VAR

1of4

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ossieram said:

Son was on his way down before the keeper touched his thigh.

It’s debatable though isn’t it? Which means VAR actually did exactly what it’s supposed to do for once, it’s not a clear and obvious mistake, therefore referees decision stands. I wish they’d do that more often. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s debatable though isn’t it? Which means VAR actually did exactly what it’s supposed to do for once, it’s not a clear and obvious mistake, therefore referees decision stands. I wish they’d do that more often. 

Why'd the ref not look at it again though?

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

Why'd the ref not look at it again though?

Cos var didn’t flag it as an obvious error. And because even if they did, it’s still debatable. I’ve heard people swear blind it was a penalty, and people swear blind it wasn’t. It’s funny people are moaning about var I’m this situation, cos it’s actually doing what it’s supposed to, which is not interfere and let the referee’s initial decision stand as there’s not been a blatant mistake. 

People moan when var sticks it’s oar in, and then they moan when it doesn’t. Can’t win. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Cos var didn’t flag it as an obvious error. And because even if they did, it’s still debatable. I’ve heard people swear blind it was a penalty, and people swear blind it wasn’t. It’s funny people are moaning about var I’m this situation, cos it’s actually doing what it’s supposed to, which is not interfere and let the referee’s initial decision stand as there’s not been a blatant mistake. 

People moan when var sticks it’s oar in, and then they moan when it doesn’t. Can’t win. 

That's because there's no consistency to it. It hasn't chimed in here, but similar decisions it has, and the referee never looks himself. Each referee applies the law differently, which is why it's really strange when decision gets taken off him to someone else. Whole thing is horrendously implemented.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I'm certainly in favour.

What it doesnt tell you in the headline that Wenger is recommending a caveat stating that VAR officials can just claim to have 'not seen it' if they are unable to make a decision one way or another.

10 hours ago, rynny said:

Brilliant idea. 

Won't solve anything, just move the point of VAR intervention and bungling without solving the fundamental issue. It would however hand more of advantage to the attacking side. Might well lead to more goals because the change favors the attacking side but won't of itself reduce the capacity for VAR to be the single most irritating invention since the fidget spinner. 

Lets just start altering the character and balance of the game (all games, everywhere, even ones with VAR, which is millions) to accommodate the massive fecal exhibition of VAR because now they've brought it in they won't ever get rid of it. Changing the offside rule to favor the attacking side more is perfectly reasonable debate to have, but changing it because VAR is driving fans up the wall is the sort of wrong headed approach many of us antiVARers feared.

My two pennies worth anyway.

But I'm some dild on the internet and not a highly successful football manager with a lifetime in the game.

3 hours ago, TimRam said:

Right or wrong it's just plain daft when a goal is scored and the crowd cheer with excitement only to have it ruled out sometimes MINUTES later. It's ruining the game.

Indeed. But when referees in this country are at as poor a level as they are now, there’s no other option. There’s too many big decisions being given the wrong way, and they can make or break a clubs season sometimes. I mean, where might we have been if we’d have had VAR when Madley sent Martin off incorrectly? With him still on the pitch, do we win that game? If so, then we have a damn sight better chance at promotion. It’s all ifs, buts and maybes of course, and who knows how it really would have all panned out. But the fact remains we were robbed of the chance at finding out by a poor officiating decision.

VAR is a necessary evil in the game.

23 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Indeed. But when referees in this country are at as poor a level as they are now, there’s no other option. There’s too many big decisions being given the wrong way, and they can make or break a clubs season sometimes. I mean, where might we have been if we’d have had VAR when Madley sent Martin off incorrectly? With him still on the pitch, do we win that game? If so, then we have a damn sight better chance at promotion. It’s all ifs, buts and maybes of course, and who knows how it really would have all panned out. But the fact remains we were robbed of the chance at finding out by a poor officiating decision.

VAR is a necessary evil in the game.

Would be OK if there wasn't so many bad decisions being missed by VAR. That's not even considering the stupid offside fiascos.

On 20/02/2020 at 22:29, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Basically just get rid of VAR and get clubs and media to agree to ensure their players, coaches, managers, fans and members of the media respect every decision of the ref and treat them with respect. 

FTFY

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That ain’t the tech though, that’s the refs using it. Agree on the offside, rules deffo need changing 

I dont think it needs changing really. What needs changing for me is that when VAR has a look it doesnt take forever and have some stupid line drawn on the image trying to decide if its mm perfect.

How about VAR takes one look, does it 'look' offside or not, is it obvious that the on field officials have made the wrong decision one way or another? If it cant be decided within 30 seconds then stick with the original decision.

Archived