Sign in to follow this  
Andrew3000

433 - what's your current team?

24 minutes ago, Hanny said:

Not sure I understand folks desire to get Wags and Jack on the pitch at the same time(I understand it for every once in a while), but not as a base formation. 

Having (at least) two strikers of quality you can switch out during the season is the only way to have consistently good form up top. Nothing wrong with having them switch games; both starting some, both coming on as sub. 

I think the desire is there because Jack is a terrier, a finisher and a handful but isn't a holder of the ball needs a ready foil to get the best from him, ...  now that could be either a powerful AM or a strike partner but he needs close support, well I think he does 🙃

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I am Waggy's biggest fan but Marriott is the best finisher that we have had since Bobby Davison. Put simply, he has to be in there.

Agree with the sentiment but better than Saunders?

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I think the desire is there because Jack is a terrier, a finisher and a handful but isn't a holder of the ball needs a ready foil to get the best from him, ...  now that could be either a powerful AM or a strike partner but he needs close support, well I think he does 🙃

That’s fair. I guess, I see that change coming from the team as a whole when Jacks on Vs Wags. 

As in, Unless we have two identical strikers; the creativity, attack, build up will shift to whom ever it suits best at that time on the pitch. As opposed to; sub one hold up striker for another- rinse repeat build up.  

Perhaps I’m asking too much of the team as a collective 🙂 

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

England internationals, long contacts, they'll be on big money.

England internationals is a bit strong. Neither of them nowhere near the England team and highly unlikely to get in it again.

Get your point that they are on big money. Buy Johnson was on 35k a week here and there's no way he'll be on anywhere near that at Blackburn. Players will take pay cuts to move on if they want to play. 

If we're assuming that it will be a 4-3-3, that everyone is fit and playing to their best form.

Then my team would be

Carson

Bogle       Keogh       Davies       Forsyth

Holmes           Thorne               Shinnie

Jozefzoon        Marriott             Lawrence

Personally I'd like to see us play something like this, a solid midfield that allows our fullbacks to get forward, giving us width when we attack.

Carson

Bogle   Keogh     Davies    Forsyth

Thorne               Evans

Shinnie

Lawrence

Waghorn        Marriott

46 minutes ago, Hanny said:

Not sure I understand folks desire to get Wags and Jack on the pitch at the same time(I understand it for every once in a while), but not as a base formation. 

Having (at least) two strikers of quality you can switch out during the season is the only way to have consistently good form up top. Nothing wrong with having them switch games; both starting some, both coming on as sub. 

image.jpeg.41ecbefa042b324cb79fcea0b17aafcb.jpeg

Here's a clue.....

35 minutes ago, Hanny said:

That’s fair. I guess, I see that change coming from the team as a whole when Jacks on Vs Wags. 

As in, Unless we have two identical strikers; the creativity, attack, build up will shift to whom ever it suits best at that time on the pitch. As opposed to; sub one hold up striker for another- rinse repeat build up.  

Perhaps I’m asking too much of the team as a collective 🙂 

I think you've got a point. You'd expect the team to adapt to the chosen striker, guess that's part of the managers job although from a personal perspective I like strikers in pairs ( but I am a just a teensy bit old fashioned 😂)

46 minutes ago, RamNut said:

image.jpeg.41ecbefa042b324cb79fcea0b17aafcb.jpeg

Here's a clue.....

20 minutes ago, jono said:

I think you've got a point. You'd expect the team to adapt to the chosen striker, guess that's part of the managers job although from a personal perspective I like strikers in pairs ( but I am a just a teensy bit old fashioned 😂)

I think that's it. It comes down to preferred tactics. I personally prefer wingers to either cross or cut in along with a midfield bombing forward to provide that partnership , as opposed to a set two striker partnership.  Hard to argue with the Clough years 🙂. I just don't much enjoy the two striker formations. 

Although...whatever tactics get Rams over the line...I will be happy:)

coyr

1 hour ago, Shang said:

I've read somewhere that Cocu's 433 isn't a traditional 433 as he doesn't have a "defensive midfielder". He has all 3 midfielders attack and defend as a unit rather than have specific roles for different players.

Might as-well send Thorne and Hudds home now then as they ain’t mobile enough for that type of game

2 hours ago, Hanny said:

I think that's it. It comes down to preferred tactics. I personally prefer wingers to either cross or cut in along with a midfield bombing forward to provide that partnership , as opposed to a set two striker partnership.  Hard to argue with the Clough years 🙂. I just don't much enjoy the two striker formations. 

Although...whatever tactics get Rams over the line...I will be happy:)

coyr

Got my serious head on .. I really know little about tactics but the style of play is the single most important thing for me. If you don't play with flair, adventure and cherish on the ball skill vision and panache then whats the point 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

Got my serious head on .. I really know little about tactics but the style of play is the single most important thing for me. If you don't play with flair, adventure and cherish on the ball skill vision and panache then whats the point 

Yeah. Tactics (like statistics) can be manipulated. It really does come down to; do you like the visual of play...and does it produce results. Clough and his 442 (among other styles) worked a treat; partly because of talent, partly because Clough was a brilliant Manager. 

If we were to get some guarantee(which is never an actual thing in life) that Cocu (or any Manager) would be like a Clough...a set tactic doesn't matter. Clough was a wonderful tactician (albeit kept simple...which may be the trick), and an amazing man manager. He may have been over the top outspoken, and rubbed some folks the wrong way... but he knew how to squeeze talent out a team. 

Can only hope Cocu can strive for that. 

coyr

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

If we're assuming that it will be a 4-3-3, that everyone is fit and playing to their best form.

Then my team would be

Carson

Bogle       Keogh       Davies       Forsyth

Holmes           Thorne               Shinnie

Jozefzoon        Marriott             Lawrence

Personally I'd like to see us play something like this, a solid midfield that allows our fullbacks to get forward, giving us width when we attack.

Carson

Bogle   Keogh     Davies    Forsyth

Thorne               Evans

Shinnie

Lawrence

Waghorn        Marriott

Thorne? Evans?

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos

Bogle Keogh Davies Lowe

Evans

Shinnie

Holmes

Bennett                     Lawrence

Waghorn

Very long team GofC. Lots of space between spaces to get between them but as likely as any if those players impress in training. I could submit six teams with no real confidence of actually being right. Those who can do what is asked of them will play. Probably some surprise arrivals and omissions or departures. Very very exciting. Let us hope for a decent first six games.

Posted (edited)

Roos

Bogle          Keogh             Davies/Evans             Lowe

Holmes          Shinnie

Lawrence

Waghorny          Marriott             Mitchell-Lawson

Edited by Duwayne
Forgot Max Lowe was alive

I can’t help but feel Thorne is going to shine this pre season. We all know what he’s got, his early form wasn’t a fluke. For whatever reason, it hasn’t happened yet but the lads only 26 and has remained injury free for quite a long time now.

It might be nostalgic/wishful thinking, but i’d love him to stake a claim. At his peak he is Rolls Royce 

Roos

Bogle Keogh Davies Forsyth 

Waghorn Huddlestone Shinnie Lawrence    

Martin Marriott 

possibly our best starting X1 for championship football in various terms - is it likely probably not but Martin would ensure Marriott scores but we have options with our youngsters coming through - would Forsyth be fit enough? Probably not but we have malone and lowe, Waghorn  and Lawrence can easily make it a 3 up front but it wouldn’t be necessary all the time - Huddlestone mobility is a worry but we have youngsters and options still. Options of Holmes Bennett jafoozon give us attacking rotation

can Thorne become a player again - who knows but the one I would most likely replace is Huddlestone if we can improve on him  

12 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Buy Johnson was on 35k a week here and there's no way he'll be on anywhere near that at Blackburn.

Didn't Johnson (along with Butterfield and Blackman) sign one year extensions on less money at the start of 2018/19, though? In that case Johnson would have been on less that 35k right? At least I hope the guy wasn't pulling that much AFTER a wage reduction.