Pre Season Friendly v Burton Albion (A)

EnigmaRam
Message added by Day

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

This is over the top. He wasn't great today, but it was a preseason friendly. The narrative around Roos changed dramatically after Wembley, up until then he had done very little wrong. He definitely should come for crosses, but not a Championship keeper? 

I said it long before Wembley that he's not good enough. It doesn't matter if it's pre season or not. Said it last season that as soon as Carson was fit he should have come back in.

I know we'll get fans saying "RoOs iS tHe ScApEgOaT nOw iNsTeAd oF kEoGh" 

He's 27 years old and he's made a total of 72 appearances in the last 6 years. There's a reason for that. 

48 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Really hoping George Evans can kick on this season. Tipped him as the one to watch last year and still think he might turn out to be a proper bargain buy.

That's what they are about signings and not loans. The second season is where they show their worth and come good. I expect Holmes to to do very well along with Waghorn, Marriott and Bennett. Obviously last season wasn't Mason's first. But it's the first real shot he's had and Waghorn and Marriott had good seasons, but those two should both be aiming to get into the top 5 goalscorers for this league, this season. 

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m sorry guys but I think I’m right here:Played in the middle in the Play Off games too.

Again, he’s been good whenever he’s played at CB. I’m just not a fan of the idea that ‘he’s not a midfielder’ when he quite clearly has been a key midfielder in a successful side in the past.

I've clearly lost the plot!! SUre my Reading mates said he played at CH so they clearly weren't paying attention!

5 minutes ago, David said:

Lawrence has yet to make a costly mistake at Wembley

I don't think some of the criticism Roos is getting is purely due to Wembley. He was flapping all over the place for the Burton goal today and has also looked suspect from crosses during his run in the team at times. I think they are fair enough criticisms, especially when he is looking to establish himself as our number one keeper.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I don't think some of the criticism Roos is getting is purely due to Wembley. He was flapping all over the place for the Burton goal today and has also looked suspect from crosses during his run in the team at times. I think they are fair enough criticisms, especially when he is looking to establish himself as our number one keeper.

Nonsense. He made a reaction save on the line then tried to push away the ball. No flapping.

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I just don't recall as many questions over his ability pre Wembley, could be wrong, if I remember correctly many wanted him to be given a new deal.

New contracts do not give players immunity from criticism, but does feel like he is under the microscope following the mistake at Wembley. His "flap" was just as bad as the sitters we missed at the other end today and whilst in the US. 

Think we can analysis performances a little to deeply at times during pre season when they are just friendlies, not the time to get on his back.

Keepers just like any players on the pitch make mistakes, unfortunately when they do they are more costly being the last line of defence.

Is he a perfect keeper? Of course not, he has his strengths and weaknesses just like Carson, fix his weaknesses and you have a Premier League keeper on your hands that will be sold in the next transfer window.

Could we get better? Probably, but when you look at the squad the keeper position wouldn't be near the top of the list of concerns. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

I just don't recall as many questions over his ability pre Wembley, could be wrong, if I remember correctly many wanted him to be given a new deal.

New contracts do not give players immunity from criticism, but does feel like he is under the microscope following the mistake at Wembley. His "flap" was just as bad as the sitters we missed at the other end today and whilst in the US. 

Think we can analysis performances a little to deeply at times during pre season when they are just friendlies, not the time to get on his back.

Keepers just like any players on the pitch make mistakes, unfortunately when they do they are more costly being the last line of defence.

Is he a perfect keeper? Of course not, he has his strengths and weaknesses just like Carson, fix his weaknesses and you have a Premier League keeper on your hands that will be sold in the next transfer window.

Could we get better? Probably, but when you look at the squad the keeper position wouldn't be near the top of the list of concerns. 

I really don't agree.

If we're not entering the new season with Carson as Number 1 for whatever reason, then it would be my first signing if I was manager.

Roos is a decent keeper.  You can tell he hasn't had many games as a goalkeeper, doesn't look too sure in his decision making half the time. I said in a previous thread he seems to always be looking to perform the Hollywood save rather than the safest one.

If we aren't keeping Carson we do need a new keeper because Roos needs some competition to push him to become better. Mitchell doesn't look like he's going to be offering that.

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

I really don't agree.

If we're not entering the new season with Carson as Number 1 for whatever reason, then it would be my first signing if I was manager.

Not a centre back? 

Keogh, Davies and Evans. 

Davies isn't the most comfortable on the ball, if we plan on bringing it out the back then another CB in the Tomori mould for me would be the top of the list. 

Then I would be looking the the middle of the pitch, next a wide forward and possibly cover at right back before looking at a keeper.

Like Davies, Carson isn't the most comfortable on the ball, playing out from the back Carson can't be your number 1. 

On 20/07/2019 at 19:52, MACKWORTHRAM said:
Not sure what's worse about this. The bit where he palms it up into the air or the bit where rather than catching it on the way back down he just pushes it into a massive group of players 2 yards from goal. 

This bloke isn't and never will be a Championship goalkeeper. No command of his penalty area whatsoever, doesn't come for crosses. 

He could cost us so many goals this season.

Just me that thinks the bigger issue here is that we've allowed John Brayford to take an unchallenged shot with his foot from within our 6 yard box? 

20 minutes ago, leamram said:

John Brayfords hair was too distracting to concentrate on the highlights video

All those years following Nigel round like his lap dog have taken it’s toll on the hair line, bless him. 

Archived