Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rob Dorsett‏ @RobDorsettSky

Philip Cocu to be confirmed as new #dcfc in next 24 hours, I understand. He has verbally agreed to the job. Final legal details being completed. Derby wanted a coach who develops young talent -Cocu did that at PSV while winning 3 titles, and earned nearly £100m in player trading.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ibby said:

Rob Dorsett‏ @RobDorsettSky

Philip Cocu to be confirmed as new #dcfc in next 24 hours, I understand. He has verbally agreed to the job. Final legal details being completed. Derby wanted a coach who develops young talent -Cocu did that at PSV while winning 3 titles, and earned nearly £100m in player trading.

How many hours? 24? 

Is he new at this?

31 minutes ago, Archied said:

Cue roy Mac 5

Hey! I only call it as I see it at the time. Was excited by Frankie's appointment and then ...

Am excited by this (potential) appointment even more. Time will tell. #COYR

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

I genuinely can’t understand the excitement about this either. I will of course support whoever takes over but I think this sudden reverence for Cocu is ridiculous. What does he know about the Championship? Will he be able to manage without being fully funded like he was at PSV? If he was that good why was he sacked from his last job after 4 months? Not at all convinced by this.

Bielsa knew nothing either and can’t speak English ...a good coach is a good coach 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

2023 is a 4 year contract... that’s quite long for a manager. Hope we know what we’re doing in that respect, can be quite expensive if we need to sack a manager at some point on that length of deal as well as his coaching staff- unless we have some clause in there.

Possibly more cash for us if he gets poached early a la frank

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

2023 is a 4 year contract... that’s quite long for a manager. Hope we know what we’re doing in that respect, can be quite expensive if we need to sack a manager at some point on that length of deal as well as his coaching staff- unless we have some clause in there.

I thought that, quite a commitment. Maybe Cocu needed that assurance to finalise the deal or Mel is hoping for more compo again!

A glittering playing career, assistant manager of a World Cup finalist, 3 League titles, a track record of bringing through youth and making a net profit on transfers? Good grief Derby. No wonder Mel seemed so chilled on TalkSport the other day - he must have known this was a real possibility.

Noticed a few comments about the relative strength of the Dutch League. No doubt its not the number 1 league in Europe but PSV have won 2 European Cups, Ajax and Feyenoord have another 5 between them and Ajax should have gone back to the final this year too. To have won 3 titles against that competition marks him out as a quality coach, no doubt whatsoever.

The only 'black mark' on Cocu's CV actually gives me more confidence perversely. Reading various reports, it would appear there was something of a backroom revolt by some of the local coaches at Fenerbahce. Bearing in mind how volatile the football culture is over there, that must have made his task nigh on impossible. He's now only 48, with a wealth of experience and most importantly, a point to prove after being so highly rated only a couple of years ago - someone is going to reap the benefits of this guy's talent - I can't believe it may well be us!

Yes he will ultimately be judged on first team results but the thought of him overseeing our young prospects is probably the highlight for me. Its a club culture we need to build & what Morris is correctly looking for - get the foundations right, get the talent in place and the results and success will follow.

Archived