433 - what's your current team?

Andrew3000

5 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Didn't Johnson (along with Butterfield and Blackman) sign one year extensions on less money at the start of 2018/19, though? In that case Johnson would have been on less that 35k right? At least I hope the guy wasn't pulling that much AFTER a wage reduction.no

None of them have signed that deal with any view to staying and being on that amount of money. 

Butterfield is training with Blackburn now. We've done it for FFP purposes. So it's not like they've signed it to take a big pay cut to stay here 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Roos

Bogle Keogh Davies Malone 

Holmes Shinnie Huddlestone

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence

I expect the side to be very different to this come August 

This is out strongest team right now and the best balance of our current squad . But as sdsr says it will look a lot different before the start of the season.  

We don't no what style/ mix of midfielders Cocu will like. From looking at his PSV teams and the little knowledge I have of the Dutch game . Doesn't seem to deploy an enforcer in the defensive midfield role more of an all rounder who can play a bit alongside to more attack minded central midfielders . 

Regarding the front three i see Waghorn being used more centrally due to his all round ability probably more rotated with Marriott than played with him . For me 

New GK

Bogle.       Keogh.         New CB.     Malone ? 

New Cm.    Shinnie.   New Cm 

Holmes.       Waghorn.    Lawrence 

5 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

This is out strongest team right now and the best balance of our current squad . But as sdsr says it will look a lot different before the start of the season.  

We don't no what style/ mix of midfielders Cocu will like. From looking at his PSV teams and the little knowledge I have of the Dutch game . Doesn't seem to deploy an enforcer in the defensive midfield role more of an all rounder who can play a bit alongside to more attack minded central midfielders . 

Regarding the front three i see Waghorn being used more centrally due to his all round ability probably more rotated with Marriott than played with him . For me 

New GK

Bogle.       Keogh.         New CB.     Malone ? 

New Cm.    Shinnie.   New Cm 

Holmes.       Waghorn.    Lawrence 

Would like better wing options to be honest. For me Holmes is better in the middle similarly with Lawrence. 

2 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Are we making the most of our current squad if we play 4-3-3? 

We arn't blessed with great wingers and I'd love to see Waghorn & Marriott in the same XI (without Waghorn being shoved on the wing).

I guess that’s the system Cocu likes to play so if we haven’t got the required players available in the squad he will look elsewhere.

we all know we need at least 1 CB and a couple of Midfielders and if he doesn’t think we have the strength on the Wings he will look to get someone in that’s capable of playing that position to his tactics

Carson

Bogle   Keogh     Davies    Forsyth

Thorne/Evans/Huddz#

Holmes                     Shinnie

Lawrence

Waghorn              Marriott

#I would be looking for a new holding midfielder but in the absence of one Cocu needs to make a call from these three.

On 06/07/2019 at 14:09, LittleEatonRam said:

Looking at some of the options for a starting 11 here, I'm surprised to have heard people say Lampard left us in a good position.

The squad does not look good.

If you add in 2 or 3 quality loans, spend the 7 or 8mill compensation on 2 decent players... then you have a decent squad without even dipping further into Mel's coffers... so I would say that is a good position? 

3 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Off topic but has anyone noticed that Marriott isn't in any of the videos or photos of florida??? Seen quite a few people on the videos commenting about it?

Getting a-bit worried about this fact.. maybe he’s pulled something and getting some rehab 

With the three loan players gone plus Bryson, Johnson and Nugent we have lost 6 players who played a considerable number of games under Lampard. Curtis Davis is back fit and we should have Waghorn and Marriott able to start the season fit (which should help as Nugent had to play as the lone striker initially). However the squad is thin and we need additions. I wonder whether he will involve Max Lowe in the first team and lose a full back. Additionally the goal keeping situation isn't clear with nobody staking a firm claim.I wonder whether Cocu can get anything out of them?

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:09, LittleEatonRam said:

Looking at some of the options for a starting 11 here, I'm surprised to have heard people say Lampard left us in a good position.

The squad does not look good.

I'd disagree - the squad looks leaner than it has done for 4/5 years & I think we're better for it. We've already replaced Johnson with Shinnie - the key question for me is to what extent the youth players feature in the first team squad. Last year, virtually no-one on this forum would have called Jayden Bogle a first choice RB in waiting - Lampard called it early & a year later, we have a very sought after asset & a much better RB than Wisdom (who we spent £2m on). I'd be uncomfortable if we made 4/5 permanent signings unless there were significant outgoings also.

The only areas of the squad that look light are centre-half and midfield. On the first, I suspect that Evans will see more action at CB than he ever will sitting in front of the back 4 - Cocu comes from a footballing culture where midfielders are often utilised as defenders (i.e. Mascherano) and Evans' best attributes (good in the air and good anticipation) for me, makes CB a much better fit than midfield where he often lacks the physicality and passing accuracy to make a positive impact. I do definitely see one more signing at CB though.

We do have Shinnie, Holmes and Huddlestone as decent midfield options currently - plus Lawrence if Cocu decides he'd like him playing centrally(which I personally think is a better position for him & curbs some of his selfishness). This is where I'd really like to see Sibley/Bird/Knight seeing plenty of game time - like Bogle, we may need to show patience but I don't know how they're going to develop if we buy 2 ready made midfielders to slot straight into the first team XI.

Up top - Marriott and Waghorn are as good as any striker at this level with Bennett a decent option, who can also play on the right side. Left side might be a problem if Lawrence moves centrally & Cocu's relationship with Jozefzoon is as bad as we fear. It would good for Mitchell-Lawson to see plenty of game time also.

The unknowns here are a) the physical condition of Thorne and Martin and to what extent they could be useful b) what loan players we could attract - I suspect we won't struggle for young Prem players wanting to move here. In short, I don't think we're in that bad shape.

The two centre halves are experienced but slow. A younger Tomori like centrehalf would help. A replacement for Nugent would help-hopefully a more mobile goalscorer, and repacements for Mount and Wilson too. It would also helpif Cocu could get more out of Widsom. His form has gone backwards.

Archived