VAR

1of4

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree, they made this happen with the win at all costs mentality for me...... and you’ll still see refs getting abuse and stick . Massive bug bear of mine, blaming officials for not being right all the time 

I think you are both right. Players, ex-players, fans and managers have brought it on themselves with their appalling attitude to referees. The TV people have exploited this situation to ensure their tendrils can weave throughout the very fabric of the game.

The baying mob have exactly what they wanted. Offside decisions? Encroachment at penalties? Dives? Apply the letter of the law. All managers have been asking for is 'consistency', apparently. Now they have it. And it's too late for them to learn to shut the duck up, the moaning twits.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree, they made this happen with the win at all costs mentality for me...... and you’ll still see refs getting abuse and stick . Massive bug bear of mine, blaming officials for not being right all the time 

This does me.  Sometimes i think the role of the 4th official is to get verbally abused by managers and coaches. What other walk of life could you get away with hurling abuse at people if something doesn't go your way?

This gives me an idea for a great tv show (ok probably not great). 

Each week you have a teams of pundits, managers and fans who get to view actual events from football matches from around the world,  they watch a potential foul, penalty,  offside and so on. And have to within 5 seconds decide what the correct refereeing decision is. The trick is they only get to see it once and at proper speed.

Then a proper referee gives the actual outcome and the contestants scored accordingly. 

Would be interesting to see how many of us experts score well in that situation. 

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I think you are both right. Players, ex-players, fans and managers have brought it on themselves with their appalling attitude to referees. The TV people have exploited this situation to ensure their tendrils can weave throughout the very fabric of the game.

The baying mob have exactly what they wanted. Offside decisions? Encroachment at penalties? Dives? Apply the letter of the law. All managers have been asking for is 'consistency', apparently. Now they have it. And it's too late for them to learn to shut the duck up, the moaning twits.

I would add in ex referees who are happy to take a buck by judging their ex colleagues too.

VAR the dominant force in the Liverpool game again...

Correctly awarded Liverpool a goal but then disallows Wolves equalizer due to offside that was at most millimeters - the VAR/offside rule needs changing asap, its turning the game into a farce.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Another joke of a VAR decision, Wolves must feel picked on!

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

VAR the dominant force in the Liverpool game again...

Correctly awarded Liverpool a goal but then disallows Wolves equalizer due to offside that was at most millimeters - the VAR/offside rule needs changing asap, its turning the game into a farce.

LiVARpool strikes again 

Graeme Souness making some good points at halftime - as a Liverpool supporter he knows they have got away with one there. 

He recommends changing the rule so that if any part of the attacker is onside its a goal, not the current farce of being level to the naked eye but your shoulder or whatever being millimeters offside depending upon what frame VAR stops the image on.

That offside decision has to go that way, given the decisions made already across the season. They’ve established a precedent of basically level is offside, and for the rest of the season they have to uphold that in the name of consistency. Horrible because it really shouldn’t be that way, it’s taking away goals rather than adding them. But they’ve made their call now at the start of the season, and they have no choice but to stick with it now.

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Graeme Souness making some good points at halftime - as a Liverpool supporter he knows they have got away with one there. 

He recommends changing the rule so that if any part of the attacker is onside its a goal, not the current farce of being level to the naked eye but your shoulder or whatever being millimeters offside depending upon what frame VAR stops the image on.

It's a good idea but there was no choice but to disallow the goal under the current law.

I was particularly impressed for the Liverpool goal by the Wolves player who was nowhere near the play complaining and claiming handball when he couldn't possibly have seen it clearly. It's just trying to pressure the referee. It's behaviour like that that makes me think football deserves this poo.

The authorities are clearly opposed to VAR and are determined to kill it with a thousand cuts.

I am reminded of when I was a kid and my mum asked me to do some job or other around the house. If it was unpleasant, I determined that I would perform said task so badly that she would never ask me again. 

This is what the Premier League are doing.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's a perfectly correct decision. 

Yeah whatever. But if you can convince me the technology would give the same result each time for different circumstances that would make the decisions equal. But I'm not convinced the technology can.

The point I was making which you chose to ignore - is that it just isn't right, whilst it may be correct.

You seem happy to see what is left of the game go down the tubes.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah whatever. But if you can convince me the technology would give the same result each time for different circumstances that would make the decisions equal. But I'm not convinced the technology can.

The point I was making which you chose to ignore - is that it just isn't right, whilst it may be correct.

You seem happy to see what is left of the game go down the tubes.

You just said it was a joke. I apologise for not being able to infer your profundity. I didn't ignore it - I was just incapable of seeing it in 'Another joke of a VAR decision'.

As for being happy, I am absolutely not. I do feel a little bit of schadenfreude at the expense of those who bayed for 'technology' and now are quite cross about it.

9 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You just said it was a joke. I apologise for not being able to infer your profundity. I didn't ignore it - I was just incapable of seeing it in 'Another joke of a VAR decision'.

As for being happy, I am absolutely not. I do feel a little bit of schadenfreude at the expense of those who bayed for 'technology' and now are quite cross about it.

Well I didn't bay for anything other than technology that could be yes or no, ie was it over the line. IMHO the technology cannot do that for offside or lots of other decisions, they are just more 'opinions'. In which case I prefer to stick with the ref on the pitch. Sorry you don't get the profundity, I'll spell it out next time. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I didn't bay for anything other than technology that could be yes or no, ie was it over the line. IMHO the technology cannot do that for offside or lots of other decisions, they are just more 'opinions'. In which case I prefer to stick with the ref on the pitch. Sorry you don't get the profundity, I'll spell it out next time. 

The 'baying' remark wasn't aimed at you. Apologies if it came across that way.

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The 'baying' remark wasn't aimed at you. Apologies if it came across that way.

There was certainly lots of un-thoughtout baying for VAR from all levels of inside and outside the game. It will eat itself if something isn't done I reckon.

Archived