VAR

1of4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/01/2020 at 17:55, Highgate said:

I'm just saying VAR as it stands is incompatible with football as we know it.  If we can't celebrate goals like we used to, then VAR is damaging football as a spectator sport.  That's down to VAR as it's been implemented at the moment.

Managers,pundits and fans for that matter bear the responsibility for making VAR seem necessary in the first place.  Referees and match officials are always going to make mistakes...they are human and officiating can be very difficult in real time. 

There was so much demand to use technology that nobody stopped to consider what the actual cost would be in terms ruining the spectating experience. 

Was talking to a Leicester ST holder yesterday and he says it’s ruined the matchday experience. He’s not bothered about the decisions being wrong/right/marginal, just the fact that having VAR week in, week out means that they’ve more or less stopped celebrating goals. Surely the essence of football right there?

s it stands, I’d stick with VAR in competition/cup football, as each match is essentially important in it’s own right (and you’d still get to have the BIG celebration at the end if you win), but for league football – what’s the point? Over a ~40 game season these borderline decisions tend to even themselves out.

Just now, SchtivePesley said:

Was talking to a Leicester ST holder yesterday and he says it’s ruined the matchday experience. He’s not bothered about the decisions being wrong/right/marginal, just the fact that having VAR week in, week out means that they’ve more or less stopped celebrating goals. Surely the essence of football right there?

s it stands, I’d stick with VAR in competition/cup football, as each match is essentially important in it’s own right (and you’d still get to have the BIG celebration at the end if you win), but for league football – what’s the point? Over a ~40 game season these borderline decisions tend to even themselves out.

On VAR, I'd agree entirely with that Leicester fan.  Even if VAR was to get the correct decisions 100% of the time, which it clearly isn't doing, I would be still against it.  As infuriating as refereeing errors were, they didn't actually make football a less entertaining game to watch.  VAR as it is designed now, even operated perfectly, clearly makes it less entertaining by robbing fans of the immediate joy of the goal celebration. 

For me, unless VAR decisions could be all but instantaneous like goal-line technology I'd bin the whole thing altogether at the end of the season.  Fans, managers and pundits would just have to accept that football officiating is flawed, but that the VAR cure was worse than the disease.  I can't see that happening though, I fear VAR is here to stay. 

Why is VAR only being used at PL stadiums for the FA Cup?

Another example of incompetence. Surely all teams in a competition should have a level playing field.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Why is VAR only being used at PL stadiums for the FA Cup?

Another example of incompetence. Surely all teams in a competition should have a level playing field.

Yep, you either have it in every game in a competition - or you don’t have it at all in that tournament. Simple as that. If we had VAR the other night, we’d have had a man advantage for almost the whole game and would’ve almost certainly progressed to the next round. 

Its too difficult to implement across a competition so big clearly, so just don’t have it at all in cup competitions.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Yep, you either have it in every game in a competition - or you don’t have it at all in that tournament. Simple as that. If we had VAR the other night, we’d have had a man advantage for almost the whole game and would’ve almost certainly progressed to the next round. 

Its too difficult to implement across a competition so big clearly, so just don’t have it at all in cup competitions.

I could tolerate it coming in at the 3rd round stage for simply pragmatic reasons, but as VAR amounts to a few cameras and an internet connection I don't buy the "technical reasons it can only be at premier league grounds"

Ultimately I agree though, it should be all, or none, without discrimination and unequal rules.

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I could tolerate it coming in at the 3rd round stage for simply pragmatic reasons, but as VAR amounts to a few cameras and an internet connection I don't buy the "technical reasons it can only be at premier league grounds"

Ultimately I agree though, it should be all, or none, without discrimination and unequal rules.

Yeah I think if there’s to be any inconsistency throughout the tournament, then it has to be VAR being used in some rounds and not others, rather than some matches and not others. You can see an argument for introducing it later on when there’s not many games a round so we can cope with it. 

Personally, I very much doubt it’s just a “technical” problem that it can’t be used in all games - I think it’s far more likely that we simply don’t have enough officials trained to use it to cover that many games, since it’s only currently used by top flight refs. Personally don’t think it should be used in cup competitions until it’s used in every league eligible, so we have enough officials to use it every round. In the FA cup, that’ll be never. In the league cup, you’d hope sometime in the future it’ll be possible. We need to focus on introducing it further down the leagues first of all- as well as fixing the obvious issues with it. The next stage needs to be getting it into championship level.

38 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

On Saturday afternoons there's usually between 5 and 7 live PL matches so I'm assuming there's the same number of 'VAR refs' sitting in separate studios?

There's 16 matches in the 5th round - take away half a dozen to be televised on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday means, with referees at each match, plus 4th officials plus VAR adjudicators, that's 30 requiired so they will have to drop down to Championship-level for the shortfall.

Heaven help us if that includes the likes of Darren England!

If it wasn't for VAR we'd have had to watch so many more goals.

As Ed Dawes understands only too well, the aim of the game is not to score goals, but to officiate beyond reproach. 

20 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

You've got to love VAR

That was pathetic all round, Its either a Red or no offence at all surely.

And the afters was just handbags handled by a referee who had clearly lost control.

Sad to see the game I once loved completely destroyed.

2 minutes to make a decision that only needed 1 replay. What would have happened if Spurs had scored in that time?

For the penalty Lloris was off his line and then in the aftermath if Sterling has not been brought down then it's a second yellow card for him.

If VAR has been brought to make sure every big decision is 100% correct, fine. But as it is they are taking the passion out of the game and still getting decisions wrong.

I'm glad we are not in the Premier League right now.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

2 minutes to make a decision that only needed 1 replay. What would have happened if Spurs had scored in that time?

For the penalty Lloris was off his line and then in the aftermath if Sterling has not been brought down then it's a second yellow card for him.

If VAR has been brought to make sure every big decision is 100% correct, fine. But as it is they are taking the passion out of the game and still getting decisions wrong.

I have no idea,  how long can you take it back? What if Spurs had scored or a challenge made that was a red or yellow card?  Surely if play is brought back any subsequent actions are irrelevant?? 

Its a mess. Sterling should have been sent off anyway before.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Spot on, totally agree. It does not have to be this way i think. I watched the rugby this afternoon and ok it is a different game but it video replay is so smooth compared to the complete shambles in the PL. To make matters worse where the VAR seems to be another 3 or 4 in the VAR studio, TMO for rugby seems to be one bloke. The difference is he knows what he is doing and is quick to come to a decision. It certainly has not ruined the game or the atmosphere at the rugby whereas for football they seem to manage to have done in about 4 months!

43 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Spot on, totally agree. It does not have to be this way i think. I watched the rugby this afternoon and ok it is a different game but it video replay is so smooth compared to the complete shambles in the PL. To make matters worse where the VAR seems to be another 3 or 4 in the VAR studio, TMO for rugby seems to be one bloke. The difference is he knows what he is doing and is quick to come to a decision. It certainly has not ruined the game or the atmosphere at the rugby whereas for football they seem to manage to have done in about 4 months!

For me, a decision should require 2 maybe 3 maximum replays, if you cant tell from that then I'm afraid it's not clear and obvious and you are no better positioned than the referee to be giving the decision.

For it to be taking 2 minutes is a complete embarrassment.

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

For me, a decision should require 2 maybe 3 maximum replays, if you cant tell from that then I'm afraid it's not clear and obvious and you are no better positioned than the referee to be giving the decision.

For it to be taking 2 minutes is a complete embarrassment.

30 seconds seems to be the common consensus for making a decision. Even if that was cut down to 20 seconds I’m sure a high percentage of those would be correct. 

In Rugby League we have good and bad points with the video ref. If the on field ref has a doubt about a try, he’ll send it up as eg. (I think player x was offside from the kick). The video ref can only look from that point onwards. The bad part is the var is sponsored by KFC so they send up everything just so the sponsors ads are on the screen while the decision is made. Drives you mad.

Var fails again by failing to overturn son penalty,  a clear dive. 

Goes to prove var isnt to get the right decision,  its to make sure the right club gets the decision.

Archived