palms it up into the air or the bit where rather than catching it on the way back down he just pushes it into a massive group of players 2 yards from goal. 

This bloke isn't and never will be a Championship goalkeeper. No command of his penalty area whatsoever, doesn't come for crosses. 

He could cost us so many goals this season.

Criticism of Roos' command of his area is fine, but I don't see what he can do about this goal. His reaction time is nothing on the initial shot. I agree he should try to hold on to the rebound, but I think he opted to push it away because it's over the line already and holding onto it would make that obvious to the officials.

49 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I said it long before Wembley that he's not good enough. It doesn't matter if it's pre season or not. Said it last season that as soon as Carson was fit he should have come back in.

I know we'll get fans saying "RoOs iS tHe ScApEgOaT nOw iNsTeAd oF kEoGh" 

Yeah, everyone with a different opinion is clearly stupid!

8 minutes ago, David said:

Not a centre back? 

Keogh, Davies and Evans. 

Davies isn't the most comfortable on the ball, if we plan on bringing it out the back then another CB in the Tomori mould for me would be the top of the list. 

Then I would be looking the the middle of the pitch, next a wide forward and possibly cover at right back before looking at a keeper.

Like Davies, Carson isn't the most comfortable on the ball, playing out from the back Carson can't be your number 1. 

I'd play Evans over Davies, although I'd love Tomori back if possible.

Not my first priority.

Middle of the pitch I think is ok, Shinnie wasn't involved today, Hudds did well, I don't see improving here would gain as many points as improving the goalkeeper.

Wide forwards we have plenty of, even if it's they're second position we are well catered for imo.

Right back cover could be necessary, if you don't think Wisdom is adequate cover, but I wouldn't prioritise it over a keeper if I was manager.

Roos is simply not good enough to hang your hat on as a number one.

59 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I said it long before Wembley that he's not good enough. It doesn't matter if it's pre season or not. Said it last season that as soon as Carson was fit he should have come back in.

I know we'll get fans saying "RoOs iS tHe ScApEgOaT nOw iNsTeAd oF kEoGh" 

He's 27 years old and he's made a total of 72 appearances in the last 6 years. There's a reason for that. 

Oh yes, Carson who cost us more points than Roos last season should have come back in? 

Probably because fans do unreasonably scapegoat players based off one mistake. I've seen the amount of time Keogh was scapegoated for baalocks reasons for long after Wembley. 

That's a fairly weak point, because a lot of players come into it a lot later, particularly goal keepers.

54 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Nonsense. He made a reaction save on the line then tried to push away the ball. No flapping.

The ball bounced off him more than one time today. As MackworthRam said there is a reason why he’s never held down a Championship keepers spot at 27. This over emphasis on the need for the keeper to play out from the back, when half the time they only pass it along ‘the line’ is to the teams detriment. Roos is an average keeper.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

This over emphasis on the need for the keeper to play out from the back, when half the time they only pass it along ‘the line’ is to the teams detriment.

That's a load of nonsense. The emphasis on keepers being comfortable on the ball with the feet is because it makes such a huge difference. Which is why Pep paid so much for Ederson, Klopp on Alisson etc. Being a keeper is so much more than being able to stop shots. A keeper with good distribution can save a team a lot of time per game, whereas a keeper like Carson will dither around with it, boot it out of play etc, a keeper with good ability with their feet can pass as well as any other player on the team. 

The days of a keeper's job being only about stopping shots is gone. 

16 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, everyone with a different opinion is clearly stupid!

Where have I said that?

What I'm saying is if someone is not good enough and they make mistakes and you criticize them it all gets the same response "Oh he's taking over Keogh now as the scapegoat"

I've never criticized Keogh after Wembley. He slipped. Slipping doesn't make him a bad defender. It wasn't his fault. The ball should never have got to him. The only time I've said we should get rid of Keogh is mainly cos I think he's cursed and destined not to go up with us ?. I hope im wrong.

Roos error at Wembley was catastrophic. But before that in the season he's made mistakes. Like I said 27 years old, played under how many managers here? Never been picked as number one..

27 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

My prediction is that Roos will not be in goal for all of our season

If I’m wrong, we will conceded at least 80 goals in 46 games. 

So, by your reckoning, if we have Roos for the whole season in goal, we will instantly have a worse defence than ipswich and bolton, the two worst teams in the division last year? Ok then.

Archived