The Championship 19/20

Day

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't really see any context for that incident. Maybe he did hit him for no reason and whilst the force used probably wasn't proportionate to whatever was going on I wouldn't immediately jump on the policeman as some "evil scumbag". Can't even really fully see what happens in any of those videos.

27 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Didn't really see any context for that incident. Maybe he did hit him for no reason and whilst the force used probably wasn't proportionate to whatever was going on I wouldn't immediately jump on the policeman as some "evil scumbag". Can't even really fully see what happens in any of those videos.

Under what scenario would it be acceptable for the Police Officer to run up and whack someone on the back of the head with his baton?

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Under what scenario would it be acceptable for the Police Officer to run up and whack someone on the back of the head with his baton?

If the other guy had just been using or threatening to use a knife?

After seeing the other guy smash a lump of concrete over someones head?

After seeing the other guy pepper spray a copper?

I'd have thought the scenarios are infinite, but as @GenBr hinted at, we don't know what happened in the lead up, or why the cop used such force.  Equally, there me be no excuse for what he (the cop) did. 

One thing's for certain, I doubt anyone on here knows?

43 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Literally thousands of possible scenarios. For all we know he wasn't even aiming for the head, but caught him on the bonce by accident. If that chap was putting someone elses safety at risk it is the polices job to make him stop - using force if necessary. 

A policeman also suffered several injuries and there was trouble between the sets of fans. It's a highly stressful situation with adrenaline running high. These guys are still human beings and can make mistakes. I can still have empathy for the policeman especially since we can see basically nothing in those videos.

9 hours ago, GenBr said:

Literally thousands of possible scenarios. For all we know he wasn't even aiming for the head, but caught him on the bonce by accident. If that chap was putting someone elses safety at risk it is the polices job to make him stop - using force if necessary. 

A policeman also suffered several injuries and there was trouble between the sets of fans. It's a highly stressful situation with adrenaline running high. These guys are still human beings and can make mistakes. I can still have empathy for the policeman especially since we can see basically nothing in those videos.

Was thinking "I doubt a peaceful group of fans were respectfully making their way home after enjoying the match but were set upon by police crazed and intent on violence"

The police will have to investigate, that's right and proper.

10 hours ago, GenBr said:

A lot of different scenarios could lead to the police officer hitting him... but in the head and with a run up from behind? Not quite so many (if any). It appears he wasn't an immediate threat to anyone, so the first target areas should have been muscles on the arms and legs. The head is a last resort due to the high risk of death. Given the run up and surprising the boy from behind, I highly suspect this wasn't a last resort.

Having been given riot control training by the RUC we were told under no circumstance were we to aim for the head.....always fleshy parts.....sometimes mistakes were made when your in a full on brawl with rioters, but that lad was walking away and got smashed on the back of the head.....that copper is a disgrace and should be banged up for wounding with intent at the very least

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A lot of different scenarios could lead to the police officer hitting him... but in the head and with a run up from behind? Not quite so many (if any). It appears he wasn't an immediate threat to anyone, so the first target areas should have been muscles on the arms and legs. The head is a last resort due to the high risk of death. Given the run up and surprising the boy from behind, I highly suspect this wasn't a last resort.

As I said it is very hard to see what happens in any of the videos posted. They all zoom out for some reason just as he gets hit. He could have been aiming lower down for all I can tell from that video - it doesn't have to be malicious as you immediately assumed - believe it or not it is possible it was an accident. In this case I wouldn't say it was reasonable to hit him in the head, but I have yet to see any evidence as to what is actually going on here - either in the videos or anywhere else. 

Archived