VAR

1of4

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/12/2019 at 08:36, ossieram said:

Change the offside rule and VAR will be worth having.

Change the rule so that there has to be daylight between the players and not just a big toenail being ahead of the defender and it will cut out the moaning.

I've said this myself in the past.

The whole of the ball has to be past/clear of the line, to determine a goal/corner/goalkick/throw in etc.  A corner can be taken unless the whole ball is outside the quadrant.  An offside can only be given in the opponents half... "Not including the half way line" itself.
It makes sense, therefore, for the attacker to be completely beyond the defender to determine off-side.

That's not to say that would make it any easier, when faced with a millimetre or two either way, when the ball is kicked! 

...It might mean everyone tucks in their shirts though!  ?

15 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Again, if you’ve ruled out goals like that before, you’ve gotta to be consistent. Sadly it was all messed up at the very start of the season. Let’s hope they don’t make the same mistakes in the FA cup 

First time I agree with you, bit bored of the complaining about VAR now, it’s broken we all know that, but you can’t just change the rules halfway through the season no matter how ridiculous the decision. 

I would bet the referees are not happy either and despite what the lawmakers are saying they will be in deep discussions now on how to implement it next season.

2 hours ago, David said:

First time I agree with you, bit bored of the complaining about VAR now, it’s broken we all know that, but you can’t just change the rules halfway through the season no matter how ridiculous the decision. 

I would bet the referees are not happy either and despite what the lawmakers are saying they will be in deep discussions now on how to implement it next season.

I’m half suspecting they’ll scrap it... hope not though, a implemented correctly it can be a real positive

22 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m half suspecting they’ll scrap it... hope not though, a implemented correctly it can be a real positive

They won’t, VAR is here to stay, the future will be sensors in players kits, instant decisions. 

Before that I think we will see some kind of margin for error and feet (toes) only used for offside. 

More importantly, they need to speed it up, significantly.

VAR is never going to work in my opinion.

It fundamentally changes the nature of the football watching experience, and in an entirely negative way.   We can no longer celebrate goals joyously anymore, we can only tentatively celebrate potential goals, pending a review.  That's clearly a step in the wrong direction.

All these suggestions about changing the law regarding offside to it no longer just being any part of the body offside, to instead being a whole foot offside or clear daylight between the players isn't going to work either.  You would be just be changing the location of the debate...instead of arguing over whether someone's toenail is offside you'd be arguing about whether there is a sliver of daylight between two players or not. 

If with the use of sensors, the referee could be informed instantly whether a player was offside or not (in the same way they are informed whether the ball has crossed the line or not), then this could work.  Until that sort of technology can be implemented then VAR should be binned entirely in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

VAR is never going to work in my opinion.

It fundamentally changes the nature of the football watching experience, and in an entirely negative way.   We can no longer celebrate goals joyously anymore, we can only tentatively celebrate potential goals, pending a review.  That's clearly a step in the wrong direction.

All these suggestions about changing the law regarding offside to it no longer just being any part of the body offside, to instead being a whole foot offside or clear daylight between the players isn't going to work either.  You would be just be changing the location of the debate...instead of arguing over whether someone's toenail is offside you'd be arguing about whether there is a sliver of daylight between two players or not. 

If with the use of sensors, the referee could be informed instantly whether a player was offside or not (in the same way they are informed whether the ball has crossed the line or not), then this could work.  Until that sort of technology can be implemented then VAR should be binned entirely in my opinion. 

Your 1st full paragraph.

Don't blame VAR, blame the managers, pundits and others who want to win at all costs, who were quite happy laying into referees missing something and blaming their loss etc on them. It’s laid bare their on faults now with regards management and tactics, and shown up certain pundits for what they are, overpaid hypocrites. If anyone should be laid into..... it’s them.

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Your 1st full paragraph.

Don't blame VAR, blame the managers, pundits and others who want to win at all costs, who were quite happy laying into referees missing something and blaming their loss etc on them. It’s laid bare their on faults now with regards management and tactics, and shown up certain pundits for what they are, overpaid hypocrites. If anyone should be laid into..... it’s them.

I'm just saying VAR as it stands is incompatible with football as we know it.  If we can't celebrate goals like we used to, then VAR is damaging football as a spectator sport.  That's down to VAR as it's been implemented at the moment.

Managers,pundits and fans for that matter bear the responsibility for making VAR seem necessary in the first place.  Referees and match officials are always going to make mistakes...they are human and officiating can be very difficult in real time. 

There was so much demand to use technology that nobody stopped to consider what the actual cost would be in terms ruining the spectating experience. 

25 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I'm just saying VAR as it stands is incompatible with football as we know it.  If we can't celebrate goals like we used to, then VAR is damaging football as a spectator sport.  That's down to VAR as it's been implemented at the moment.

Managers,pundits and fans for that matter bear the responsibility for making VAR seem necessary in the first place.  Referees and match officials are always going to make mistakes...they are human and officiating can be very difficult in real time. 

There was so much demand to use technology that nobody stopped to consider what the actual cost would be in terms ruining the spectating experience. 

That last paragraph nailed it in one..... be careful what you wish for seems appropriate.....

For me, I do think it’ll be ironed out in time. Mic refs up will be a start 

Archived