VAR

1of4

33 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Feel for Swarbrick a little on the offside, only in as much as he has to play within the rules are they are. Personally, I hate it, every bit of it, I like imperfect, I might hate it at the time, if it goes against you, but at the end of the day these imperfections bring out the passion in football. 

Indeed. There's not much they can do once the decision is handed over to them to make, except to apply the letter of the law. The letter of the law is apparently what people want after all. Even when they don't know what that law is (see the handball furore during and following Liverpool v Man City).

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Indeed. There's not much they can do once the decision is handed over to them to make, except to apply the letter of the law. The letter of the law is apparently what people want after all. Even when they don't know what that law is (see the handball furore during and following Liverpool v Man City).

like I said, how does the clear and obvious work for offsides?

19 minutes ago, Spanish said:

like I said, how does the clear and obvious work for offsides?

It can't really. But it can have a greater margin for error. They are making choices based on mm. Make it something like 5 cm and give that benefit to the attacker. They are trying to judge something where two players are potentially moving in opposite directions, whilst a player who could also be moving is making a pass. Not possible for that to be 100% accurate, not when a human puts the lines in to judge!

14 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

It can't really. But it can have a greater margin for error. They are making choices based on mm. Make it something like 5 cm and give that benefit to the attacker. They are trying to judge something where two players are potentially moving in opposite directions, whilst a player who could also be moving is making a pass. Not possible for that to be 100% accurate, not when a human puts the lines in to judge!

Would also like to know how powerdul the cameras are... when you're ruling goals out for 1mm, are the cameras capable of enough frames per second and able to be stopped in the exact frame the ball leaves a player's foot?

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

"To compensate for these changes; VAR checks will now take twice as long." - I assume.

What information?  'we are about to duck up a decision,  please be patient '

On 12/11/2019 at 09:32, rynny said:

I can't agree with this. The benefit of the doubt is rarely given to the attackers, all marginal calls favour the defence. 

The directive is that the benefit should be given to the attacker but I get your point that it may not always be the case.  It just seems to me that VAR is taking the fun out of the game.

9 hours ago, Coolascustard said:

The directive is that the benefit should be given to the attacker but I get your point that it may not always be the case.  It just seems to me that VAR is taking the fun out of the game.

You need to change your username to "CoolasCocustard"!

Thank me later.  ?

7 minutes ago, TimRam said:

It's killing the game...a goal, fans cheer...not a goal other fans cheer...after a massive delay. Plain daft.

Its every weekend something is wrong.  I think they got the palace goal that was ruled out right, but the sterling one, how they can determine its offside is ridiculous and the Wolves goal ruled offside and clearly wasn’t doesn't go to var because the rules don't allow it.

If you are going to disallow a goal because it might be an inch offside surely the rules should allow you to allow a goal that is clearly onside. 

Just do away with it, it's not a fair system as yesterday proved.

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

It's killing the game...a goal, fans cheer...not a goal other fans cheer...after a massive delay. Plain daft.

Spoilt the excitement of Sheff Utds last minute equalizer today against Man Utd and I didn't care either way!

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Its every weekend something is wrong.  I think they got the palace goal that was ruled out right, but the sterling one, how they can determine its offside is ridiculous and the Wolves goal ruled offside and clearly wasn’t doesn't go to var because the rules don't allow it.

If you are going to disallow a goal because it might be an inch offside surely the rules should allow you to allow a goal that is clearly onside. 

Just do away with it, it's not a fair system as yesterday proved.

Didn’t there used to be a rule on offside that if there is any doubt, you give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. And that was meant to encourage more goals and make games more exciting. 

occurred to me yesterday that VAR is making it harder to score goals. Sterling and Kane have the talent to smash records. That’s always exciting. But if they come a few goals short, to the tune of exactly the amount of dubiously disallowed goals, that’s going to be pretty tragic. 

If the just reinstated that rule, it would make things better. If it’s in the slightest bit debatable, give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. 

At the minute they seem to be actively trying to suck the life out of the game, by finding any excuse to disallow a goal, that would normally be perfectly legit. 

Potential for major controvercy in Saturday's Watford v Burnley match.

At the time Burmley were one up, there was a bit of messy play in the Watford area, a Burnley player went down and there were appeals for a penalty but the ref waved play on. Watford broke quickly, had the chance to equalise, but messed it up and the ball went out for a corner. Before the corner could be taken, VAR stepped in and Burnley were awarded the penalty that they had appealed for a few moments earlier.

Now, let's imagine that this happened in the final minutes of a vital end of season promotion/relegation game, played between bitter rivals. Let us further imagine that the team counter attacking had scored.  Team 1 think they have equalised, and their fans go wild. But wait... what's this? VAR says no goal because team 2 should have a penalty instead.

There would be mayhem, and probably not a little crowd trouble.

VAR is insane. Kill it now, before it kills the game.

Crap once again by VAR. Why doesn’t the referee check the monitor on penalty decisions. I’m sick of it. Games getting dictated in the little office and I hate it. Why can’t these clown officials start using the technology properly?

2 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Crap once again by VAR. Why doesn’t the referee check the monitor on penalty decisions. I’m sick of it. Games getting dictated in the little office and I hate it. Why can’t these clown officials start using the technology properly?

It's not the referee's decision not to consult a monitor

• 2 weeks later...

Archived