The Championship 19/20

Day

Birmingham facing ANOTHER point deduction for failing FFP. How is that even possible! 

I'd like to see the clubs owners make a stand on this. I'd be absolutely satisfied with a wage cap, even an active wage cap, whereby if a relegated team comes down with a lot of players on big wages they can only 'register' players underneath the cap. The ones not registered aren't allowed to play. 

FFP (P&S) causes ramifications that outweigh the supposed good it was put there to achieve. The relegated clubs get an unholy head start in terms of finances and the players in this division will want their wages to match their ability regardless of the club's situation. I believe it's genuinely hurting interest - I mean, Birmingham fans may have to sit through yet another season with a point deduction, through no fault of their own. I wouldn't blame them for being apathetic to the situation. 

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Birmingham facing ANOTHER point deduction for failing FFP. How is that even possible! 

I'd like to see the clubs owners make a stand on this. I'd be absolutely satisfied with a wage cap, even an active wage cap, whereby if a relegated team comes down with a lot of players on big wages they can only 'register' players underneath the cap. The ones not registered aren't allowed to play. 

FFP (P&S) causes ramifications that outweigh the supposed good it was put there to achieve. The relegated clubs get an unholy head start in terms of finances and the players in this division will want their wages to match their ability regardless of the club's situation. I believe it's genuinely hurting interest - I mean, Birmingham fans may have to sit through yet another season with a point deduction, through no fault of their own. I wouldn't blame them for being apathetic to the situation. 

I do like wage caps in the US - really improves parity and competitiveness. 

But it would have to be universally adopted, from the prem down (with relative figures obviously), and I really can't see PL owners going for it.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

But it would have to be universally adopted, from the prem down (with relative figures obviously), and I really can't see PL owners going for it.

Don't think it would work here, for 2 reasons... there's promotion and relegation, and there's no draft system.

28 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

A wage cap as a proportion to turnover is probably the only way to go (like in League 1 and 2)

League 2 - 55% of turnover. Owners can donate as much as they want. Monitored monthly and a transfer ban if overspent.
League 1 - 60% of turnover, but 75% if recently relegated from Championship. Owners can donate as much as they want. Monitored monthly and a transfer ban if overspent.

Based on that, you could say 75% of turnover but 90% if recently relegated for the Championship with owners donating as much as they want. I think that would please 92% of this League.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Thing is it'd have to be across all the major leagues to be effective.

NFL etc, effectively are the entire sport at the elite level. Wage cap the prem but not Serie A and you'd have an exodus to where the wages are biggest.

On 06/01/2020 at 23:10, Ambitious said:

Birmingham fans may have to sit through yet another season with a point deduction, through no fault of their own.

Nobody forced them to support Birmingham, should have gone with Villa. No sympathy.

On 07/01/2020 at 09:28, Millenniumram said:

FFP is a load of bank. Just serves to support the status quo and gives only parachute payment teams any significant chance of promotion.

Fundamentally, the game cannot resolve the step change from PL to EFL while there are 2 completely separate bodies in charge, with differing priorities.

The PL should be re-nationalised under the FA......where was that idea in Jezza's manifesto??

15 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Fundamentally, the game cannot resolve the step change from PL to EFL while there are 2 completely separate bodies in charge, with differing priorities.

The PL should be re-nationalised under the FA......where was that idea in Jezza's manifesto??

Have, and work with me here, a 4 division premier league, administer by the FA and called The Football League, with divisions 1,2,3,4.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Is that being suggested? I thought he's always looked dodgy. 

I think people were making the conclusion based on Leeds being top of the cleansheets chart. That, obviously, has more to do with (when they're playing well) the fact they keep the ball for 90% of the game ? 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Is that being suggested? I thought he's always looked dodgy. 

21 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think people were making the conclusion based on Leeds being top of the cleansheets chart. That, obviously, has more to do with (when they're playing well) the fact they keep the ball for 90% of the game ? 

It is mainly (only) Leeds fans. They lose their poo if he isn't in a "best keeper in the championship" list. Saw one over Xmas on twitter, and the amount of abuse that they gave was unreal, and funny. 

Just now, Shipley Ram said:

I notice that the Leeds fans seem upset and are calling Bamford a useless Bamford.

Gotta love those megalomanic Leeds fans!

Not only they would've brought more fans everyduckingwhere, they also have to have the worst swearwords.

On 07/01/2020 at 00:10, Ambitious said:

apparently auditors are warning that there is a “material uncertainty” which casts “significant doubt” on their ability to continue as a going concern.  They have done a 'Derby' and sold their ground for a mere £23m

25 minutes ago, Spanish said:

apparently auditors are warning that there is a “material uncertainty” which casts “significant doubt” on their ability to continue as a going concern.  They have done a 'Derby' and sold their ground for a mere £23

FTFY

Archived