Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

Makes sense with Shay not named with Lampard, Morris & Jones as having time off.  This would be good news if he stays as it provides some continuity and knowledge of the current squad.  I assume he’s been assured of a role with the new team and possibly been given an incentive to stay.

Why is it a good thing - we have a former England keeper and an average Championship keepers was picked before him, supposedly for his ability to play out...

Can't see a new manager not wanting his own 'training staff'.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Twan Scheepers is Welsh for 2 sheep.

Tie them to a lamppost and you've got a Welsh theme park with 2 rides and long queues.

You just can't get the audience can you ?‍♂️

sad joe biden GIF

35 minutes ago, Kernow said:

He won it 3 times in 4 years off the back of Ajax winning it 4 times in a row. The season after he left, Ajax won again.

Its a bit different to going in and winning a one-off title. PSV hadn’t won a title since 2008 so it’s not as if he inherited a squad of Champions. Not only did he win the league but he built the squad to be consistently dominant. I think that’s impressive whatever the league.

To be fair kind of reiterates my point. If it is Cocu I would of course be more than happy to say he was better than I thought he may be .

16 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I genuinely can’t understand the excitement about this either. I will of course support whoever takes over but I think this sudden reverence for Cocu is ridiculous. What does he know about the Championship? Will he be able to manage without being fully funded like he was at PSV? If he was that good why was he sacked from his last job after 4 months? Not at all convinced by this.

It's easy to say that we should go for someone with championship experience, but how many of those managers are available? 

Moore: uninspiring and has done nothing of note. Hardly call him experienced either. 

Hughton: best of the bunch, would probably demand a transfer kitty though, one promotion doesn't make him a great manager unfortunately. 

Monk: got Swansea up and since then seems to have dive bombed his career. 

Look at the promoted teams of the last few years, how many went up with 'experienced championship managers' (checked it myself, its about half had any championship experience whatsoever). 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it a good thing - we have a former England keeper and an average Championship keepers was picked before him, supposedly for his ability to play out...

Contrary to some trains of thought, the GK coach does not pick which GK plays.

They advise on whether or not the players are capable, and who they prefer in different ways, but the decision is always the manager's preference.

I somewhat agree with you on Roos v Carson, not with the same vigor, but it's still definitely a matter that rests on Lampards shoulders.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fair point although I don’t think Scott was in great form at the time.  However I always felt there was a mistake waiting to happen with Kelle.  Unfortunately happened in the biggest game of the season.  I guess we’ll see what happens with Shay

10 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I genuinely can’t understand the excitement about this either. I will of course support whoever takes over but I think this sudden reverence for Cocu is ridiculous. What does he know about the Championship? Will he be able to manage without being fully funded like he was at PSV? If he was that good why was he sacked from his last job after 4 months? Not at all convinced by this.

I dont understand why "knowledge of the championship" is relevant at all. Several international managers have been promoted to the Prem in recent years. Last years champions had a German manager. Bielsa and Lampard neither played nor managed in the Championship before last year. Completely irrelevant to me.

In 14/15 PSV net spend was less than £1 mill. In 15/16 they made a £30 mill profit on player sales after they sold some of the youth players Cocu had helped to develop. In 16/17 they made a profit of £10 million on transfers with £5 mill spent on incoming. In 17/18 they made another profit of £20 mil. 2 years he barely spent anything and then the other 2 he spent money from selling homegrown talent. At least for the first year we can more than compete on spending power.

3 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

It's easy to say that we should go for someone with championship experience, but how many of those managers are available? 

Moore: uninspiring and has done nothing of note. Hardly call him experienced either. 

Hughton: best of the bunch, would probably demand a transfer kitty though, one promotion doesn't make him a great manager unfortunately. 

Look at the promoted teams of the last few years, how many went up with 'experienced championship managers' (checked it myself, its about half had any championship experience whatsoever). 

Hughton has been promoted twice from the Championship with different clubs so to my mind that makes him the best fit for us by a country mile.

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I thought Monk was appointed when Swansea were already in the Prem. Either way he did a pretty good job whilst he was in the Prem.

9 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

Dimmu built up Valakari so much...

Seriously though, if Cocu is the calibre we are looking at then Van Bronckhorst and Tedesco might be options...this is entering fantasy land

Good level of points on Tedesco. Points mean prizes. We must make sure that they are not cloggers. Do Armani do clogs. The incredible kudos of having Lampard and him getting the Chelsea job has made the job interesting to high profile managers we hope. We need to reclaim the land of the Premiership.

I dont really get the excitment either to be honest! Its a big name yes! Im not so fussed about his knowledge of the championship, more the fact he plays defensive minded football! Not free flowing attacking football that goes down well with the fans! 

This is just what ive heard, i havent seen a great deal of games wheres hes managed, so i may be wrong, but early alarms bells are ringing!

if we get him, and were playing defensive football will everyone be happy?

personally, if were winning, im not to fussed, but i know there are those who do mind! And i see there point also!

also i wasnt convinced by frank at first either lol but i did think it was a master stroke by mel, in terms of bringing the spot light on us and getting more games on sky etc! Is he thinking the same here?

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I dont understand why "knowledge of the championship" is relevant at all. Several international managers have been promoted to the Prem in recent years. Last years champions had a German manager. Bielsa and Lampard neither played nor managed in the Championship before last year. Completely irrelevant to me.

In 14/15 PSV net spend was less than £1 mill. In 15/16 they made a £30 mill profit on player sales after they sold some of the youth players Cocu had helped to develop. In 16/17 they made a profit of £10 million on transfers with £5 mill spent on incoming. In 17/18 they made another profit of £20 mil. 2 years he barely spent anything and then the other 2 he spent money from selling homegrown talent. At least for the first year we can more than compete on spending power.

Well I can see from your avatar you have already bought into the Cocu love-in fella! I on the other happen to think that an English manager with a genuine knowledge and pedigree in this league is the way forward. We’ll have to agree to disagree. Let’s hope Cocu isn’t another Frank De Boer at Palace.

4 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Hughton has been promoted twice from the Championship with different clubs so to my mind that makes him the best fit for us by a country mile.

Hughton is 61 I believe, he will have his feet up waiting for the first premier league club to panic and sack the manager to come calling, and have one last pay day before he retires. I doubt he has any interest in coming to Derby.

Phillip Cocu will be Derby County's new trainer and will take along his former PSV assistant Chris van der Weerden and current Young PSV assistant Twan Scheepers. Scheepers announced his retirement at PSV this afternoon. More on the ED site.

from same Dutch Guy SDSR just posted

Archived