VAR

1of4

It’s almost removing all the joy experienced when a goal is scored, for the players, managers and fans. Before, you knew immediately if a goal was disallowed. Now you can wait up to  three minutes whilst someone in an office tries to find a reason to disallow it. 
Get rid. Apart from goal line.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, RamNut said:

I still don’t see why offside can’t be determined by computer. 

The position of the ball, and the moment of the strike of the pass can be determined, and the relative position of the players by virtue of the gps sport bras that they wear. Let the position of the torso be relevant. Ignore feet, arms, elbows etc. And don’t set the tolerance to millimetre accuracy. Define level as within six inches or even more. 

A computer can make an instant decision, the same as the goal line technology. 

Var is wiping out some great goals because the technology is fundamentally crap. 

I've thought about this but ultimately a computer would struggle to know when a forward pass has gone to it's intended target and so on. A forward ball could be flicked on by an attacker who was originally off then inside and so on.

However, I do agree that technology could be somehow improved to make this less of a joke than we have today.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Graeme Souness making some good points at halftime - as a Liverpool supporter he knows they have got away with one there. 

He recommends changing the rule so that if any part of the attacker is onside its a goal, not the current farce of being level to the naked eye but your shoulder or whatever being millimeters offside depending upon what frame VAR stops the image on.

Then we get the situation with there being a  millimetre either way in one of these decisions then what ? 

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Graeme Souness making some good points at halftime - as a Liverpool supporter he knows they have got away with one there. 

He recommends changing the rule so that if any part of the attacker is onside its a goal, not the current farce of being level to the naked eye but your shoulder or whatever being millimeters offside depending upon what frame VAR stops the image on.

And we’ll still have the same problem when someone’s armpit is 1mm closer to goal meaning he’s offside. I don’t think it makes it any easier

A big problem is that currently VAR kills all momentum. Football matches can revolve around the swings and changes in momentum. Any pause to decide something that takes more than 30s is destroying that.

With all these incredibly close offside calls, could a linesman make that call with certainty? No. Offside is based on 3 actions at the same time, the position of the attacker, the last defender and the point of which the ball forward is played. The defender and attacker are most likely moving in opposite directions. How can you be certain you have the exact moment that ball is played? And these lines are put in by a human?

They are trying to make offsides as accurate as Hawkeye in tennis, but that is one object hitting a fixed point. Until the margin for error and if lines touch benefit goes to the attacker, it will remain pedantic and soul destroying.

We didn’t need it, goal line technology was enough. I hope we never go up if we have to wait for a someone by a computer to ok it before we can celebrate every time we score a goal.

VAR, winter breaks, Monday night football, corners sponsored by.....RIP football, the game we used to love 

Should just forget all the arbitrary drawing of the lines etc

If someone looking at the screen can’t tell  with their naked eye within, say, 10-20 seconds, the on field decision stands. Any shocker decisions are changed which is really what we are after

Feel like VAR is a good thing in general but the authorities have completely missed the point. People don’t want goals ruled out by millimetres, they want genuinely wrong and poor decisions to be minimised

We all know football is a far superior sport to cricket, however the umpires call rule is a fantastic idea. If it's not clear and obvious, it's the officials decision. As a spectator, you can't wait 2-3 mins whilst a man in a room fannies about deciding if it's an offside or not. We need a 60 second countdown.

No wonder FIFA don't recognise our referee's as top standard. After the last world cup I thought VAR was brilliant because the officials used it properly. If there was a genuine error, they would overturn it. Not tediously analysing for small mistakes like the Premier League insists. The technology needs a number of changes, the most important change is the monkeys on and off the pitch, ruining matches by tinkering with nothing evidence. 

There's a tiny nudge, let's overrule the decision. Wrong attitude by referee's. If it's not clear, DON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND. 

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And we’ll still have the same problem when someone’s armpit is 1mm closer to goal meaning he’s offside. I don’t think it makes it any easier

13 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Then we get the situation with there being a  millimetre either way in one of these decisions then what ? 

One of the pundits yesterday said that the offside law was bought into prevent goal-hanging.  The game has changed so much in recent times and is played at a much faster pace now that depite camera's being used to determine if a player is millimeters offside there is still margin of error.

I think amending the rule in line with what Graeme Souness said will result in more goals and whilst some decisions will always come down to millimeters players will at least look offside rather than some of the highly questionable decisions we are seeing at the moment.

I also think that some bright spark needs to develop a computer program that can determine whether its onside/offside in seconds rather than watching those lines being painstakingly moved into position by a VAR operator.

29 minutes ago, maxjam said:

One of the pundits yesterday said that the offside law was bought into prevent goal-hanging.  The game has changed so much in recent times and is played at a much faster pace now that depite camera's being used to determine if a player is millimeters offside there is still margin of error.

I think amending the rule in line with what Graeme Souness said will result in more goals and whilst some decisions will always come down to millimeters players will at least look offside rather than some of the highly questionable decisions we are seeing at the moment.

I also think that some bright spark needs to develop a computer program that can determine whether its onside/offside in seconds rather than watching those lines being painstakingly moved into position by a VAR operator.

What you really need is a chip in the collar of each player’s shirt. And then another chip in the ball.

the chip in the ball measures forces on the ball, and should be able to tell the moment it leaves the player’s foot, the chips in the neck would determine the definitive positioning of the players. 

they may have armpits offside depending on their body positioning, but there can be no argument if everyone is on the same page. What the chip says goes. 

then the computer could make the decision as fast as the goal line technology, and could even produce the images for the pundits to pour over. 

MMs or not, that way it would be black and white, no arguments.

I suppose the only argument would be whether they’re interfering with play or not, so you’d still always need the human ref. 

it just annoys me that the technology exists, and the money is there in the prem to pay for the special balls and chips in the shirts, so why not?

Archived