Sign in to follow this  
1of4

VAR

If VAR is implemented in the Premiership the same as it as been in the womens world cup. It should make for some interesting viewing. 

Nearly makes me pleased that we'll not be part of the ensuing madness that will be the Premiership next season.

I like it- it’s good fun. Adds to the entertainment, only when it’s not your team involved tho! Has to be in place, far too many refereeing mistakes these days, they need help. Tight margins are hard in real time, but often on videos much easier.

A main problem with VAR is when the ref goes over to the screen, they are only showed one angle, and quite a few times it has been the worst angle possible to make the correct decision. 

Will never work while it's implemented in it's current format. Having to recheck everything, may as well have no onfield referees or linesman.

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

If VAR is implemented in the Premiership the same as it as been in the womens world cup. It should make for some interesting viewing. 

Nearly makes me pleased that we'll not be part of the ensuing madness that will be the Premiership next season.

Or even the Premier League

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Get VAR into the ducking sea.

burn it.

Burn everyone who advocated for it.

Too early for.........

"Oh the VAR system.....Oh the VAR system....you put your left leg in, your right leg out...Oh the VAR system, put the Scottish out"?

Gets to a stage where I’d rather just accept mistakes in the game and get on with it.

I’m happy for technology to be introduced but it has to improve the game, like goal-line technology. VAR so far is ruining it.

Sorry @RadioactiveWaste. What made it worse, it took about 10 mins to work out that it was a penalty, as the VAR team left it with the ref to watch the screen, the ref must have watched about 20 replays before she opted to go with the attacking team, but then added no extra time on the already 4 or 5 mins extra time. 

Another example of the folk running the beautiful game of football doing their upmost to ruin it.

And what did Argentina achieve by gaining a point, putting Scotland and themselves out of the competition.

30 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Sorry @RadioactiveWaste. What made it worse, it took about 10 mins to work out that it was a penalty, as the VAR team left it with the ref to watch the screen, the ref must have watched about 20 replays before she opted to go with the attacking team, but then added no extra time on the already 4 or 5 mins extra time. 

Another example of the folk running the beautiful game of football doing their upmost to ruin it.

And what did Argentina achieve by gaining a point, putting Scotland and themselves out of the competition.

I can't say it wasn't a pen, it clearly was, but the whole faf about it just made the situation seem even worse (then the retake.... Wasn't the worse a keepers ever come off the line) than throwing away a three goal lead in a crucial match already was.

Scotland did seem to have the crappy end of the VAR this world Cup.

Had a discussion amongst footy fans in a pub the other night....Isn't VAR supposed to be for clear and obvious errors ??

Its a great idea but being over used for things like the incidents in the Scotland Argentina game........ the scotland keeper was a few millimeters of off her line and someones toe was offside in another game!!! totally ridiculous and will spoil the game.

Also handball in the area has now gone crazy...if they changed it to ..only intentional handballs and where an arm has prevented a goal I'm sure everyone would be happier.

We want to see  skill rewarded with  goals not just a team whipping into the box hoping to catch an arm or a hand ( this may well happen more and will not add to the game in my view )

Regarding offsides...does the law not say a player has to be between the last defender and the goalkeeper or last player whichever it is......to be classified as offside ? now its if your toe is offside....crazy.......

VAR....great idea being overused 

4 hours ago, Saity said:

Had a discussion amongst footy fans in a pub the other night....Isn't VAR supposed to be for clear and obvious errors ??

Its a great idea but being over used for things like the incidents in the Scotland Argentina game........ the scotland keeper was a few millimeters of off her line and someones toe was offside in another game!!! totally ridiculous and will spoil the game.

Also handball in the area has now gone crazy...if they changed it to ..only intentional handballs and where an arm has prevented a goal I'm sure everyone would be happier.

We want to see  skill rewarded with  goals not just a team whipping into the box hoping to catch an arm or a hand ( this may well happen more and will not add to the game in my view )

Regarding offsides...does the law not say a player has to be between the last defender and the goalkeeper or last player whichever it is......to be classified as offside ? now its if your toe is offside....crazy.......

VAR....great idea being overused 

Yep, these rules are brought in to stop a team getting an unfair advantage. So the spirit of offside is to ensure that strikers don’t just goal hang. Being a toe offside is not goal hanging, it’s not gaining an advantage. 

Just like jumping off your line a split second too early, in the Scotland game, she didn’t save that because she jumped off the line a moment too early, she saved it vos it was a crap penalty. 

you've got to draw the line somewhere, so by the letter of the law they are offside or whatever. But if they just implemented the clear and obvious rule, it would allow for fractional decisions like this to go unpunished, which is not a bad thing. 

And that doesn’t have to be as ambiguous as it sounds. 

Can it be seen in real time? yes, the ref makes the decision as always. 

Has the ref not made the decision (distracted by something else), or is not confident about the decision they’ve made because of an obscured view? Yes, go to var. 

look at every angle once. If the refs decision is clearly wrong on the first look, overrule it. If it’s not immediately obvious, the refs original decision stands. 

Simples. 

The thing is, they’re checking it by default now for every decision, even when no one in either team thought their was an error. Then they’re finding things that no one even suspected was there in the first place. 

The problem is that football doesn't lend itself to the review system, it is too fluid and fast moving. If I look at three other sports that use it then I see the point. Rugby Union the game flows and continues while the VAR make the decision when used in game play. For tries, in both Union and League, the game has come to a natural stop so VAR adds to the tension and is a useful addition. Same for cricket, you don't have to stop the game to review the play.

In football VAR is often not helpful in how it comes to a conclusion and I think other technologies - such as sensors in shirts and the goal posts - would help us get a lot quicker to understanding than human camera reviews for things like offside and the ball crossing the line.

As for VAR being used to determine whether a goalie was on the line when the penalty was taken, well that is just daft. Ref - you had one job!

51 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The problem is that football doesn't lend itself to the review system, it is too fluid and fast moving. If I look at three other sports that use it then I see the point. Rugby Union the game flows and continues while the VAR make the decision when used in game play. For tries, in both Union and League, the game has come to a natural stop so VAR adds to the tension and is a useful addition. Same for cricket, you don't have to stop the game to review the play.

In football VAR is often not helpful in how it comes to a conclusion and I think other technologies - such as sensors in shirts and the goal posts - would help us get a lot quicker to understanding than human camera reviews for things like offside and the ball crossing the line.

As for VAR being used to determine whether a goalie was on the line when the penalty was taken, well that is just daft. Ref - you had one job!

Er! yes you do.