VAR

1of4

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That ain’t the tech though, that’s the refs using it. Agree on the offside, rules deffo need changing 

That’s my point - I think we’ve had circa ten clear and obvious decisions this season (Red cards like Maguire) or penalties not given which had they been called correctly then the only discussion would be around offside or the rules themselves.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole implementation seems to be wrong - when a goal is scored they'll trawl through all the build up play looking for a fractional offside so they can disallow the goal, yet in the Man City/West Ham game the other night, Aguero was quite clearly fouled in the box but no penalty given because the linesman had flagged for offside - replays showed there was no offside but the VAR team decided not to review the incident - completely inconsistent.

I also don't see how the game can be allowed to continue while a VAR review is ongoing - what if a team scores a goal during the time a review is taking place? Will that goal stand if play should be taken back to award a previous penalty or send a player off? VAR reviews should take place while play is suspended and should take no more than 30 seconds - if the review can't decide in that time, then the original Ref's decision should stand. Or better still (as I've previously advocated) leave the decision for a VAR review to the Ref's discretion - only review if he's not 100% sure or if it's an off the ball incident that has been missed by the on-field officials.....

Correct decision. Look at the whole run of play in real time not just the super slow mo outtake.

The Tottenham player was climbing/stepping away from one  challenge and focussed on trying to reach the ball, the Chelsea player is challenging from the side / behind him which places his leg right in the path of the spurs player's foot. Nothing he could have done to avoid it.

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

Changed my mind anyway, if they're all allowed to then so am I!

Reckless/dangerous play because he jumped into it, so a red, but it wasn't an intentional stamp, he'd already made his mind up what he was doing before the Chelsea player's leg came into the equation.

No your not.

A quite indepth analisis.

Correct decision. Look at the whole run of play in real time not just the super slow mo outtake.

The Tottenham player was climbing/stepping away from one  challenge and focussed on trying to reach the ball, the Chelsea player is challenging from the side / behind him which places his leg right in the path of the spurs player's foot. Nothing he could have done to avoid it.

La Celso's only excuse could be is that he saw a large spider and he tried to kill it, But Azpilicueta shin got in the way, David Coote the official at Stockley Park needs to go on a referees course....oh wait a minute.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

No your not.

A quite indepth analisis.

La Celso's only excuse could be is that he saw a large spider and he tried to kill it, But Azpilicueta shin got in the way, David Coote the official at Stockley Park needs to go on a referees course....oh wait a minute.

Which is still what happened, just with the Tottenham player stupidly jumping in and being out of control. It's a red card because it's dangerous play, not malicious. He hasn't put his full weight down on him, which you would do if it was intentional.

You're applying superhuman levels of reaction time and thought processes to an incident that in real time happened in about half a second because of super slow motion and about 5 camera angles making everything looks worse than it is.

50 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Which is still what happened, just with the Tottenham player stupidly jumping in and being out of control. It's a red card because it's dangerous play, not malicious. He hasn't put his full weight down on him, which you would do if it was intentional.

You're applying superhuman levels of reaction time and thought processes to an incident that in real time happened in about half a second because of super slow motion and about 5 camera angles making everything looks worse than it is.

Let me Forensically dissect your statement.

1 The Tottenham player stupidly jumping in and being out of control. He wasn't out of control, He was standing over him.

2. It's a red card because it's dangerous play, Correct.

3. Not malicious, Only La Celso knows whether it was Malicious or Not.

4. He hasn't put his full weight down on him, which you would do if it was intentional. No logic to that statement.

5. You're applying superhuman levels of reaction time and thought processes to an incident that in real time happened in about half a second, Believe me I'm not, A student at the school of Stevie Wonder sight savers would have seen it.

And Finally

6. About 5 camera angles making everything looks worse than it is, A camera angle will not make the tackle worse than it is, You'll get a better view, But it wont make it worse.

All the best from...R. Charles.

Some very very poor decisions today. Nothing to do with the tech though, just the incompetent generation of English officials operating it. Bournemouth in particular were very hard done by. I’d argue a couple of wrong decisions in the City game as well, and the Lo Celso one should have been a red, even if not deliberate.

I like incorrect decisions, contentious ones and a sense of injustice. Nothing creates a good atmosphere like a poor ref. Derby v Boro and Jonathan Hunt being exhibit A. Remember the game Kewell dived to win a penalty...remember anything else about the game?

So glad we don’t have to suffer VAR. great vision by the club to realise what was ahead and deliberately avoid promotion for the past 5 years. 

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

The handball in the build up to the first Bournemouth disallowed goal was absolutely not handball.

Just seen that. That was hilariously bad. 

In it’s current state, the game of football is entirely broken at the top level. Actually makes you happy we won’t be going up this season until this is fixed in some form. 

14 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Right, wrong, indiffferent. VAR is bloody awful, taking the soul out of the game.

I totally agree. Football is about the moment a goal is scored...the excitement and thrill. It's why we return time and time again to watch the game.

VAR works in other sports because whenever it's used it's always done at a natural stop in play. Rugby for a try or not, tennis after a point is played, cricket after a bowl is balled etc

In football the play is ongoing and things are happening. I dont think I am against the concept, but in it's current form its not providing the match day benefit it should do.

Just catching up on PL highlights and the VAR decision in Burnley/Bournemouth is mind-boggling. 

You let them play on, the other team scores then you go back and give the penalty? Where does that end. If they play on but the ball doesn't go out of play for 10 minutes before they score do you just undo 10 minutes of football because one ref thought another ref missed a penalty?

ducking stupid.

Also, either have the on-field refs make decisions at the monitor themselves or shut the whole system down. No matter what improvements/rule changes might come in it will never work until that happens.

58 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Just catching up on PL highlights and the VAR decision in Burnley/Bournemouth is mind-boggling. 

You let them play on, the other team scores then you go back and give the penalty? Where does that end. If they play on but the ball doesn't go out of play for 10 minutes before they score do you just undo 10 minutes of football because one ref thought another ref missed a penalty?

ducking stupid.

Also, either have the on-field refs make decisions at the monitor themselves or shut the whole system down. No matter what improvements/rule changes might come in it will never work until that happens.

Does the clock get reset? Do fans get back the time used up by void football between the incident and the penalty?

Archived